*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. *** Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LHS17

Bronze

Re: UVA c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by LHS17 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:Real talk... Is UVA worth sticker price? It's my number one but I wasn't given any merit aid and I'm almost 100% certain they won't negotiate with the offers I do have (all t20)... :roll:
If you're 22 with no work experience, sure.
lolwut. What basis/authority are you saying this on?

The reality here is that a 22 yr old with no real world experience has absolutely no idea what 280k in debt is. I say that realizing that over 50% of matriculants attend at sticker, so tons of people bite that bullet, but my assessment is that a number of people in that group have significant help from wealthy families.

So, OP, it really depends on what other circumstances there are - are you self-supporting? undergrad debt? LSAT score/GPA and how many times did you take?
You should be able to discern from my tone that I'm anti paying sticker. That was the intent.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:36 pm

LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:Real talk... Is UVA worth sticker price? It's my number one but I wasn't given any merit aid and I'm almost 100% certain they won't negotiate with the offers I do have (all t20)... :roll:

The reality here is that a 22 yr old with no real world experience has absolutely no idea what 280k in debt is. I say that realizing that over 50% of matriculants attend at sticker, so tons of people bite that bullet, but my assessment is that a number of people in that group have significant help from wealthy families.

So, OP, it really depends on what other circumstances there are - are you self-supporting? undergrad debt? LSAT score/GPA and how many times did you take?
You should be able to discern from my tone that I'm anti paying sticker. That was the intent.
I think you missed the mark then. No indication from your post (there is no 'tone' present) that you were being sarcastic.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:

I think you missed the mark then. No indication from your post (there is no 'tone' present) that you were being sarcastic.
Eh, I read sarcasm (or at least a pretty blasé tone that shouldn't be construed as real advice) that being said I'm sure it's not unreasonable to not get that tone so maybe still a dangerous comment to someone toying with over 1/4 mil in debt

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:

Eh, I read sarcasm (or at least a pretty blasé tone that shouldn't be construed as real advice) that being said I'm sure it's not unreasonable to not get that tone so maybe still a dangerous comment to someone toying with over 1/4 mil in debt
After a further read back, I can see the nonchalant-ness possibly indicating a jest, but given how dumb most fresh out of undergrad 22yr olds are, I think that's somewhat reckless to 'offer' that fake advice

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I think bagel made a point that there was a wave of students at UVA a few years ago that thought UVA at sticker wasn't a bad idea. Obviously things have changed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:

After a further read back, I can see the nonchalant-ness possibly indicating a jest, but given how dumb most fresh out of undergrad 22yr olds are, I think that's somewhat reckless to 'offer' that fake advice
"Real talk" was solicited so I didn't feel the need to manicure my statement.

If they got into UVA they should be capable of clarifying our viewpoints, to the extent they see any merit in them.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:06 pm

So, who all is gonna be at ASW?

magdalena92

New

Post by magdalena92 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 am

LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
LHS17 wrote: If you're 22 with no work experience, sure.

"Real talk" was solicited so I didn't feel the need to manicure my statement.

If they got into UVA they should be capable of clarifying our viewpoints, to the extent they see any merit in them.
I suppose my question should have been phrased: Is the return on your investment really that high, or is there some other reason 50% of students pay sticker?

While I would love to attend UVA, I don't think I can stomach that sort of debt. I was asking more out of curiosity. For the record, I will be 25 come June. Almost 3 years work experience postgrad - 2 of them international. I worked throughout college to pay for it and I'm lucky enough to have no undergraduate debt. I will not being receiving financial assistance from my parents either. As for my numbers, my LSAT made UVA a definite reach for me... so receiving no merit aid was of no surprise!

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

I suppose my question should have been phrased: Is the return on your investment really that high, or is there some other reason 50% of students pay sticker?

While I would love to attend UVA, I don't think I can stomach that sort of debt. I was asking more out of curiosity. For the record, I will be 25 come June. Almost 3 years work experience postgrad - 2 of them international. I worked throughout college to pay for it and I'm lucky enough to have no undergraduate debt. I will not being receiving financial assistance from my parents either. As for my numbers, my LSAT made UVA a definite reach for me... so receiving no merit aid was of no surprise![/quote]

I think it's hard to justify a maximum upfront outlay when the first-year salary has a ceiling in private practice. Are any of your top 20 options near where you would like to practice (or does any have true national reach if you're undecided)? How much of a discount is on offer?

It sounds like you have some things going for you and if you've been sponsored for a work visa abroad I'd think your resume doesn't necessarily need the best school that accepts you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 am

LHS17 wrote:I suppose my question should have been phrased: Is the return on your investment really that high, or is there some other reason 50% of students pay sticker?

While I would love to attend UVA, I don't think I can stomach that sort of debt. I was asking more out of curiosity. For the record, I will be 25 come June. Almost 3 years work experience postgrad - 2 of them international. I worked throughout college to pay for it and I'm lucky enough to have no undergraduate debt. I will not being receiving financial assistance from my parents either. As for my numbers, my LSAT made UVA a definite reach for me... so receiving no merit aid was of no surprise!
I think it's hard to justify a maximum upfront outlay when the first-year salary has a ceiling in private practice. Are any of your top 20 options near where you would like to practice (or does any have true national reach if you're undecided)? How much of a discount is on offer?

It sounds like you have some things going for you and if you've been sponsored for a work visa abroad I'd think your resume doesn't necessarily need the best school that accepts you.[/quote]

I screwed up the formatting. Had to delete some old comments to be able to reply.

youknowsimone

New

Post by youknowsimone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am

Quick question: is there an ASW going on during March 31/April 1? I was waitlisted, and I'm trying to schedule a visit, but I would hate to crash an ASW. If there is, I'm planning on visiting on the 30th.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:17 am

Last edited by 20170322 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 am

youknowsimone wrote:Quick question: is there an ASW going on during March 31/April 1? I was waitlisted, and I'm trying to schedule a visit, but I would hate to crash an ASW. If there is, I'm planning on visiting on the 30th.
Pretty sure the only one is this weekend

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 am

youknowsimone wrote:Quick question: is there an ASW going on during March 31/April 1? I was waitlisted, and I'm trying to schedule a visit, but I would hate to crash an ASW. If there is, I'm planning on visiting on the 30th.
Nope. Just tomorrow and Friday. You should be fine.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 am

SweetTort wrote:Omg y'all this place is beautiful.
You already in Cville dude?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
He's bought a house and moved in already.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

S.Picquery wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
So we dropping a keg at Tort's place then?? Only seems reasonable. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Now is this before or after the bar crawl?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Now is this before or after the bar crawl?
Good question. I like the idea of running an impromptu "hospitality check" on Tort's place. But, the odds of any of us getting away from the Biltmore not a hot mess are little to none. So, maybe we raincheck this until orientation week.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:42 pm

OK everybody who's attending tomorrow/Friday's Open House: It looks like the mob has spoken loudly and with (mostly) one voice.

The bar review tomorrow evening will be at the Biltmore. http://thebiltmorecville.com

If you are so inclined, please join us there after all the fun and frivolity from day-one's activities is over.

Looking forward to meeting you all. Safe travels!

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:OK everybody who's attending tomorrow/Friday's Open House: It looks like the mob has spoken loudly and with (mostly) one voice.

The bar review tomorrow evening will be at the Biltmore. http://thebiltmorecville.com

If you are so inclined, please join us there after all the fun and frivolity from day-one's activities is over.

Looking forward to meeting you all. Safe travels!
Have a great time! I can't make it tomorrow but will be there on Friday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Officially my 3 month UR 1-iversary

I haven't even seen movement for anybody in going on two weeks.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 pm

UVA's ASD is happening now if I'm not mistaken. Chances for those of us stuck in UR1 for months are pretty grim at this point, aren't they?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Nightwing wrote:UVA's ASD is happening now if I'm not mistaken. Chances for those of us stuck in UR1 for months are pretty grim at this point, aren't they?
We are up the proverbial shit creek, and it appears we failed to bring a paddle

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Nightwing wrote:UVA's ASD is happening now if I'm not mistaken. Chances for those of us stuck in UR1 for months are pretty grim at this point, aren't they?
We are up the proverbial shit creek, and it appears we failed to bring a paddle
Ya think UR2 gives you a paddle at least? Or nah?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”