Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
7%
Waitlisted
41%
Accepted
52%
Rejected
No votes

Total votes: 29

A_Faus95

New

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by A_Faus95 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 am

UR2 on 3/20....does anyone know what the timeline could be like for an actual answer?

musiclover123

New

Post by musiclover123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:17 pm

A_Faus95 wrote:UR2 on 3/20....does anyone know what the timeline could be like for an actual answer?

I heard back about a week after going UR2

good luck!

Daaltaraan

New

Post by Daaltaraan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Got the scholarship notification in my status checker today!!! How many days does it normally take for it to arrive in the mail?

A_Faus95

New

Post by A_Faus95 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 pm

musiclover123 wrote:
A_Faus95 wrote:UR2 on 3/20....does anyone know what the timeline could be like for an actual answer?

good luck!

Thanks! Good Luck to you too! If you don't mind me asking, were you PT?

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Daaltaraan wrote:Got the scholarship notification in my status checker today!!! How many days does it normally take for it to arrive in the mail?
Also got the notification (interviewed 3/1). I'm going to assume 3 days because that's how long it took for my welcome package to arrive (I live in CA for reference)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Sadnessandmisfortune wrote:
Daaltaraan wrote:Got the scholarship notification in my status checker today!!! How many days does it normally take for it to arrive in the mail?
Also got the notification (interviewed 3/1). I'm going to assume 3 days because that's how long it took for my welcome package to arrive (I live in CA for reference)
Mine took a week FWIW (live in MA)

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Anyone get scholarship info for people who interviewed 3/3?

musiclover123

New

Post by musiclover123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:32 pm

A_Faus95 wrote:
musiclover123 wrote:

good luck!

Thanks! Good Luck to you too! If you don't mind me asking, were you PT?
I was not! About 6-7 weeks from UR1 to UR2; In about 5 business days after UR2

plusultra

New

Post by plusultra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:44 am

So my scholarship interview is tomorrow... Is there anything I should know or be aware of before heading in? Would you folks mind sharing some insights, if any?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am

plusultra wrote:So my scholarship interview is tomorrow... Is there anything I should know or be aware of before heading in? Would you folks mind sharing some insights, if any?
Just relax and have a conversation, they're really nice. The interview is really just to gauge your interest in the school, ask about any financial need info that isn't apparent to the school, and for you to ask questions about anything you want to know about Duke. Now that you're in, they're trying to sell the school to you just as much as you tried to sell yourself to the school when you applied, so show that you deserve money and really want to go to Duke (if that's the case) but also ask questions and let them woo you. Have fun!

plusultra

New

Post by plusultra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:55 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:
plusultra wrote:So my scholarship interview is tomorrow... Is there anything I should know or be aware of before heading in? Would you folks mind sharing some insights, if any?
Just relax and have a conversation, they're really nice. The interview is really just to gauge your interest in the school, ask about any financial need info that isn't apparent to the school, and for you to ask questions about anything you want to know about Duke. Now that you're in, they're trying to sell the school to you just as much as you tried to sell yourself to the school when you applied, so show that you deserve money and really want to go to Duke (if that's the case) but also ask questions and let them woo you. Have fun!
Thank you! Went well, I think.

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 pm

If it says my scholarship letter has been sent, does that mean I got some money or is there a chance I got nothing?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:If it says my scholarship letter has been sent, does that mean I got some money or is there a chance I got nothing?
there's a chance you got nothing but it's unlikely

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:28 am

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

zeglo wrote:Just got back from ASD. I was impressed overall. Can't compare to other places though.
+1 I thought it was awesome as well, but I've only visited the law school at my alma mater so not too much to go off of. The people seem great, whether they be the professors, administrators, current students, or other prospective students. Great environment and surrounding area

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:07 am

chargers21 wrote:
zeglo wrote:Just got back from ASD. I was impressed overall. Can't compare to other places though.
+1 I thought it was awesome as well, but I've only visited the law school at my alma mater so not too much to go off of. The people seem great, whether they be the professors, administrators, current students, or other prospective students. Great environment and surrounding area
+2 likely the only ASD I will attend but I don't think other T13 ASDs will be too different. also, Dean Levi seems great/hilarious.

