Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
18%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 207

VapidP

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by VapidP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:17 pm

mm2368 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote: That makes sense. I know you can get in without an interview, I just sort of wish I had one anyway to see where I am in the process.
if anything, you're perfect proof of it. many qualified people will not be interviewed. I think that if an adcom's mind is made up about you, they've got no reason to interview. you could be a sure thing on paper, i.e. you sold yourself well enough where they don't need you to speak about it, too.
TBH, now I'm super paranoid that they had something they were unsure of in my application, and I bombed the interview. Admissions season is not good with someone with anxiety.

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 pm

VapidP wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote: That makes sense. I know you can get in without an interview, I just sort of wish I had one anyway to see where I am in the process.
if anything, you're perfect proof of it. many qualified people will not be interviewed. I think that if an adcom's mind is made up about you, they've got no reason to interview. you could be a sure thing on paper, i.e. you sold yourself well enough where they don't need you to speak about it, too.
TBH, now I'm super paranoid that they had something they were unsure of in my application, and I bombed the interview. Admissions season is not good with someone with anxiety.
^ all the feels right now :?

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Seriously. I'm not one for anxiety usually, but I couldn't tell you how many times I've thought through my answers in the interview. I've gone back and forth thinking I did fine and thinking I completely missed the target.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm

VapidP wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
don't do that to yourself, friend. it's all done now and I'm sure you did okay. I have an anxiety disorder myself, so
[+] Spoiler
I don't know how to take my own advice lmao
that said, you're a killer applicant as far as stats go, and while there are candidates who got interviews b/c adcoms were unsure about something, I'm confident many others got them, as I said, simply so that an adcom could verify that u aren't a psychopath or a weirdo who can't speak since "the accident". you're good! stay positive

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm

interview went great. very friendly conversational
the most typical and standard admission interview
why law, why columbia, why NYC, my research, my legal interest, my career plan, contribution to columbia

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm

For those interviewed, did you write a Why Columbia? My "Why Columbia" essay includes my career plan, and what I would use at Columbia to accomplish this career plan.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Keilz wrote:For those interviewed, did you write a Why Columbia? My "Why Columbia" essay includes my career plan, and what I would use at Columbia to accomplish this career plan.
I didn't

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Keilz wrote:For those interviewed, did you write a Why Columbia? My "Why Columbia" essay includes my career plan, and what I would use at Columbia to accomplish this career plan.
I did, sort of. I wrapped some reasons for Columbia into my PS in the paragraph about why law and my career plans. My interviewer referred to it specifically, so I think it helped pull my app together.

illini2016

New

Post by illini2016 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm aware that interviewing isn't necessary for admission... but, as befits TLS, I'm worrying nevertheless. Should I be at all concerned that I submitted 10/27 and haven't heard anything since?

For reference, I'm URM, above median GPA, at median LSAT, my Chicago interview request came mid-December and my JS1 last week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I didn't.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 pm

illini2016 wrote:I'm aware that interviewing isn't necessary for admission... but, as befits TLS, I'm worrying nevertheless. Should I be at all concerned that I submitted 10/27 and haven't heard anything since?

For reference, I'm URM, above median GPA, at median LSAT, my Chicago interview request came mid-December and my JS1 last week.
you essentially answered your own question, but I'm happy to reiterate.
DON'T WORRY FRIEND! you're iconic don't worry until you absolutely have to, especially given the Chic/Harv interviews. You're in great shape

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 pm

illini2016 wrote:I'm aware that interviewing isn't necessary for admission... but, as befits TLS, I'm worrying nevertheless. Should I be at all concerned that I submitted 10/27 and haven't heard anything since?

