Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you received your need based scholarship?

Yes!
44%
No :(
28%
I didn't apply for one
28%

Total votes: 32

waldorf

Gold

Re: Boston University C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by waldorf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:59 pm

mcssports1 wrote:Just got the acceptance call. Applied 11/14, complete on 11/16
That's when I applied. I'm so anxious to hear back from here, hope I get a call soon!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm

anyone get a fee waiver?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:35 pm

amta wrote:anyone get a fee waiver?
back in October

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 pm

fips tedora wrote:
back in October
oh dang. not for me. guess i won't be applying this time around.

amberb94

Bronze

Post by amberb94 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Anyone know what it means if my current status and status date are blank?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!!
I didn't...as far as I know, attempts to solicit one this cycle have failed

lawnerd87

New

Post by lawnerd87 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Last edited by lawnerd87 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BACsop

New

Post by BACsop » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am

ekg212 wrote:Boston local here as well (going on 3 years) - Because Allston/Brighton are close to BU/NEU, etc. they are very college-y areas such that unless you're cool with still being surrounded by UGs and fratty bars and parties, you will hate it. As a 26yo applicant, who does not live in that area for that reason, I have no plans to move there regardless of the "savings" in rent or time (and no, I don't make bank or have a trust fund or something). It's great for new restaurants, concert venues, and Raising Cane's but that's about it, IMO.

There are certainly other just-as-convenient options in the city. I would recommend looking at Southie or near BU med in south end, they have a shuttle that goes to the law school in like 10-20 mins. It's not walking to class every day, but it's worth the peace and quiet IMO. Plus rent is about the same. Personally, I live in Southie, and I have no plans to move. Cambridgeport is another good alternative, with a MTBA bus that goes there rather quickly, or you could walk the mile or so. A good thing to keep in mind is that Boston is smaller than you think it is. I was shocked when I moved from DC how much easier it is to get places, even by walking. People often tell stories of walking home after the T closes at night or in bad snow storms, because it's doable, whereas it would take me ~6 hours to walk home from work when I lived in the DMV.

It is true that you will need first, last, security, broker's fee, references, credit check, sometimes an app fee or a key deposit as well. Basically plan to have 4000-6000 on hand. There are some bigger buildings managed by Gables, Equity, etc. where your up front costs are less, but the rents are astronomical comparatively. The private market, despite the broker's fee, is still the best deal.

Best of luck!
Thanks for this info, COL will definitely be a change for me. I lived in Worcester for a year and a half; it's crazy how much lower COL is there despite it only being an hour train ride from Boston.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 pm

BACsop wrote:
ekg212 wrote:Boston local here as well (going on 3 years) - Because Allston/Brighton are close to BU/NEU, etc. they are very college-y areas such that unless you're cool with still being surrounded by UGs and fratty bars and parties, you will hate it. As a 26yo applicant, who does not live in that area for that reason, I have no plans to move there regardless of the "savings" in rent or time (and no, I don't make bank or have a trust fund or something). It's great for new restaurants, concert venues, and Raising Cane's but that's about it, IMO.

There are certainly other just-as-convenient options in the city. I would recommend looking at Southie or near BU med in south end, they have a shuttle that goes to the law school in like 10-20 mins. It's not walking to class every day, but it's worth the peace and quiet IMO. Plus rent is about the same. Personally, I live in Southie, and I have no plans to move. Cambridgeport is another good alternative, with a MTBA bus that goes there rather quickly, or you could walk the mile or so. A good thing to keep in mind is that Boston is smaller than you think it is. I was shocked when I moved from DC how much easier it is to get places, even by walking. People often tell stories of walking home after the T closes at night or in bad snow storms, because it's doable, whereas it would take me ~6 hours to walk home from work when I lived in the DMV.

It is true that you will need first, last, security, broker's fee, references, credit check, sometimes an app fee or a key deposit as well. Basically plan to have 4000-6000 on hand. There are some bigger buildings managed by Gables, Equity, etc. where your up front costs are less, but the rents are astronomical comparatively. The private market, despite the broker's fee, is still the best deal.

Best of luck!
Thanks for this info, COL will definitely be a change for me. I lived in Worcester for a year and a half; it's crazy how much lower COL is there despite it only being an hour train ride from Boston.
Heyyy. I lived in Worcester for a few years. You can't even compare rent prices but there are obvious reasons why Worcester is so much cheaper.

