Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
18%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 207

hellohalo

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by hellohalo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
btruj777 wrote:I have been asking myself this question lately but I do not know where else to ask it.

Assuming someone was crazy enough to pay sticker (with loans and what not - no parent help) at Chicago and Columbia. Is the cost of living in NY so high that it almost forces the person to pick Chicago? For example, when I look at housing in Chicago it seems possible for a law student, when I look at housing for Columbia, it seems less possible. While both would be paid by loans, it seems like NY simply demands a higher burden on the students.

Do New York law schools take this into account at all? Perhaps lowering tuition to mitigate the extra expense of just living in NY? Perhaps having partnerships with off-campus buildings where rent is significantly cheaper?

I could be missing something big here, but it seems like living in NY during law school is a massive deterrent for someone who gets accepted to CLS or NYU.

Another question/possible answer, do so well on the LSAT that you get scholly money to pay for these NY schools? But even then, if you can land such a big scholarship that this does not become a problem, would you also not be able to go to another school in the country that still seems like a cheaper/better option because of the "NY COL factor"?
I've looked into it a little. I don't see how COL would be less than $40k difference b.t NU and NYU for me personally. It's a scary difference.
Yes it is terrifying!

Have NY law schools not tired to address this in some fashion (not that they HAVE to, they are entitled to their own business practice and I respect that)?

Note: I do think these schools are worth the money, and honestly I think it is okay to say "I should do better on the LSAT, if this is my dream school".
I mean. I know that NYU at least has student housing (can't remember if Columbia does). However, I don't remember if the housing is just for 1Ls. There's not really much they can do. NYU has really expansive student housing for undergrad but it's pretty sprawled out. I'm talking like, even in Soho. They bought out old apartment buildings and turned them into dorms. There's not really any room in Washington Square for them to build, so if they were going to get more student housing, they'd have to buy out places like they did for undergrad.
COlumbia offers student housing.

During my interview, I somehow expressed my concern with the cost. And my interviewer was pretty defensive, saying Columbia offers affordable student housing maintained by the university. And that would be an interdisciplinary living environment (because it's housing for all graduate students).

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 pm

mm2368 wrote:@btruj777, It's completely possible in my opinion (at least for NYU) if you live in Jersey City. You can commute via the PATH train from Hoboken or Jersey City - about a 10 minute ride - and arrive within walking distance of campus (5-10 min walk, I'd say). There's also a ferry and the usual busses. If you went to Columbia I'd still advise living in JC or Hoboken because it's far more fun; you'd still have to subway from downtown to CLS which is not a short commute. And forget riding the bus in the mornings, lol. To make things easier you could live in Fort Lee just before the GW bridge. Even the most expensive apartment there is cheaper than 1Br in nyc.
Commuting to NYU from Hoboken queens Brooklyn are all acceptable. Hoboken to Columbia will just kill me. But I don't wanna live in Bronx or Harlem or GWBridge... am I spoiled?!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Current NYC resident here. Lots of people commute to the city from NJ. I personally wouldn't want to but it's certainly possible and affordable (though it's not always as cheap as it may seem because you have to factor in additional transit costs if you're paying for both a monthly PATH ticket and a monthly metrocard).

One of the pros of Columbia vs. NYU, IMO, is the fact that if you don't plan to live in university housing, housing in the vicinity of Columbia is more affordable than anything within an equivalent distance of NYU.
hellohalo wrote:Commuting to NYU from Hoboken queens Brooklyn are all acceptable. Hoboken to Columbia will just kill me. But I don't wanna live in Bronx or Harlem or GWBridge... am I spoiled?!
Lol why not? Those are your best bets if you want (relatively) inexpensive housing close to Columbia. If I end up at CLS I'll probably live in Harlem or Hamilton Heights... cheaper than the law school housing. NYU's law school housing is probably a better deal than Columbia's, considering rent in lower Manhattan/commute times from the other boroughs. It's still def cheaper to commute though.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I will be attending CLS this year and will be commuting from NJ. It's all just a matter of deciding if you want to go. Once i did NJ was acceptable.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Interview request just now. The time slots offered are super inconvenient (I'm abroad and my mom is flying in to visit me that week :roll: ) but oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChelseaZ

New

Post by ChelseaZ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Interview request just now. The time slots offered are super inconvenient (I'm abroad and my mom is flying in to visit me that week :roll: ) but oh well.
Just got the interview request too. I'm not feeling too well about this because I had the understanding that CLS interviews are mostly for splitters. Is that true?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:39 pm

ChelseaZ wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Interview request just now. The time slots offered are super inconvenient (I'm abroad and my mom is flying in to visit me that week :roll: ) but oh well.
Just got the interview request too. I'm not feeling too well about this because I had the understanding that CLS interviews are mostly for splitters. Is that true?
No.

Ppl in this thread have already talked about the fact that they think CLS is just moving towards interviewing more applicants. As far as I can tell, it doesn't mean you're in a bad place and it doesn't suggest you're about to be accepted either.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't be know if this is normally the case, but it definitely isn't the case for me (I'm above both 75ths). I don't really know how to interpret it.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm

brinicolec wrote:
ChelseaZ wrote:
No.

Ppl in this thread have already talked about the fact that they think CLS is just moving towards interviewing more applicants. As far as I can tell, it doesn't mean you're in a bad place and it doesn't suggest you're about to be accepted either.
That's good to hear I suppose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:I don't be know if this is normally the case, but it definitely isn't the case for me (I'm above both 75ths). I don't really know how to interpret it.
Yours could be a form of YP.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:42 pm

brinicolec wrote:
ChelseaZ wrote:
No.

We'll know better about this when the RD decisions come out

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:I don't be know if this is normally the case, but it definitely isn't the case for me (I'm above both 75ths). I don't really know how to interpret it.

I was in the first round, also above both 75ths. I don't think it was YP. There's a tendency to think of CLS as strictly numbers driven. However, if Dean Iwerebon is as ambitious as their LSAT increase suggests, there may be more to their strategy than previously suspected.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm

brinicolec wrote:
*sigh* Does this mean I should try my best to show them I'm really interested?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:49 pm

FWIW
during my interview, I was asked about career plan
when I said "start with law firm/patent office to gain more practical experience", my interviewer was taking notes

I mean they seem to consider employment potential or whatever when they admit ppl

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

hellohalo wrote:FWIW
during my interview, I was asked about career plan
when I said "start with law firm/patent office to gain more practical experience", my interviewer was taking notes

I mean they seem to consider employment potential or whatever when they admit ppl
Fair. I feel like this is at least a general goal of all school's interviews.

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Could also be they are considering you for a scholarship, no?

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Another data point: I have neither splitter stats for Columbia nor am I above both 75ths. My resume reads like a stereotypical aspiring law student (all legal jobs), no C&F issues, not international. Basically nothing that would raise any questions or concerns. Was asked to interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 pm

lsa16 wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Could also be they are considering you for a scholarship, no?
Not sure, although it's certainly a nice thought :) I'm not knowledgeable enough to make guesses and I'm trying my damndest not to be a neurotic law school applicant or try to read my tea leaves over things like this

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Im also above both 75ths and got interviewed. Not really a clear pattern emerging re: who gets and doesn't get interviews

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:31 pm

A person on LSN who submitted the same time as me and same sex/race with the exact same numbers (169, 3.7X) got interviewed and I didn't. Only difference was her major was a STEM field. We even have same amount of paragal experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Any admit get an update as to when ASW is?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Keilz wrote:A person on LSN who submitted the same time as me and same sex/race with the exact same numbers (169, 3.7X) got interviewed and I didn't. Only difference was her major was a STEM field. We even have same amount of paragal experience.
I'd say something about her application must have required explanation or they simply thought they could know her more adequately with an interview component attached to her application. Your writing/LORs etc. might have done that for them. No worries, stay positive.

Whittie

Bronze

Post by Whittie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Interview offer today. Above both 75ths. Submitted thanksgiving.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 pm

So the what to expect when you're expecting isn't super clear to me about Columbia... are we expecting emails or snail mail for acceptances?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”