You have strong numbers, even if you weren't URM. But with the fact that you are, I wouldn't worry. You may be one of many who don't need an interview to get admitted.

supermann

New

Post by supermann » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 pm

How many pages are there in you guys' personal statement? I did 2 pages with double line spacing. I never received an interview invite. Decision has been mailed recently but I haven't got it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:09 pm

supermann wrote:How many pages are there in you guys' personal statement? I did 2 pages with double line spacing. I never received an interview invite. Decision has been mailed recently but I haven't got it.
How do you know it was mailed recently?
Mine is 2 pages as well.

supermann

New

Post by supermann » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 pm

mm2368 wrote:
supermann wrote:How many pages are there in you guys' personal statement? I did 2 pages with double line spacing. I never received an interview invite. Decision has been mailed recently but I haven't got it.
Mine is 2 pages as well.
I asked and their response is lukewarm. Feel like this is a young man/lady's game. Good luck y'all.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 pm

supermann wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
Mine is 2 pages as well.
I asked and their response is lukewarm. Feel like this is a young man/lady's game. Good luck y'all.
are you rd? Also, do you mean that they've already started mailing decisions for RD candidates?

supermann

New

Post by supermann » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 pm

curry1 wrote:
supermann wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
Mine is 2 pages as well.
are you rd? Also, do you mean that they've already started mailing decisions for RD candidates?
ED. It is probably a one-way unrequited love affair.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm

theothercat wrote:Welp, made my first huge mistake of the cycle. Missed the part in the interview instructions that specifies Eastern Time... Annnd I feel like a massive idiot. They're letting me reschedule, but as a borderline applicant, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a pretty solid negative. :?
Holy shiiiiit, totally was going to make this mistake in a couple days. All my other interviews have been in Central and I didn't even think about it. Thank you, friend.

Seems like Columbia interviews can be a little more intense, from what I've read here. Any advice that hasn't been said (or has)?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Sarastro wrote:
theothercat wrote:Welp, made my first huge mistake of the cycle. Missed the part in the interview instructions that specifies Eastern Time... Annnd I feel like a massive idiot. They're letting me reschedule, but as a borderline applicant, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a pretty solid negative. :?
Holy shiiiiit, totally was going to make this mistake in a couple days. All my other interviews have been in Central and I didn't even think about it. Thank you, friend.

Seems like Columbia interviews can be a little more intense, from what I've read here. Any advice that hasn't been said (or has)?
That's an unfortunate mistake, but one that many have made. Do not sweat it! For whatever reason, this school wants to talk to you more in a personal interview. So move on and give it your all!

In regard to Columbia interviews being intense, this wasn't my experience at all, and my interview was probably the nicest out of all this cycle. I know others had tougher times, but I do not think thats the norm. I'd recommend going in with an open mind and attitude, and come in expecting the best. Smile, be positive, and really try to have a conversation. If you do that, all should go well.

mcdermontsam

New

Post by mcdermontsam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
Sarastro wrote:

That's an unfortunate mistake, but one that many have made. Do not sweat it! For whatever reason, this school wants to talk to you more in a personal interview. So move on and give it your all!

In regard to Columbia interviews being intense, this wasn't my experience at all, and my interview was probably the nicest out of all this cycle. I know others had tougher times, but I do not think thats the norm. I'd recommend going in with an open mind and attitude, and come in expecting the best. Smile, be positive, and really try to have a conversation. If you do that, all should go well.
Yeah, same here. TBH the Columbia interview was such a pleasant experience, like I left the interview feeling really good- not about how the interview went, but more about just having a really nice conversation with somebody.

Apparently YMMV, though, looking at what some other people have said but I wouldn't sweat it.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:07 pm

yeah my columbia interview was chill too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

mcdermontsam wrote: Yeah, same here. TBH the Columbia interview was such a pleasant experience, like I left the interview feeling really good- not about how the interview went, but more about just having a really nice conversation with somebody.
+1

I left my interview loving the school way more than before the interview just because it was so nice. I also really felt like the interviewer wanted to get to know me and gave me a ton of opportunities to sell myself (she wanted me to look good) and I really appreciated that.

Nickel94

Bronze

Post by Nickel94 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 am

R. Jeeves wrote:yeah my columbia interview was chill too
Literally exactly how I've described mine to people who ask...

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:31 am

yeah my columbia interview was warm and encouraging. biggest ego boost i have had since the time my mom said i wasn't a total disaster.

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

I wouldn't call mine warm, but it was definitely congenial

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”