Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
44%
No :(
28%
I didn't apply for one
28%

Total votes: 32

shawn87654321

New

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by shawn87654321 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 am

A_Faus95 wrote:Has anyone heard anything more from need based scholarships?
I heard back late last week and got a $2k/year alumni scholarship. Submitted my form on 3/24.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 am

Asked for a little more of an increase and got a nice call from the dean telling me no; had to try!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 am

Dodocogon wrote:Asked for a little more of an increase and got a nice call from the dean telling me no; had to try!
Did you call asking for more or was this in response to an earlier email you sent?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am

tuesdayninja wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Asked for a little more of an increase and got a nice call from the dean telling me no; had to try!
Did you call asking for more or was this in response to an earlier email you sent?
Follow up email Monday (I think) to a response to reconsideration/alumni request a few weeks ago.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Anybody else plan to deposit by Monday but are still waiting on BC or other schools for admittance/scholarships? Would there be any potential issues with double depositing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ashleighjarm

New

Post by Ashleighjarm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Just withdrew- good luck to you guys on the waitlist and to those who have already deposited!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Ashleighjarm wrote:Just withdrew- good luck to you guys on the waitlist and to those who have already deposited!
Same, good luck all!

jg_

New

Post by jg_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Dinged just now. I'm crushed. BU was far & above my first choice, spent a lot of time on my Why BU essay. URM, Lsat=Median gpa below 25th. I was really hoping the URM might help get me at least waitlisted. anyway, does anybody know if it's standard for their rejection email to include an invite to apply as a transfer student?
Should you decide to begin at another law school this fall, you are welcome to apply to us as a transfer student next year. The Admissions Committee seeks transfer applicants who have performed with distinction during their first year of law school.

Thank you for your interest in Boston University. I wish you success in all of your academic and professional pursuits.
I'm guessing that's just boilerplate, right? I want to say I'm gonna go drink but I think I might just go lie down on my couch. this is hitting me way harder than I thought it would, even though I knew it was a long shot.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm

jg_ wrote:Dinged just now. I'm crushed. BU was far & above my first choice, spent a lot of time on my Why BU essay. URM, Lsat=Median gpa below 25th. I was really hoping the URM might help get me at least waitlisted. anyway, does anybody know if it's standard for their rejection email to include an invite to apply as a transfer student?
Should you decide to begin at another law school this fall, you are welcome to apply to us as a transfer student next year. The Admissions Committee seeks transfer applicants who have performed with distinction during their first year of law school.

Thank you for your interest in Boston University. I wish you success in all of your academic and professional pursuits.
I'm guessing that's just boilerplate, right? I want to say I'm gonna go drink but I think I might just go lie down on my couch. this is hitting me way harder than I thought it would, even though I knew it was a long shot.
This might not mean anything, but the only rejection that I had (not from BU) also included that. Sorry about the bad news :(.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

njdevils327

Bronze

Post by njdevils327 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:51 pm

jg_ wrote:Dinged just now. I'm crushed. BU was far & above my first choice, spent a lot of time on my Why BU essay. URM, Lsat=Median gpa below 25th. I was really hoping the URM might help get me at least waitlisted. anyway, does anybody know if it's standard for their rejection email to include an invite to apply as a transfer student?

Yeah that's pretty standard, but I think applying there as a transfer after your 1L might be your best bet. Go somewhere affordable and try to crush it and then you'll be able to go to the school you wanted to go to only having to pay 2 year prices. Not too bad. Crushing it in your 1L year is the biggest key though, no matter where you go.

jg_

New

Post by jg_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 pm

I have full rides to Cardozo and Brooklyn and others that are ranked lower. I' guess I'll attend and just do my best to build a strong transfer application. I'll write a thank you email to BU. Is it too much to also write/call to ask for tips on what I can do successfully trasnfer, or would the answer be too obvious (get excellent grades, be active in the community, etc)?

Thank you for the responses, and best of luck to anyone still waiting!

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Sorry about the ding... The rejection I had (from other school) had this invitation to apply as a transfer student. If you don't mind me asking, how did they contact you (email, snail mail, phone)?

jg_

New

Post by jg_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

intlbr wrote:

Sorry about the ding... The rejection I had (from other school) had this invitation to apply as a transfer student. If you don't mind me asking, how did they contact you (email, snail mail, phone)?
Thank you. It was email 1PM today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

jg_ wrote:
intlbr wrote:

Thanks. And when did you go "complete"? I'm still waiting to hear from them, but at this point, I'm almost certain it will also be a ding...

jg_

New

Post by jg_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm

intlbr wrote:
jg_ wrote:
intlbr wrote:

Thanks. And when did you go "complete"? I'm still waiting to hear from them, but at this point, I'm almost certain it will also be a ding...
February 15th. My GPA was pretty far below their median, so if you're closer I would be optimistic.

