Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
7%
Waitlisted
41%
Accepted
52%
Rejected
No votes

Total votes: 29

bearedman8

Bronze

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by bearedman8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 pm

In via email about 20 minutes ago.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 pm

sphyrnidae13 wrote:Does anyone have advice on what questions to prepare for the scholarship interview? Thanks
It's pretty easy, they'll ask why law, why Duke, will discuss something on your resume;

I met with the outreach person and I got a question about volunteering that I do, and then the "big" one is:

"Is there anything that you would like to highlight (about you financial situation) that you felt was not reflected in your aid application materials"

I would think of something good to have here, wether it be how high Duke is on your list, something about you that may make you a better applicant, or something about your financial situation. I didn't really have anything to add, my financial situation is straight forward and my parents are helping me out, but I steered the conversation back to why Duke and my interviewer seemed to respond well.

It's just the only question that could by any stretch be considered "tough" and it seems to always get asked so I'd have something for that

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 pm

bearedman8 wrote:In via email about 20 minutes ago.
Congrats!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I didn't screw myself my not mentioning how high Duke is on my list did I?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 pm

proteinshake wrote:I didn't screw myself my not mentioning how high Duke is on my list did I?
I don't know if you're making fun of me...

Honestly I doubt the interview matters like any. I just like to feel like I'm helping so I search for some piece of advice to give people and that question was the only one people seemed to struggle with at all

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
proteinshake wrote:I didn't screw myself my not mentioning how high Duke is on my list did I?

Honestly I doubt the interview matters like any. I just like to feel like I'm helping so I search for some piece of advice to give people and that question was the only one people seemed to struggle with at all
I wasn't making fun of you haha, I legit got upset at myself for forgetting to mention it.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

I actually think my interview helped me out a lot. I can't imagine I would've gotten such a generous $$$ offer had my interview not gone as well as it did. But then again, it could be more of a case of it didn't hurt but also didn't help much. Who knows

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Stephylynette wrote:

I actually think my interview helped me out a lot. I can't imagine I would've gotten such a generous $$$ offer had my interview not gone as well as it did. But then again, it could be more of a case of it didn't hurt but also didn't help much. Who knows
I should probably adjust it to say that I'm sure people can give great interviews, especially if they didn't provide much info in applying (IE no why Duke). I doubt that an interview could really hurt you (save for doing something absurd).

Based on the tiering of scholarship it seems there are general ranges based on scores and everything else probably accounts for like 10k. An interview that was great and stuck in someone's mind could help quite a bit, but a forgettable one probably can't knock some way below the starting point.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Stephylynette wrote:

I should probably adjust it to say that I'm sure people can give great interviews, especially if they didn't provide much info in applying (IE no why Duke). I doubt that an interview could really hurt you (save for doing something absurd).

Based on the tiering of scholarship it seems there are general ranges based on scores and everything else probably accounts for like 10k. An interview that was great and stuck in someone's mind could help quite a bit, but a forgettable one probably can't knock some way below the starting point.
FWIW someone with the exact same stats and experience as me on LSN got about 2/3 of what I got. I think the interview matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Keilz wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:

FWIW someone with the exact same stats and experience as me on LSN got about 2/3 of what I got. I think the interview matters.
BUT, it could have been that they got the same merit aid but less need-based aid right?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:

BUT, it could have been that they got the same merit aid but less need-based aid right?
The letter doesn't really specify the need based so much it gives you your scholarship as merit based

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm

proteinshake wrote:

I wasn't making fun of you haha, I legit got upset at myself for forgetting to mention it.
I can't believe I forgot to mention that too and now I'm just (impatiently) waiting for my scholly letter which was mailed 2/14 :cry:

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:46 am

Forgot to say Mordechai Scholar!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Where do we stay if we come for the ASW? Couldn't find on site.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Received my scholarship offer letter today. Definitely feel like I got lowballed. Really want to be in Durham next year but I have a better offer from a higher ranked school :/

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm

chargers21 wrote:Received my scholarship offer letter today. Definitely feel like I got lowballed. Really want to be in Durham next year but I have a better offer from a higher ranked school :/
mind PMing me?

dianersg

New

Post by dianersg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:29 pm

chargers21 wrote:Received my scholarship offer letter today. Definitely feel like I got lowballed. Really want to be in Durham next year but I have a better offer from a higher ranked school :/
+1 definitely disappointed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 pm

taxman14 wrote:Where do we stay if we come for the ASW? Couldn't find on site.
someone on the fb group said that they emailed Duke and they said that there's an option to stay with current students. not sure if they're going to send an email later about that. I'm sure most people just get hotels. I'll be staying at a friend's :D I'll actually just copy and past the fb post below:

In past years current students have housed visiting admits. If there isn't something in the registration materials for you to indicate that you'd like to stay with a student, let me know and I'll check on that.

and someone wrote a reply saying they emailed someone in admissions and was offered housing and transportation (I'm assuming with a current student)

BabyDoc2JD

New

Post by BabyDoc2JD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:49 pm

dianersg wrote:
+1 definitely disappointed
+1 same and thought my interview went well. So that better ranked school will see my face if I don't get in to yet a better school then them

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 am

For those whose scholly mails got sent out on 2/14, did you receive them yet? I live in Cali and did not receive it today, and now I have to wait until Tuesday the earliest bc of the damn holiday :x

i just wanna know how much i'm worth : (

bleakchimera2

New

Post by bleakchimera2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Christinabruin wrote:For those whose scholly mails got sent out on 2/14, did you receive them yet? I live in Cali and did not receive it today, and now I have to wait until Tuesday the earliest bc of the damn holiday :x

I did, I received mine yesterday (I live in the Bay Area).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Christinabruin wrote:For those whose scholly mails got sent out on 2/14, did you receive them yet? I live in Cali and did not receive it today, and now I have to wait until Tuesday the earliest bc of the damn holiday :x

Friend also received his on Friday, lives in So Cal.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 am

bleakchimera2 wrote:

I did, I received mine yesterday (I live in the Bay Area).
crookedsmile wrote:Friend also received his on Friday, lives in So Cal.
Thank you guys for letting me know! I looked around the vicinity of my mailbox and found nothing so I guess mine's still on its way :(

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Just got a Duke law weekly, does that mean offices are open?

xinaii

New

Post by xinaii » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm

went UR2 since last Thursday but haven't hear anything back....
is that a bad sign? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm so nervous....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”