Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If accepted, how likely are you to attend?

Are you kidding? It's my first choice. Consider my seat deposit sent.
15%
It's high on my list but it's not THE school I'm waiting to hear back from.
27%
It's high on my list, but I can probably be swayed by more money from another school.
25%
Meh... I applied because it's a T14 - we'll see how my cycle goes.
20%
Really just plan on using it for scholarship negotiation purposes.
8%
Still feel really unsure. I'll probably visit or go to ASW to get a better feel for the school/location.
6%

Total votes: 305

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: Michigan c/o 2020 applicants (2016-17)

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:Can you stack merit scholarships with need based? Or do you have to choose which one to take? I know at Georgetown you have to pick between the two but I'm not sure if every school does that.
In my merit scholarship email they said receiving it made me ineligible for any need based aid. I don't know if this is true for all scholarship amounts.

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:Can you stack merit scholarships with need based? Or do you have to choose which one to take? I know at Georgetown you have to pick between the two but I'm not sure if every school does that.
In my merit scholarship email they said receiving it made me ineligible for any need based aid. I don't know if this is true for all scholarship amounts.
Mine specifically states
"Dean’s Scholarships are awarded without regard to financial need. You may, in addition, qualify for need-based financial aid"

So I'm a little confused what that actually means! I didn't get much from the merit award so maybe I can combine them?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Mine specifically states
"Dean’s Scholarships are awarded without regard to financial need. You may, in addition, qualify for need-based financial aid"

So I'm a little confused what that actually means! I didn't get much from the merit award so maybe I can combine them?
The admitted students website has a financial need app. I got $0 in need based aid

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:26 pm

My (>100k) scholarship email says:
"Although Dean’s Scholarships are awarded without regard to financial need, because your award covers such a considerable portion of tuition, you are ineligible for additional, need-based grants from the Law School. You will, however, likely be interested in applying for loans."
Sounds like there's some threshold below which a merit scholarship could be combined with need-based grants.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:My (>100k) scholarship email says:
"Although Dean’s Scholarships are awarded without regard to financial need, because your award covers such a considerable portion of tuition, you are ineligible for additional, need-based grants from the Law School. You will, however, likely be interested in applying for loans."
Sounds like there's some threshold below which a merit scholarship could be combined with need-based grants.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Motionsinlemons

New

Post by Motionsinlemons » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:34 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:My (>100k) scholarship email says:
Oooh I see, Okay so it looks like I can in fact combine the two!
For those who are wondering I was given 15k a year 45k total
Thanks y'all

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

imtca wrote:
sadie2law wrote:My status checker says it was updated today but still no decision. I just sent basically a Why Mich email to admissions. Please admit me. Let me love you.
The Michigan status checker updates automatically every day, regardless of whether there's movement.
Strangely enough, mine has been stuck at 3/11 for a couple days. Not sure if it means anything.

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 pm

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

Waitlists are all over the place, but there's like a solid wall of rejects at 167.

No rejects with a 169 LSAT... hopefully I'm not the first.

trqdor

New

Post by trqdor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:22 pm

uhh anyone know how likely it is that someone will back out from going to preview 1 next weekend...? there are no hotels available at all around the area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 pm

trqdor wrote:uhh anyone know how likely it is that someone will back out from going to preview 1 next weekend...? there are no hotels available at all around the area.
Did you try Air BnB?

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Has anyone sent an LOCI/Why Michigan in before hearing a decision and after going complete and had success? I'm considering sending one in as I didn't know that that was a thing before applying and am seriously regretting it.

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:12 pm

ChervonaKatya wrote:
trqdor wrote:uhh anyone know how likely it is that someone will back out from going to preview 1 next weekend...? there are no hotels available at all around the area.
Did you try Air BnB?
Also -- and I know this isn't ideal -- Detroit is really not very far away. You could get a hotel there and a rental car and do all right. Not sure where you would park though.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 pm

jza1994 wrote:Has anyone sent an LOCI/Why Michigan in before hearing a decision and after going complete and had success? I'm considering sending one in as I didn't know that that was a thing before applying and am seriously regretting it.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 am

I'm just waiting for Michigan to crush my hopes. I wish they'd do it sooner rather than later.

I've been complete for a while, do they really take 6 weeks?

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:12 am

Bunbury wrote:
jza1994 wrote:Has anyone sent an LOCI/Why Michigan in before hearing a decision and after going complete and had success? I'm considering sending one in as I didn't know that that was a thing before applying and am seriously regretting it.
+1
You both should do this. I got my decision in December after sending a Why Michigan, which I hadn't included in my original submission. They were super positive about it, and said they'd be sure it was included in my file.

