Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
39
28%
Dinged :(
5
4%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
3
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
52
37%
Admitted - Withdrew
16
12%
Admitted - Attending!
24
17%
 
Total votes: 139

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....

User avatar
jessmeesh
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!



YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!

Zipman
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Zipman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

WL via email, expected a rejection, so hey can't complain I guess?

VA2lawschool
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby VA2lawschool » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


Jan. accept here, and I ended up getting a little more in merit aid than I would have thought, so don't resign yourself to sticker yet! Congrats to all admits! Waiting on aid from Columbia, as I will likely be making a Columbia/UChi choice.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Leliana wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!


Congrats!!!
poptart123 wrote: That's amazing!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!


The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools

User avatar
jessmeesh
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!


Congrats!!!
poptart123 wrote: That's amazing!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!


The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools



I'm super close to getting my Why Chicago in, I have a visit planned for the end of the month, then I mentally prepped material for 2-3 LOCIs as necessary. UChi WL is the best outcome I have so far, so I really really want it.

Personally, I'm willing to pay sticker (and likely would be if/when I get off the waitlist). But I realize that most people are more debt averse and it is a risky choice.

VA2lawschool
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby VA2lawschool » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!


Congrats!!!
poptart123 wrote: That's amazing!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!


The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools


Did you take the Feb LSAT? A new score could explain the quick pull off the WL. Congrats!

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!


Congrats!!!
poptart123 wrote: That's amazing!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!


The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools


Did you take the Feb LSAT? A new score could explain the quick pull off the WL. Congrats!

Yes, but I didn't improve and they had it when I got WLed :oops: My gpa is pretty high, though, so perhaps they decided to admit a few more splitters than planned on. Thanks, btw!

Alexandros
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Alexandros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm

chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!

EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
EWofNell
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby EWofNell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!

EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!


WOW THATS AWESOME

did you interview before coming off the waitlist?

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm

EWofNell wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!

EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!


WOW THATS AWESOME

did you interview before coming off the waitlist?

Thanks! I interviewed in February and was waitlisted earlier this month

User avatar
gargleblaster
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.

dyebri
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dyebri » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation

User avatar
SilverSurfer2020
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SilverSurfer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation


Something I've been trying to learn more about, but for those interested in BL, what's the advantage of Chicago vs other lesser ranked T13s? In a similar position (offered just about sticker) and am weighing the pros and cons.

User avatar
gargleblaster
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation


Something I've been trying to learn more about, but for those interested in BL, what's the advantage of Chicago vs other lesser ranked T13s? In a similar position (offered just about sticker) and am weighing the pros and cons.


Chicago clearly places its grads more reliably into biglaw and into clerkships, so the risk of coming out unemployed is greatly reduced by going to an elite school like Chicago - however, I'd much prefer to just not have "the risk of being unemployed" be this life altering sword of Damocles hanging over my head, which i can avoid by obtaining a free, but otherwise near identical education at a lesser ranked school. So many people end up hating legal practice, changing career paths, etc, that even though i know what it is like as i have worked in a law firm since i graduated undergrad, i really don't want to put on those debt-shackles.

Like if i just want to take a year off of working at some point when I'm like 33 (maybe to learn a new skill or start a business or just fuck off for a while) - I won't be able to do that if i go full debt at chicago cause I won't have any money saved

User avatar
jessmeesh
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts



Personally I'm not worried about what scholarships my peers did or didn't receive. It'll come down to what my options are and what the best option is for me and my goals. And that may be paying sticker depending on how things shake out. If someone else got a full ride- I'm happy for them and the options they had. But I'm not going to turn away from an amazing school that would offer amazing opportunity just because I'm paying more than someone else. Doesn't really advance myself as a person to go to a school with less stellar outcomes out of spite for someone else's scholarship.

And obviously deciding how much debt is too much is a personal choice. Just talking about making the decision based on peers having full rides.

User avatar
TudoBem
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TudoBem » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!

EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!


CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I'm willing to pay sticker too!

User avatar
gargleblaster
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts



Personally I'm not worried about what scholarships my peers did or didn't receive. It'll come down to what my options are and what the best option is for me and my goals. And that may be paying sticker depending on how things shake out. If someone else got a full ride- I'm happy for them and the options they had. But I'm not going to turn away from an amazing school that would offer amazing opportunity just because I'm paying more than someone else. Doesn't really advance myself as a person to go to a school with less stellar outcomes out of spite for someone else's scholarship.

And obviously deciding how much debt is too much is a personal choice. Just talking about making the decision based on peers having full rides.


