UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What does everyone want to do and where do they wanna do it?

Biglaw!! $$$
28%
Public Interest #Berkeley
20%
Government
10%
Other location (Not NE, midwest, south or Cali)
2%
California
17%
NYC
9%
DC
5%
Other North East
2%
Midwest
3%
South
3%

Total votes: 418

cyclawps

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley School of Law C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by cyclawps » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm

bigyellowjoint wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?
Same situation. Same question. Has anyone received an email saying that you don't qualify for need-based aid and then received notification of merit-based aid?
I got the email saying I don't qualify a few weeks ago, and have not heard about merit-based.
Same here. I assume that since the email specifically mentions merit aid being another source of financing law school that it was implied to be something still on the table
At ASW, IIRC they explained that basically at any given point, the merit aid may be exhausted, but as people decline $$ to go elsewhere, money is freed back up. I'm assuming that right now there is no money available for me, and I'm making plans based on that. But I think they're hesitant to say, "you receive 0" because they may be able to offer it later.

I also have no idea if any of that makes sense.
It makes sense. Do you think that's where they are now? It doesn't look like they've offered much in the way of $ yet.

emlaw03

New

Post by emlaw03 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 pm

cyclawps wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:Just got an email saying I do not qualify for a need-based Berkeley Law Grant. I thought we would be hearing about merit-based aid? Should I take this as a 0 for merit aid?
Same situation. Same question. Has anyone received an email saying that you don't qualify for need-based aid and then received notification of merit-based aid?
I got the email saying I don't qualify a few weeks ago, and have not heard about merit-based.
Same here. I assume that since the email specifically mentions merit aid being another source of financing law school that it was implied to be something still on the table
At ASW, IIRC they explained that basically at any given point, the merit aid may be exhausted, but as people decline $$ to go elsewhere, money is freed back up. I'm assuming that right now there is no money available for me, and I'm making plans based on that. But I think they're hesitant to say, "you receive 0" because they may be able to offer it later.

It makes sense. Do you think that's where they are now? It doesn't look like they've offered much in the way of $ yet.
I think if you haven't heard regarding merit aid yet, you should be getting an email either today or tomorrow. That's what another admit who called financial aid was told.

amaria

New

Post by amaria » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:35 pm

emlaw03 wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
bigyellowjoint wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
SmallK wrote:
cyclawps wrote:

I think if you haven't heard regarding merit aid yet, you should be getting an email either today or tomorrow. That's what another admit who called financial aid was told.
Anyone hear anything yet today?

heyya0909

New

Post by heyya0909 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 pm

bigyellowjoint wrote:
heyya0909 wrote:For those of you who received your financial aid email, do you guys mind sharing when you submitted your CSS etc.?
CSS 3/15, FAFSA submitted 3/1, but it may have actually been processed closer to 3/14. I was admitted 2/23.
Thanks for sharing. I guess they're not really going in order with the aids... I was admitted 2/23 but my css was processed 3/10. Just hope I hear back real soon!!!

emlaw03

New

Post by emlaw03 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Anyone hear anything yet today?[/quote]

Just received a call from Berkeley.. merit scholarships were sent out yesterday. If you haven't received an email, then at this time you are not being offered anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

emlaw03 wrote:Anyone hear anything yet today?
Just received a call from Berkeley.. merit scholarships were sent out yesterday. If you haven't received an email, then at this time you are not being offered anything.[/quote]

Good news for all you waitlisted students - looks like a bunch of seats will be opening up for you - mine included!

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:Anyone hear anything yet today?
Just received a call from Berkeley.. merit scholarships were sent out yesterday. If you haven't received an email, then at this time you are not being offered anything.

Good news for all you waitlisted students - looks like a bunch of seats will be opening up for you - mine included!
Or just wait for people with money to withdraw and see if any is freed up for you.
Last edited by Nacho_Verde on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 pm

If Berkeley seriously isn't offering any more merit scholarships, then I'm out :roll:

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 pm

emlaw03 wrote:
That... really sucks. I'm gonna call tomorrow to check for myself but if that's really true that's a huge bummer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
That... really sucks. I'm gonna call tomorrow to check for myself but if that's really true that's a huge bummer.
I don't understand why they can't send an email saying "at this time we cannot offer you any merit aid" instead of keeping us in the dark

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
I don't understand why they can't send an email saying "at this time we cannot offer you any merit aid" instead of keeping us in the dark
Because law school admissions is quite possibly the most tedious and uncertain process I have ever encountered. #ghostedbyschoolsfor6mos

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Keilz wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
Because law school admissions is quite possibly the most tedious and uncertain process I have ever encountered. #ghostedbyschoolsfor6mos
Well. That just plain stinks.

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm

cyclawps wrote:
Keilz wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
can someone call and confirm that they are done with merit aid for now? i already called late last week so i dont want to seem desperate -- even tho I am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 pm

annazork wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Keilz wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
can someone call and confirm that they are done with merit aid for now? i already called late last week so i dont want to seem desperate -- even tho I am
At ASW she said if you don't receive anything in 7-10 days (10 days was yesterday) then you can assume you're not being offered anything at this time.

I think they're open to negotiation though since that's what they did in the past

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm not going here so I'll free up some money for y'all once I work up the courage to withdraw lol

ImALawyer

New

Post by ImALawyer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 pm

So is anyone else above both 75ths and heard nothing back about merit aid? Hoping that they aren't really out of money...

I've received $120 from Duke and $110 from UCLA (as well as $157.5 from USC, but cost of attendance at UCLA is lower), so I'd be kinda surprised not to get anything from Berkeley. Would it be worth shooting them an email or giving them a call? I don't want to seem entitled at all, but we're starting to get uncomfortably close to when schools start requiring us to accept scholarships and/or put down deposits. Berkeley is my top choice right now, but I'm not sure it's full-tuition-worthy top choice.

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 pm

ImALawyer wrote:So is anyone else above both 75ths and heard nothing back about merit aid? Hoping that they aren't really out of money...

I've received $120 from Duke and $110 from UCLA (as well as $157.5 from USC, but cost of attendance at UCLA is lower), so I'd be kinda surprised not to get anything from Berkeley. Would it be worth shooting them an email or giving them a call? I don't want to seem entitled at all, but we're starting to get uncomfortably close to when schools start requiring us to accept scholarships and/or put down deposits. Berkeley is my top choice right now, but I'm not sure it's full-tuition-worthy top choice.
They have limited funds so they're probably focusing their money on people more likely to attend. They probably think you're going somewhere else. Shoot them an email and express your strong desire for Berkeley.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spursforever

New

Post by spursforever » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Last edited by spursforever on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 am

Nacho_Verde wrote:
ImALawyer wrote:So is anyone else above both 75ths and heard nothing back about merit aid? Hoping that they aren't really out of money...

They have limited funds so they're probably focusing their money on people more likely to attend. They probably think you're going somewhere else. Shoot them an email and express your strong desire for Berkeley.
Interesting perspective - wouldn't merit scholarships be aimed at people they think are less likely to attend - a la people they think have better options if they dont offer money?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 am

Berkeley has not updated their website since ending the matching scholarship program, and the information on how to apply for scholarship reconsideration seems outdated, with the email still being matching@law.berkeley.edu. Anyone have any insight on this front?

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 am

big_willy_style_333 wrote:Anyone heard back about the Hyundai-Kia scholly?
nothing postive or negative

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 am

gargleblaster wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:

Interesting perspective - wouldn't merit scholarships be aimed at people they think are less likely to attend - a la people they think have better options if they dont offer money?
I lean toward this interpretation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if CA residents get slightly lower offers since they're statistically more likely to enroll even with larger offers elsewhere.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:31 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
Nacho_Verde wrote:

I lean toward this interpretation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if CA residents get slightly lower offers since they're statistically more likely to enroll even with larger offers elsewhere.

Interesting thought. I live in the Bay Area (and am interested in PI) and I have vanderbilt at NYU, $110K at vandy, $110K UCLA, $157.5K USC and haven't heard from the others yet. Berkeley only offered $90K. Do you think they would just expect me to be more interested in berkeley already because of PI/Bay Area resident?

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:32 am

gargleblaster wrote: Interesting perspective - wouldn't merit scholarships be aimed at people they think are less likely to attend - a la people they think have better options if they dont offer money?
Did you write a why x? I'm going to withdraw soon and free up a good chunk of $$$.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 am

Keilz wrote:
annazork wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Keilz wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:
emlaw03 wrote:
At ASW she said if you don't receive anything in 7-10 days (10 days was yesterday) then you can assume you're not being offered anything at this time.

I think they're open to negotiation though since that's what they did in the past
I just contacted admissions and they said that I am still under consideration. No decision made either way. Just an FYI.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”