UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

emlaw03

New

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by emlaw03 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 am

I don't understand why they can't send an email saying "at this time we cannot offer you any merit aid" instead of keeping us in the dark[/quote]

Because law school admissions is quite possibly the most tedious and uncertain process I have ever encountered. #ghostedbyschoolsfor6mos[/quote]
Well. That just plain stinks.[/quote]

can someone call and confirm that they are done with merit aid for now? i already called late last week so i dont want to seem desperate -- even tho I am[/quote]

At ASW she said if you don't receive anything in 7-10 days (10 days was yesterday) then you can assume you're not being offered anything at this time.

I think they're open to negotiation though since that's what they did in the past[/quote]

I just contacted admissions and they said that I am still under consideration. No decision made either way. Just an FYI.[/quote]

Who did you speak with? I was told all decisions have gone out as of now.

jackstraw92

New

Post by jackstraw92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

chargers21 wrote:Berkeley has not updated their website since ending the matching scholarship program, and the information on how to apply for scholarship reconsideration seems outdated, with the email still being matching@law.berkeley.edu. Anyone have any insight on this front?
They explained this at ASW - the matching scholarship program has ended but it's basically been replaced by the "scholarship reconsideration" process, which still uses the same matching@law.berkeley.edu email account. It was pretty clear they expect that admits will attach peer offers when they make reconsideration requests, and you have to give a specific amount of aid you're asking for.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:31 am

emlaw03 wrote:I don't understand why they can't send an email saying "at this time we cannot offer you any merit aid" instead of keeping us in the dark
Because law school admissions is quite possibly the most tedious and uncertain process I have ever encountered. #ghostedbyschoolsfor6mos[/quote]
Well. That just plain stinks.[/quote]

can someone call and confirm that they are done with merit aid for now? i already called late last week so i dont want to seem desperate -- even tho I am[/quote]

At ASW she said if you don't receive anything in 7-10 days (10 days was yesterday) then you can assume you're not being offered anything at this time.

I think they're open to negotiation though since that's what they did in the past[/quote]

I just contacted admissions and they said that I am still under consideration. No decision made either way. Just an FYI.[/quote]

Who did you speak with? I was told all decisions have gone out as of now.[/quote]

I just emailed the admissions office and got a response.

emlaw03

New

Post by emlaw03 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 am

I just emailed the admissions office and got a response.[/quote]

Ugh. They're the worst. I spoke with the financial aid office over the phone and specifically asked if not receiving any merit notifications meant at this time we weren't receiving anything. She said yes. Did the admissions tell you when they would conclude?

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

emlaw03 wrote:I just emailed the admissions office and got a response.
Ugh. They're the worst. I spoke with the financial aid office over the phone and specifically asked if not receiving any merit notifications meant at this time we weren't receiving anything. She said yes. Did the admissions tell you when they would conclude?[/quote]

+1 also was told I'm under consideration

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am

emlaw03 wrote:I just emailed the admissions office and got a response.
Ugh. They're the worst. I spoke with the financial aid office over the phone and specifically asked if not receiving any merit notifications meant at this time we weren't receiving anything. She said yes. Did the admissions tell you when they would conclude?[/quote]

I feel like all of this inconsistency is a negotiating tactic designed to weaken your will to negotiate and to sow confusion so that applicants don't get an information advantage. Ugh.
Last edited by calpolisci2016 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am

Honestly the administrative nightmare that Berkeley seems to be makes me somewhat hesitant to continue seriously consider the school.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am

How many Berkeley applicants does it take to fix a broken quote?

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am

Confirmed. Berk is the biggest dumpster fire in the T13 right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 am

Latest response I got from admissions:

"We will notify everyone once the scholarship awarding process has concluded. We do not transmit individual notifications."