You're absolutely right. My main factor on choosing chicago is not that other people will be going for free, its that I'll have options that will be free/nearly free at similarly ranked schools. The main point of my comment was that chicago was not worth 300-400k in debt(to me), the additional shame of being surrounded by people that had it better would just be that extra needle in my side.

If you're one of those rare people that truly doesn't care that the other people around them in their social groups have it way better than they do, you're a much better person than i - I'm just not really that way.

Keilz
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Keilz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!


Wow congrats!! What a cool surprise! Did you write a why Chicago after you were WLd?

lsa16
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lsa16 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
dyebri wrote:IN!


Would you guys take this at sticker


Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....


I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.



Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation


Something I've been trying to learn more about, but for those interested in BL, what's the advantage of Chicago vs other lesser ranked T13s? In a similar position (offered just about sticker) and am weighing the pros and cons.


Chicago clearly places its grads more reliably into biglaw and into clerkships, so the risk of coming out unemployed is greatly reduced by going to an elite school like Chicago - however, I'd much prefer to just not have "the risk of being unemployed" be this life altering sword of Damocles hanging over my head, which i can avoid by obtaining a free, but otherwise near identical education at a lesser ranked school. So many people end up hating legal practice, changing career paths, etc, that even though i know what it is like as i have worked in a law firm since i graduated undergrad, i really don't want to put on those debt-shackles.

Like if i just want to take a year off of working at some point when I'm like 33 (maybe to learn a new skill or start a business or just fuck off for a while) - I won't be able to do that if i go full debt at chicago cause I won't have any money saved


+1 to that. If you're the kind of person that is totally down to stay in a firm in the US for the next 30 years and you know that, you'll pay whatever debt off at some point and be totally fine. I'm personally not super comfortable with not being able to act on a whim at some point in the next decade if I feel like it.

User avatar
jessmeesh
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

gargleblaster wrote:

You're absolutely right. My main factor on choosing chicago is not that other people will be going for free, its that I'll have options that will be free/nearly free at similarly ranked schools. The main point of my comment was that chicago was not worth 300-400k in debt(to me), the additional shame of being surrounded by people that had it better would just be that extra needle in my side.

If you're one of those rare people that truly doesn't care that the other people around them in their social groups have it way better than they do, you're a much better person than i - I'm just not really that way.


Hey, if my decision came down to multiple offers from top schools and some of them were big scholarships, I would choose those ones too. So I totally get you. And it's not that I don't care that others have it better than me, I totally do. But if by some blessing I were to get off the WL at UChi, my options are going to be 25-30 schools with $$$ or UChi probably at sticker. I don't have any in-between offers. In that instance I would pick UChi at sticker without hesitation, even though my peers would have it better than me.

User avatar
gargleblaster
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

You're absolutely right. My main factor on choosing chicago is not that other people will be going for free, its that I'll have options that will be free/nearly free at similarly ranked schools. The main point of my comment was that chicago was not worth 300-400k in debt(to me), the additional shame of being surrounded by people that had it better would just be that extra needle in my side.

If you're one of those rare people that truly doesn't care that the other people around them in their social groups have it way better than they do, you're a much better person than i - I'm just not really that way.


Hey, if my decision came down to multiple offers from top schools and some of them were big scholarships, I would choose those ones too. So I totally get you. And it's not that I don't care that others have it better than me, I totally do. But if by some blessing I were to get off the WL at UChi, my options are going to be 25-30 schools with $$$ or UChi probably at sticker. I don't have any in-between offers. In that instance I would pick UChi at sticker without hesitation, even though my peers would have it better than me.



Sounds reasonable to me. I hope you get your blessing!

lawschoolhopeful28
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawschoolhopeful28 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was admitted today after being waitlisted. I interviewed on 2/27 and was waitlisted on 03/01. I submitted a Why UChicago essay on 3/12 and was accepted via email today. Has anyone else been admitted off the waitlist already after submitting a Why UChicago Essay? I am certainly not complaining, as UChicago was my top choice--I really just thought that they didn't start accepting people off of the waitlist until April.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3169
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm

lawschoolhopeful28 wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was admitted today after being waitlisted. I interviewed on 2/27 and was waitlisted on 03/01. I submitted a Why UChicago essay on 3/12 and was accepted via email today. Has anyone else been admitted off the waitlist already after submitting a Why UChicago Essay? I am certainly not complaining, as UChicago was my top choice--I really just thought that they didn't start accepting people off of the waitlist until April.

Similar interview and waitlist date. Also accepted off the WL today, but I did not submit a why chicago/LOCI. Also surprised




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests