Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
18%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 207

sigree

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by sigree » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 am

Do you think Columbia still giving out interviews at this point. I submitted late November and they have contacted me for additional info about transcripts. Should I assume that I've been passed over?

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

addie1412 wrote:I wouldn't call mine warm, but it was definitely congenial
+1

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 pm

I really love the FAQ re: interviews page on the website; anything you can think of, they've already got a reply for.

personal fave: "I am a Columbia undergraduate, live in the tri-state area, or will be visiting the city. Why can’t I interview in person?"

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 pm

mm2368 wrote:I really love the FAQ re: interviews page on the website; anything you can think of, they've already got a reply for.

personal fave: "I am a Columbia undergraduate, live in the tri-state area, or will be visiting the city. Why can’t I interview in person?"
And what's the reply?!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:23 pm

8 Days until decisions came out last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:29 pm

hellohalo wrote:
mm2368 wrote:I really love the FAQ re: interviews page on the website; anything you can think of, they've already got a reply for.

And what's the reply?!
put simply "because we said so" lol.

but if you read the FAQ fully it's kind of comforting; they really emphasize that not having an interview is by no means an indicator of bad news.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:8 Days until decisions came out last year.
For RD?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Last year RD was 1/20 first acceptances.
Before last year it was 1/21.
The year before that, 1/27.

fingercrossed

New

Post by fingercrossed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Anyone know when we might start hearing about RD Hamilton's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

mm2368 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:

And what's the reply?!
put simply "because we said so" lol.

but if you read the FAQ fully it's kind of comforting; they really emphasize that not having an interview is by no means an indicator of bad news.
Well I suppose that makes me feel better.
Odds are I'll get a ding/WL from here if I'm being honest with myself.
But then again, those new LSAT scores make everything seem a little less certain lol

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Last year RD was 1/20 first acceptances.
Before last year it was 1/21.
The year before that, 1/27.
Jeez let's hope, I could use some good news on 1/20 this year

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:36 pm

I have been asking myself this question lately but I do not know where else to ask it.

Assuming someone was crazy enough to pay sticker (with loans and what not - no parent help) at Chicago and Columbia. Is the cost of living in NY so high that it almost forces the person to pick Chicago? For example, when I look at housing in Chicago it seems possible for a law student, when I look at housing for Columbia, it seems less possible. While both would be paid by loans, it seems like NY simply demands a higher burden on the students.

Do New York law schools take this into account at all? Perhaps lowering tuition to mitigate the extra expense of just living in NY? Perhaps having partnerships with off-campus buildings where rent is significantly cheaper?

I could be missing something big here, but it seems like living in NY during law school is a massive deterrent for someone who gets accepted to CLS or NYU.

Another question/possible answer, do so well on the LSAT that you get scholly money to pay for these NY schools? But even then, if you can land such a big scholarship that this does not become a problem, would you also not be able to go to another school in the country that still seems like a cheaper/better option because of the "NY COL factor"?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 pm

btruj777 wrote:I have been asking myself this question lately but I do not know where else to ask it.

Assuming someone was crazy enough to pay sticker (with loans and what not - no parent help) at Chicago and Columbia. Is the cost of living in NY so high that it almost forces the person to pick Chicago? For example, when I look at housing in Chicago it seems possible for a law student, when I look at housing for Columbia, it seems less possible. While both would be paid by loans, it seems like NY simply demands a higher burden on the students.

Do New York law schools take this into account at all? Perhaps lowering tuition to mitigate the extra expense of just living in NY? Perhaps having partnerships with off-campus buildings where rent is significantly cheaper?

I could be missing something big here, but it seems like living in NY during law school is a massive deterrent for someone who gets accepted to CLS or NYU.

Another question/possible answer, do so well on the LSAT that you get scholly money to pay for these NY schools? But even then, if you can land such a big scholarship that this does not become a problem, would you also not be able to go to another school in the country that still seems like a cheaper/better option because of the "NY COL factor"?
Last edited by curry1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:42 pm

btruj777 wrote:I have been asking myself this question lately but I do not know where else to ask it.