Not to hijack but BU's 2016 ABA disclosure shows they accepted 5 transfers from Suffolk. Five! Is that crazy high? I have a full scholarship there and was not even considering attending. For perspective, they accepted just 1 transfer student (3.59 Median GPA) from the following:

Alabama, Brooklyn, Chicago-Kent, George Mason, John Marshall, Michigan State, Montana, NYLS, San Diego, Tennessee, Washburn.

Suffolk was the only one they accepted more than one student from. I should move this to the Transfer forum, but is it silly to go to Suffolk bc of this?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Just got a small bump from BU (extra 5k/year) but their total offer is still far below what I got from GW and Emory. Is it worth emailing again to ask for more?

dclaw93

Bronze

Post by dclaw93 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:33 pm

floatie wrote:Just got a small bump from BU (extra 5k/year) but their total offer is still far below what I got from GW and Emory. Is it worth emailing again to ask for more?
Got the same bump and I'm gonna email and ask for more tonight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm

jg_ wrote: February 15th. My GPA was pretty far below their median, so if you're closer I would be optimistic.

Not to hijack but BU's 2016 ABA disclosure shows they accepted 5 transfers from Suffolk. Five! Is that crazy high? I have a full scholarship there and was not even considering attending. For perspective, they accepted just 1 transfer student (3.59 Median GPA) from the following:

Alabama, Brooklyn, Chicago-Kent, George Mason, John Marshall, Michigan State, Montana, NYLS, San Diego, Tennessee, Washburn.

Suffolk was the only one they accepted more than one student from. I should move this to the Transfer forum, but is it silly to go to Suffolk bc of this?
It makes sense - none of the other schools listed are in the area. It makes sense that more Suffolk students would apply to transfer to BU than students at those other schools so I think it in turn makes sense there would be more transfers from there.

I do think it is silly to go there because of the transfer rate. 5 people is not a lot of people compared to the whole class size. Also, being able to transfer requires being in the very top precentage of your class which is never a guarantee in any school. I'm really sorry about the ding!! I know that sucks. I know it's hard not to look for ways around it but you shouldn't make such a huge decision based on such a large uncertainty. If you go to LS this year, go somewhere you're happy with attending for 3 years. If you can transfer, great. If you can't, still great. If you think that none of the other schools are good options for you, then I hate to be that TLS'er but I would retake/reapply next year.

jg_

New

Post by jg_ » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jg_ wrote: February 15th. My GPA was pretty far below their median, so if you're closer I would be optimistic.

It makes sense - none of the other schools listed are in the area. It makes sense that more Suffolk students would apply to transfer to BU than students at those other schools so I think it in turn makes sense there would be more transfers from there.

I do think it is silly to go there because of the transfer rate. 5 people is not a lot of people compared to the whole class size. Also, being able to transfer requires being in the very top precentage of your class which is never a guarantee in any school. I'm really sorry about the ding!! I know that sucks. I know it's hard not to look for ways around it but you shouldn't make such a huge decision based on such a large uncertainty. If you go to LS this year, go somewhere you're happy with attending for 3 years. If you can transfer, great. If you can't, still great. If you think that none of the other schools are good options for you, then I hate to be that TLS'er but I would retake/reapply next year.
You aren't being that TLS'er, I needed sound advice, thank you. In my haze I didn't even realize that Suffolk was the only Boston school on the list. I'm going to drink tonight & then hunker down and make decisions. Thank you, and all, for the advice, hope to see some of you in the future.

PurplePaladin

New

Post by PurplePaladin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 pm

In on Monday via phone call. Does anyone know when I could expect to hear about merit aid? Sorry if this is elsewhere!

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 pm

PurplePaladin wrote:In on Monday via phone call. Does anyone know when I could expect to hear about merit aid? Sorry if this is elsewhere!
Will come in your admissions package and it usually takes about a week

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

WL Wave Coming?
Last edited by The_Gavel on Mon May 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intlbr

Bronze

Post by intlbr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:59 am

alexp wrote:Just Waitlisted
Hi, sorry about the WL... How did you find out? Email or status checker? And if you don't mind me asking ... when did you apply? Thanks

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:02 am

Waitlisted with a 170 LSAT lol. What a weird cycle for me

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 am

wow
Last edited by The_Gavel on Wed May 24, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”