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

big_willy_style_333 wrote:Confirmed. Berk is the biggest dumpster fire in the T13 right now.
Cornell makin a play to jump it this year.

treetops_rising

New

Post by treetops_rising » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 am

LawTweet wrote:Honestly the administrative nightmare that Berkeley seems to be makes me somewhat hesitant to continue seriously consider the school.
+1

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am

Emailed Admissions this:
"Good morning,
I was wondering if I am still being considered for financial aid in the form of merit-based scholarships at this point in the admissions cycle. If so, when should I expect an update? I am weighing my options as the deadlines to commit to school or job opportunities approach. "

Just got this back (really quickly btw):
"The scholarship review process has begun and multiple rounds of awards will continue through the spring. We regret that we are not able to provide an exact date when you will hear beyond this nor and amount, however. Rest assured we are working on it as we have many worthy candidates."

What do folks think as far as sending in a request via the matching aid email now/soon/like end of the week or or waiting until we hear back?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 pm

So here is what I was told by a student at Berkeley who asked for me this morning because I didn't want to bombard them with constant emails -

- Some Admitted Students have been reviewed and it's been decided to not give them offers.
- They are telling students to assume they won't receive aid in order for us to prepare for the worst.
- Some Admitted Students are being reviewed right now and offers should just keep flowing through the next few weeks.
- As people withdraw, it allows them to make additional offers that they might be holding off on.

I'm planning on clicking tentatively accepting a spot in there class on cal central and if I don't receive anything by June, then I'll withdraw.

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:So here is what I was told by a student at Berkeley who asked for me this morning because I didn't want to bombard them with constant emails -

- Some Admitted Students have been reviewed and it's been decided to not give them offers.
- They are telling students to assume they won't receive aid in order for us to prepare for the worst.
- Some Admitted Students are being reviewed right now and offers should just keep flowing through the next few weeks.
- As people withdraw, it allows them to make additional offers that they might be holding off on.

I'm planning on clicking tentatively accepting a spot in there class on cal central and if I don't receive anything by June, then I'll withdraw.
Good call. I am going to the admitted students reception tonight here in DC, anyone else going? Would love to meet up and stress out about this in person with people in similar situations haha.
I'm not sure if there will be admins there, but maybe it will come up in conversation? definitely am trying not to push it, and ride this out. I can always reapply next year with better numbers.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Litt1tUp wrote: - As people withdraw, it allows them to make additional offers that they might be holding off on.
Is this just for schollys or also offers of admission?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:So here is what I was told by a student at Berkeley who asked for me this morning because I didn't want to bombard them with constant emails -

Same - no reason not to just wait it out

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote: - As people withdraw, it allows them to make additional offers that they might be holding off on.
This is for scholarships, id assume after a certain amount of withdrawals, they'd make offers to the waitlist.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
This is for scholarships, id assume after a certain amount of withdrawals, they'd make offers to the waitlist.
And people who haven't heard back yet AKA me lol. Thanks!!

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 pm

chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
So (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if you haven't heard back regarding merit or need based aid, you're likely getting $0?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
So (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if you haven't heard back regarding merit or need based aid, you're likely getting $0?
No I haven't heard back regarding admission haha I'm still UR

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 pm

chandhi wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
chandhi wrote:
No I haven't heard back regarding admission haha I'm still UR
Oh, sorry-- didn't mean it in regards to you. I meant in general, if you've been admitted but haven't heard back regarding need/merit aid, does that mean that you're getting a generous offer of $0?

xtremenite

New

Post by xtremenite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Seems to be unconfirmed. Some people in this thread saying the FA office said no aid, others saying the process is still ongoing.

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

xtremenite wrote:
Seems to be unconfirmed. Some people in this thread saying the FA office said no aid, others saying the process is still ongoing.
I went to the admitted students reception last night, and they basically said that they are still considering people for aid if you haven't been emailed yet. I also noticed that a large majority of people there were in the same boat -- not having heard about merit yet. So don't totally give up!

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 pm

annazork wrote:
xtremenite wrote:
I went to the admitted students reception last night, and they basically said that they are still considering people for aid if you haven't been emailed yet. I also noticed that a large majority of people there were in the same boat -- not having heard about merit yet. So don't totally give up!
After reaching out a few times to Berkeley they finally sent me an unofficial award. They said official awards will be emailed on Friday (though I have no idea if that is all or some awards).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”