I've looked into it a little. I don't see how COL would be less than $40k difference b.t NU and NYU for me personally. It's a scary difference.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:42 pm

fingercrossed wrote:Anyone know when we might start hearing about RD Hamilton's?
Are there any other Hamiltons? I somehow doubt that they would give them to ED folks.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:43 pm

brinicolec wrote: Well I suppose that makes me feel better.
Odds are I'll get a ding/WL from here if I'm being honest with myself.
But then again, those new LSAT scores make everything seem a little less certain lol
I genuinely believe them. I think it's dangerously unethical for them to publish misleading or false information (obviously), and beyond that, they have no reason to lie. If they wanted to, they could tell us that they're pulling a Harvard and admitting exclusively from a pool of interviewed applicants.

it's not surprising to see so many TLS kids getting interviews. I think however that the majority of the admitted applicant pool will not have interviewed. Perhaps that's an exaggeration on my part - a hopeful one at that. But everything I've read and heard from the deans there makes me think I'm right.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm

guybourdin wrote:

I've looked into it a little. I don't see how COL would be less than $40k difference b.t NU and NYU for me personally. It's a scary difference.
Yes it is terrifying!

Have NY law schools not tired to address this in some fashion (not that they HAVE to, they are entitled to their own business practice and I respect that)?

Note: I do think these schools are worth the money, and honestly I think it is okay to say "I should do better on the LSAT, if this is my dream school".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm

btruj777 wrote:
[+] Spoiler
I have been asking myself this question lately but I do not know where else to ask it.

To my knowledge, no schools take such information into account. and this is based solely on my personal anecdote and doesn't answer your questions directly, but if I had had the numbers for a school like CLS or even NYU, I'd most certainly choose either over Chicago and live in New Jersey. The commute is so simple and the cost drastically lower. Then again, I've been doing it for several years now and am accustomed to it; I could see others complaining about having to cross a river daily.

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

mm2368 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

To my knowledge, no schools take such information into account. and this is based solely on my personal anecdote and doesn't answer your questions directly, but if I had had the numbers for a school like CLS or even NYU, I'd most certainly choose either over Chicago and live in New Jersey. The commute is so simple and the cost drastically lower. Then again, I've been doing it for several years now and am accustomed to it; I could see others complaining about having to cross a river daily.

Holy crap, I have not even considered this. How far would you say that commute is? I am very unfamiliar with NY and how close/far things are away from it, I new NJ was very very close, but is it possible to commute it with no car, day in and day out?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

guybourdin wrote:

Why the $40k difference?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:52 pm

btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yes it is terrifying!

Have NY law schools not tired to address this in some fashion (not that they HAVE to, they are entitled to their own business practice and I respect that)?

Note: I do think these schools are worth the money, and honestly I think it is okay to say "I should do better on the LSAT, if this is my dream school".
Columbia has housing. Not sure how difficult it is to get, but it sounded somewhat subsidized. It's NYC, though - you pay to live there but you gain access to SO much. It's worth it for a lot of people. You have options if it's not worth it for you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Also earlier in this thread someone mentioned that they would take NYU or CLS over UCHI in a heartbeat, does this seem to be the general thinking?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm

@btruj777, It's completely possible in my opinion (at least for NYU) if you live in Jersey City. You can commute via the PATH train from Hoboken or Jersey City - about a 10 minute ride - and arrive within walking distance of campus (5-10 min walk, I'd say). There's also a ferry and the usual busses. If you went to Columbia I'd still advise living in JC or Hoboken because it's far more fun; you'd still have to subway from downtown to CLS which is not a short commute. And forget riding the bus in the mornings, lol. To make things easier you could live in Fort Lee just before the GW bridge. Even the most expensive apartment there is cheaper than 1Br in nyc.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm

btruj777 wrote:Also earlier in this thread someone mentioned that they would take NYU or CLS over UCHI in a heartbeat, does this seem to be the general thinking?
I would choose NYU/Columbia over Chicago in a heartbeat, but I've just personally never been fond of U Chicago. I hear similar things from lots of people

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:05 pm

btruj777 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yes it is terrifying!

I mean. I know that NYU at least has student housing (can't remember if Columbia does). However, I don't remember if the housing is just for 1Ls. There's not really much they can do. NYU has really expansive student housing for undergrad but it's pretty sprawled out. I'm talking like, even in Soho. They bought out old apartment buildings and turned them into dorms. There's not really any room in Washington Square for them to build, so if they were going to get more student housing, they'd have to buy out places like they did for undergrad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”