Also...I totally plan on commuting from metro west. I've done the math and it's still cheaper to pay for the gas, parking, and train ride than it would be to pay the rent to live in Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mackgal

Bronze

Post by Mackgal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Just got in via phone call, 75th percentile on both GPA and LSAT. Applied in mid November regular decision

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

I did! I just emailed admissions and they applied it to my account immediately! Took like two days.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:19 pm

intltradefuturelwyr wrote: I did! I just emailed admissions and they applied it to my account immediately! Took like two days.
lol

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Mackgal wrote:Just got in via phone call, 75th percentile on both GPA and LSAT. Applied in mid November regular decision
Congrats!! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Toured BC and BU yesterday and today respectively. VERY different campuses! BU is obviously more urban, but it is also barely distinct from the undergrad campus. Its maybe 1000 feet from the student union. Luckily it is also right in front of the T stop, so those wondering about public transit, rest assured.

Anyone else do their own tours/visits?

spookyg_g_ghost

New

Post by spookyg_g_ghost » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:Toured BC and BU yesterday and today respectively. VERY different campuses! BU is obviously more urban, but it is also barely distinct from the undergrad campus. Its maybe 1000 feet from the student union. Luckily it is also right in front of the T stop, so those wondering about public transit, rest assured.

I've yet to do my tours/visits. Still waiting to hear back from BU.

Any thoughts on BC, or further comparisons you would make between the two schools and their respective campuses?

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:19 pm

spookyg_g_ghost wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:Toured BC and BU yesterday and today respectively. VERY different campuses! BU is obviously more urban, but it is also barely distinct from the undergrad campus. Its maybe 1000 feet from the student union. Luckily it is also right in front of the T stop, so those wondering about public transit, rest assured.

Any thoughts on BC, or further comparisons you would make between the two schools and their respective campuses?
BC is much more seperated from the UG campus. BC is also in the burbs. There were a ton of nice houses, most of them were at least 3 bedrooms i would guess. I personally preferred the BC campus, but theyre pretty much apples and oranges. It is near, but not as close to the T at BU. Realistically, you could live in Newton, Brighton, Allston, Cambridge, Somerville, and still be close to both

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:43 am

BU LAw, forgot about me. I applied November 15th, completed Nov 17th. Talk to me BU LAW! :x

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 am

I also did my own tours of both campuses. Im interested in ASW for both so I can have a more guided tour but I think they were both p easily navigated on my own.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
spookyg_g_ghost wrote:

BC is much more seperated from the UG campus. BC is also in the burbs. There were a ton of nice houses, most of them were at least 3 bedrooms i would guess. I personally preferred the BC campus, but theyre pretty much apples and oranges. It is near, but not as close to the T at BU. Realistically, you could live in Newton, Brighton, Allston, Cambridge, Somerville, and still be close to both
Agreed...both campuses are so different you can't really compare them but they each have their own unique benefits.

I personally like the BU campus more but that's because I wanted to be more in the city. If you're looking for something more laid back, BC is probably going to be quieter. They do have a shuttle that runs between the law and the main campus so you can easily go there. For what it's worth, even though the BC campus is separated from the main UG campus, there are freshman dorms on the law school campus.

I liked the facilities/classrooms in BU better but only margainaly so. The BU law buildings were just redone so they're newer which is probably all it is. Both facilities were updated and nice. Just for comparison...I also looked at northeastern because hey offered me a free ride so why not check it out. they actually had my favorite campus by far BUT their facilities/classrooms gave away their low ranking and lower funding. Definitely older and run down from what I could tell. Mostly visiting there just made me wish I had gone there for UG.

BC campus was definitely prettier. Lots of grassy areas with trees that I couldn't totally see myself studying under in the warmer months. BU is fully urban and, other than the BU beach which is just one little strip of green, is just a long line of buildings and concrete (the law building is probably one of the ugliest from the outside, unfortunately). Better food options at BU too...on campus and off.

Also, very important...BU= hockey, BC= football.

Normally, I wouldn't advocate choosing a law school based on these little things but when the schools have such similar job prospects in Boston, I think it's a great opportunity to find the school that fits you best.

spookyg_g_ghost

New

Post by spookyg_g_ghost » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Really appreciate your responses guys, thank you.

mcssports1

New

Post by mcssports1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Any idea on when BU alerts you of any scholarship money? I Was accepted about a week ago but haven't been informed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:04 pm

mcssports1 wrote:Any idea on when BU alerts you of any scholarship money? I Was accepted about a week ago but haven't been informed.
I got a big package in the mail today with a letter saying Early February

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:44 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mcssports1 wrote:Any idea on when BU alerts you of any scholarship money? I Was accepted about a week ago but haven't been informed.
My letter says 'Late January' but I'm an ED rollover (looking at last year's thread it seems that those got info earlier) - I wonder if that language change is specific to applicants or if it's been delayed...

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
My letter says 'Late January' but I'm an ED rollover (looking at last year's thread it seems that those got info earlier) - I wonder if that language change is specific to applicants or if it's been delayed...
Also an ED deferred candidate who was told late January

bigv

New

Post by bigv » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 pm

I got a fee waiver in the mail today.

I've been complete for 2 weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”