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 am

Just received an email rejecting my negotiation effort :cry: Presented an offer from UVA that was $15000 more, but they declined to match because it wasn't substantially more (like 30000 they said). Though I have a feeling they would have declined to match even if the disparity were more significant.

I understand where they're coming from, but they made it sound completely reasonable to spend an amount of money equivalent to a car (their comparison not mine) to attend a school that is a "better fit." Perhaps I'm too debt averse, but 15000 is still a lot of money to me (especially since I'm doing PI). Oh well :cry:

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 am

Finickywalrus wrote:Just received an email rejecting my negotiation effort :cry: Presented an offer from UVA that was $15000 more, but they declined to match because it wasn't substantially more (like 30000 they said). Though I have a feeling they would have declined to match even if the disparity were more significant.

I understand where they're coming from, but they made it sound completely reasonable to spend an amount of money equivalent to a car (their comparison not mine) to attend a school that is a "better fit." Perhaps I'm too debt averse, but 15000 is still a lot of money to me (especially since I'm doing PI). Oh well :cry:
Do you mean 15k total or 15k/year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 am

twochipmunks wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:Just received an email rejecting my negotiation effort :cry: Presented an offer from UVA that was $15000 more, but they declined to match because it wasn't substantially more (like 30000 they said). Though I have a feeling they would have declined to match even if the disparity were more significant.

15k total. I think there's an argument to be made for it being a bit more owing to Michigan's cost of living, but it's not super strong. I know it seems like a trivial amount, but like they said, it's equivalent to a car, and that's a big deal.

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

15k total. I think there's an argument to be made for it being a bit more owing to Michigan's cost of living, but it's not super strong. I know it seems like a trivial amount, but like they said, it's equivalent to a car, and that's a big deal.
Totally understand the debt aversion - I am the same way. But according to lsn, tuition is lower at Michigan and the cost of living is lower. So I'm not surprised that they didn't respond to 5k/year. :/ Knowing that 10k/year is what they consider substantial is good to know though!
Last edited by twochipmunks on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

It's only trivial in my mind if you plan on never paying it back due to PI, which is a gamble, or if you're making $180,000/yr for the rest of your life, which is a gamble.. $15,000 is $15,000. I'm not saying it's not worth it to you-- It might be!-- but I do kind of object to people saying "Ohhhh, it's only like 5 months' salary for the average worker in the US, that's trivial when you could be a big shot lawyer in NYC in just 3 years!" Even if it's worth the extra money-- It might be! Not my point!-- that doesn't make the extra money "trivial."

Seems like cheap tactics, imho, to argue otherwise.

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:12 pm

twochipmunks wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

Totally understand the debt aversion - I am the same way. But according to lsn, tuition is lower at Michigan and the cost of living is lower. So I'm not surprised that they didn't respond to 5k/year. :/ Knowing that 10k/year is what they consider substantial is good to know though!
Tuition is higher at UVA, but anecdotally (and via cost of living calculators) I've seen that Michigan's rent is higher. Could be wrong though. And yeah I get why they denied it, but I'm still bitter haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

Tuition is higher at UVA, but anecdotally (and via cost of living calculators) I've seen that Michigan's rent is higher. Could be wrong though. And yeah I get why they denied it, but I'm still bitter haha
I would be too. It was worth a shot. Solidarity, my friend.

Finickywalrus

New

Post by Finickywalrus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:18 pm

twochipmunks wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:
Finickywalrus wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:

I would be too. It was worth a shot. Solidarity, my friend.
Thanks, hope you have better luck when the time comes!

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 pm

dmc1275 wrote:
Bunbury wrote:
+1
You both should do this. I got my decision in December after sending a Why Michigan, which I hadn't included in my original submission. They were super positive about it, and said they'd be sure it was included in my file.
Thanks dmc! I was worried it would seem annoying but will go for it based on your positive experience :)

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 pm

speedofthought wrote:
ChervonaKatya wrote:
Did you try Air BnB?
Also -- and I know this isn't ideal -- Detroit is really not very far away. You could get a hotel there and a rental car and do all right. Not sure where you would park though.
There are 1000 hotels between Ann Arbor and Detroit if it comes to that. Don't stay in Detroit - hotels will be way more expensive and much farther away than necessary. If you have to, stay near the airport and uber to campus (but I doubt you'll have to stay that far away).

I would recommend contacting admissions and see if they have any recs though.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”