Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

It's decision szn... How are you holding up?

I'm freaking out
6%
I'm freaking out!
3%
I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!
8%
I. AM. FREAK-ING. OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
28%
Why did anyone ever give us status checkers? I can't stop looking at the stupid things!
18%
Eh.. I'm doing okay actually...
37%

Total votes: 207

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Columbia c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Ok this may be a dumb question. In Columbia's instructions page it states "Please note further that we do not utilize LSAC's recommendation form and require letters from recommendation providers."

Does this mean you need to have your recommenders send Columbia their letters in some way? Or will letters uploaded to LSAC work like they do for most schools? Sorry if I'm reading too much into this.

Hm, I haven't completed this yet so I haven't seen that. Can anyone who's gone complete shed light on this?

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:
navylawhopeful wrote:Ok this may be a dumb question. In Columbia's instructions page it states "Please note further that we do not utilize LSAC's recommendation form and require letters from recommendation providers."

Does this mean you need to have your recommenders send Columbia their letters in some way? Or will letters uploaded to LSAC work like they do for most schools? Sorry if I'm reading too much into this.

Hm, I haven't completed this yet so I haven't seen that. Can anyone who's gone complete shed light on this?
That wording is really odd, so I just went back to read the instructions again. Under a section titled "Submission of Letters of Recommendation," it says: "Columbia Law School strongly prefers that letters of recommendation be sent through the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service."

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:47 am

KatCoco wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

That wording is really odd, so I just went back to read the instructions again. Under a section titled "Submission of Letters of Recommendation," it says: "Columbia Law School strongly prefers that letters of recommendation be sent through the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service."
Are you sure it's not referring to the "Evaluation form" which is something else and is stupid.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:48 am

Also, because it bears repeating now that the app is open:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO ONE ED COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL

Happy applying :mrgreen:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 pm

benwyatt wrote:
KatCoco wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Are you sure it's not referring to the "Evaluation form" which is something else and is stupid.
LSAC rid of the eval form so it's definitely not that. Hm...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 pm

TexasENG wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
KatCoco wrote:
brinicolec wrote:[quote="navylawhopeful

LSAC rid of the eval form so it's definitely not that. Hm...
Ugh, for a T6 school you'd think they would have made this clearer. These 2 statements are fairly confusing.
Please note further that we do not utilize LSAC's recommendation form and require letters from recommendation providers.
and
Columbia Law School strongly prefers that letters of recommendation be sent through the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service
My guess is that when you do the LSAC letter of recommendation thing as a recommender they have a form that people can fill out for their recommendations, or they can upload a letter directly. Columbia apparently does not like the LSAC provided form?[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. I assigned my uploaded letters to Columbia the same as the other schools, so I'm guessing it should be fine... Haven't submitted yet though, waiting on a fee waiver that will probably never come lol.

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 pm

TexasENG wrote:
My guess is that when you do the LSAC letter of recommendation thing as a recommender they have a form that people can fill out for their recommendations, or they can upload a letter directly. Columbia apparently does not like the LSAC provided form?
This is exactly what I was thinking. I assigned my uploaded letters to Columbia the same as the other schools, so I'm guessing it should be fine... Haven't submitted yet though, waiting on a fee waiver that will probably never come lol.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey, guys, my application has the "Complete" status on My Columbia Law and all my recommendations are checked off as received. The application has been sent for review. I did it as with any school, assigning the LOR's through LSAC, so I'm pretty sure it's just vague wording.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Thoughts on writing a "why Columbia" essay? My reasons aren't particularly unique (class size, clinic opportunities, New York location, and mission statement), but the school is definitely a reach for me with my current LSAT score and GPA.

confusia

New

Post by confusia » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:06 pm

benwyatt wrote:Also, because it bears repeating now that the app is open:

I'm out of the loop, why do you say to not ED Columbia?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 pm

confusia wrote:

no scholarship so it costs too much

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Checking in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Checking in!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:33 pm

proteinshake wrote:
confusia wrote:

Pretty much this. ED for law school pretty much only makes sense if you have a couple hundred thousand lying around.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Last edited by tskela on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 pm

benwyatt wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
confusia wrote:

Pretty much this. ED for law school pretty much only makes sense if you have a couple hundred thousand lying around.
Or if it'd help your chances of admission, which isn't for many.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:21 am

brinicolec wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
confusia wrote:

No.
Not worth the cost.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:46 am

benwyatt wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
confusia wrote:

No.
Not worth the cost.
this.

also what's your opinion on ED if your parents are covering COL expenses? basically I'd only be debt financing tuition (and even then, I think my parents will be helping out).

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:50 pm

proteinshake wrote: also what's your opinion on ED if your parents are covering COL expenses? basically I'd only be debt financing tuition (and even then, I think my parents will be helping out).
I'd still say no. It's not going to give you enough of a boost to justify taking on $180K+ (before interest).

Tuition is far and above the greater expense.

lmcghee

New

Post by lmcghee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am

I noticed that in the application instructions Columbia strongly encourages people who took the LSAT more than once to write an addendum. I was not originally planning on writing one since I have read you should only do so if there was a greater than 5 difference or special circumstances. My difference was 4 points so I am not sure what I want to say if anything. Anyone else in the same boat or have advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:12 am

lmcghee wrote:I noticed that in the application instructions Columbia strongly encourages people who took the LSAT more than once to write an addendum. I was not originally planning on writing one since I have read you should only do so if there was a greater than 5 difference or special circumstances. My difference was 4 points so I am not sure what I want to say if anything. Anyone else in the same boat or have advice?
They say they want it, so write it. It can be one sentence.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:15 am

pretzeltime wrote:
lmcghee wrote:I noticed that in the application instructions Columbia strongly encourages people who took the LSAT more than once to write an addendum. I was not originally planning on writing one since I have read you should only do so if there was a greater than 5 difference or special circumstances. My difference was 4 points so I am not sure what I want to say if anything. Anyone else in the same boat or have advice?
They say they want it, so write it. It can be one sentence.
+1

I'd just say something like "I took it again because I felt I could get a higher score and WOOT WOOT I GOT A HIGHER SCORE LET ME IN I WORKED HARD FOR THIS"

Well, obviously the latter part was a little much but yeah... Something along the lines of believing you could improve your score.

mdu

New

Post by mdu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26 pm

The scholly I am most likely to get is need based over merit. Does ED notoriously shoot this down as well?

Related question: Does anyone know at what age (if at all) they will stop looking at parental income in computing need based scholly?

Thanks! Best of luck to all...

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Received a generic e-mail from Columbia today titled "Thank You for Submitting an Application for Admission". Applied over a month ago, anyone else get this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”