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:27 pm

proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
+2 likely the only ASD I will attend but I don't think other T13 ASDs will be too different. also, Dean Levi seems great/hilarious.
+3 I got the sense that students were a little younger and less stressed out about school as a whole in comparison to other T13s, I still have a couple other visits to go though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 pm

People won't get pulled from the waitlist till after seat deposits come in, correct?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 pm

somedeadman wrote:People won't get pulled from the waitlist till after seat deposits come in, correct?
I know at least one person has gotten in off the WL, but they were likely on it due to YP rather than low numbers.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

proteinshake wrote:
somedeadman wrote:People won't get pulled from the waitlist till after seat deposits come in, correct?
I know at least one person has gotten in off the WL, but they were likely on it due to YP rather than low numbers.
Thank ye

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
+3 I got the sense that students were a little younger and less stressed out about school as a whole in comparison to other T13s, I still have a couple other visits to go though
I agree. I had a great time. The quality of the people, closely followed by the low cost of living, definitely stood out as the highlights for me. I was even taken aback at just how friendly and generous the current students were. Deans Hoye and Levi were great too, as well as the few faculty members I got to speak with at length. And they proved me wrong in thinking Durham would just be a sleepy town, considering I got shuffled through three parties Friday night. (I am still worried, though, that it'll be a culture shock coming from NYC, but having a laidback atmosphere to focus on studying would be nice). Also, the facilities/library were hands-down beautiful, modern, and inviting. And it was unanimous that having a car is pretty much a necessity.

Honestly, the only qualms I had were very specific to me -- I'm not sure if Duke has strengths in the academic areas I'm especially interested in. Their career services staff didn't really persuade me otherwise except for a few talking points that felt like a stretch. And I'm a little wary about leaving NYC behind after years of developing a close support network (socially and professionally). It's a hard decision, considering Columbia has been my #1 choice for years and I was fortunate to get in. I'm visiting CLS for their ASP this week, and I feel like the stakes are much higher... (Everyone at Duke told me that everyone is miserable at CLS, which now terrifies me a bit...)

Hope this is helpful for anyone unable to make it for Duke's ASW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with Duke?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:54 pm

LawTweet wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarship money with Duke?
I will begin negotiations with them this week, but in person Dean Hoye made it sound like there is wiggle room

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 am

Dr_OIT wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
I agree. I had a great time. The quality of the people, closely followed by the low cost of living, definitely stood out as the highlights for me. I was even taken aback at just how friendly and generous the current students were. Deans Hoye and Levi were great too, as well as the few faculty members I got to speak with at length. And they proved me wrong in thinking Durham would just be a sleepy town, considering I got shuffled through three parties Friday night. (I am still worried, though, that it'll be a culture shock coming from NYC, but having a laidback atmosphere to focus on studying would be nice). Also, the facilities/library were hands-down beautiful, modern, and inviting. And it was unanimous that having a car is pretty much a necessity.

Honestly, the only qualms I had were very specific to me -- I'm not sure if Duke has strengths in the academic areas I'm especially interested in. Their career services staff didn't really persuade me otherwise except for a few talking points that felt like a stretch. And I'm a little wary about leaving NYC behind after years of developing a close support network (socially and professionally). It's a hard decision, considering Columbia has been my #1 choice for years and I was fortunate to get in. I'm visiting CLS for their ASP this week, and I feel like the stakes are much higher... (Everyone at Duke told me that everyone is miserable at CLS, which now terrifies me a bit...)

Heard similar comments made about Chicago being miserable from many

Sadnessandmisfortune

New

Post by Sadnessandmisfortune » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 am

dasq5511 wrote:
Dr_OIT wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Heard similar comments made about Chicago being miserable from many
You need to see it for yourself; bf goes to CLS and he loves it, along with his friends

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”