Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Waiting
7%
Waitlisted
41%
Accepted
52%
Rejected
No votes

Total votes: 29

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: Duke Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

daydreamerxoxo wrote:Is there a downside to using a lower ranked school's scholarship offer to negotiate? Not overly optimistic about it making a difference, but I thought I'd give it a try...
Only in so far as Opportunity Costs go. Generally I think you should fire 1-2 negotiations per school so if you think you have a better offer down the pipe I'd wait.

Otherwise no, might as well just use it and see if they'll give you something

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 am

am I the only one who thinks Duke should use some better photos on their facebook profile pic / cover photo and twitter avi? currently TTT quality.

just me oh okay

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 am

proteinshake wrote:am I the only one who thinks Duke should use some better photos on their facebook profile pic / cover photo and twitter avi? currently TTT quality.

just me oh okay
lol there's definitely room for improvement. They're not flexing enough for my taste

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:11 am

It almost looks like their cover is an architectural mock-up

Also they couldn't get that blurry bike rider out?

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Keilz wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(
I feel like you really should visit to make an informed decision. most people on TLS give a really inaccurate picture of Durham (if that's what you're worried about). Is it behind Mich and UVA for you?
It's behind Michigan and Cornell. My cousin is going to be at Duke next year and I went to school in VA so I'm not concerned, but M/C offered more money and Cornell has strong NYC placement, which I want.

I looked at last year's numbers and Cornell wasn't as high in general as I thought.
Fwiw, if you want to be in NYC --> Duke places there every bit as well as Cornell does/if not better. It just happens that most students at Cornell want to end up in NYC, so people think they have abnormally "strong" NYC placement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

ithrowds wrote:
Keilz wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:Damn those numbers are so tempting. Right now Duke is my third choice. I don't know if I have time to visit :( :(
I feel like you really should visit to make an informed decision. most people on TLS give a really inaccurate picture of Durham (if that's what you're worried about). Is it behind Mich and UVA for you?
It's behind Michigan and Cornell. My cousin is going to be at Duke next year and I went to school in VA so I'm not concerned, but M/C offered more money and Cornell has strong NYC placement, which I want.

I looked at last year's numbers and Cornell wasn't as high in general as I thought.
Fwiw, if you want to be in NYC --> Duke places there every bit as well as Cornell does/if not better. It just happens that most students at Cornell want to end up in NYC, so people think they have abnormally "strong" NYC placement.
I also got into Mich and Duke and I'm most likely going to Cornell because they gave me the most $$ and I want big law in NYC, and don't care about clerking, etc.

But I talked to some family friends in NYC firms, and they basically echoed that it doesn't matter among the T13 - HYS. Some firms have preferences (V10, Watchel - Columbia), but I would just choose where you'd be happiest/have the most scholarship if you're debt averse.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Does anybody remember getting a list of employers who attended OCI at ASW? I could've sworn I got one but now I can't find it. If I'm not crazy and you do find it and wouldn't mind sharing it with me hit me up with a PM!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Stephylynette wrote:Does anybody remember getting a list of employers who attended OCI at ASW? I could've sworn I got one but now I can't find it. If I'm not crazy and you do find it and wouldn't mind sharing it with me hit me up with a PM!
I'll take a pic and send it to your FB

are you talking about the paper showing where people got employed?

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:Does anybody remember getting a list of employers who attended OCI at ASW? I could've sworn I got one but now I can't find it. If I'm not crazy and you do find it and wouldn't mind sharing it with me hit me up with a PM!

No I found that but I swear there was also a list of all employers who attended OCI last year. I could be mixing it up with something I saw on TLS though, knowing my memory. :roll: thank you though!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

No I found that but I swear there was also a list of all employers who attended OCI last year. I could be mixing it up with something I saw on TLS though, knowing my memory. :roll: thank you though!!
check the OP, there's a list there. I think that's what you're referring to.

edit: OP of the class of 2020 page*

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

check the OP, there's a list there. I think that's what you're referring to.

edit: OP of the class of 2020 page*
Ah yes. That's it. Thanks!

naztywoman

New

Post by naztywoman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:03 am

fyi y'all - just had my deferral accepted so a new spot and some $$ is open! see everyone in 2018 8)

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Anyone still waiting? Last update (UR2/3) was 3/17 - ghosted since.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The_Gavel

New

Post by The_Gavel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:50 pm

JustWannaGraduate wrote:Anyone still waiting? Last update (UR2/3) was 3/17 - ghosted since.
Yeah, had a date change 8 days ago I think. I was under the impression that the turnaround after a change was typically quick but obviously I was wrong haha.

JustWannaGraduate

New

Post by JustWannaGraduate » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm

alexp wrote:
JustWannaGraduate wrote:Anyone still waiting? Last update (UR2/3) was 3/17 - ghosted since.
Yeah, had a date change 8 days ago I think. I was under the impression that the turnaround after a change was typically quick but obviously I was wrong haha.
Me too. Guess not though

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Officially withdrew and threw some $$ back in - good luck to those still waiting!!

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:50 pm

For those of you who tried to negotiate scholarships, did you email the financial aid office or the admissions office? And did you include other offers in the initial email or just email saying you were hoping for scholarship reconsideration? Thanks! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm

lilikoillama wrote:For those of you who tried to negotiate scholarships, did you email the financial aid office or the admissions office? And did you include other offers in the initial email or just email saying you were hoping for scholarship reconsideration? Thanks! :D
financial aid office (use the one on their website not the scholly letter, it's different)

included in initial email

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

proteinshake wrote: financial aid office (use the one on their website not the scholly letter, it's different)
wait, there's really a difference between the "financial_aid" email address and the "financialaid" address? i had assumed they went to the same place.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Blue664 wrote:
proteinshake wrote: financial aid office (use the one on their website not the scholly letter, it's different)
wait, there's really a difference between the "financial_aid" email address and the "financialaid" address? i had assumed they went to the same place.
oh they might, but I know for sure the one on the site works

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:52 pm

proteinshake wrote:
lilikoillama wrote:For those of you who tried to negotiate scholarships, did you email the financial aid office or the admissions office? And did you include other offers in the initial email or just email saying you were hoping for scholarship reconsideration? Thanks! :D
financial aid office (use the one on their website not the scholly letter, it's different)

Did you get some sort of auto email in response? Talking about some BS of their financial limitations

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

chargers21 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Did you get some sort of auto email in response? Talking about some BS of their financial limitations
yep!

lilikoillama

New

Post by lilikoillama » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm

proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

yep!

Thank youuuuu. Did they get back to you pretty quickly even after the auto response email?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 pm

lilikoillama wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

yep!

Thank youuuuu. Did they get back to you pretty quickly even after the auto response email?
I haven't heard back yet but I sent it very recently (<4 days)

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm

proteinshake wrote:

Literally came to this thread to ask this same exact question. Thanks proteinshake, you've got my vote for MVP!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”