Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
29%
Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
11%
Admitted - Attending!
17%

Total votes: 149

LSRAT

Bronze

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by LSRAT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:56 am

TudoBem wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Anyone tried negotiating and hear back yet? (Unlikely, I know, but I'm super hoping that maybe their turnaround for recon$ideration request$ is faster than they officially state in the email...) :?
No but they said at ASW that they will start looking at those requests tomorrow - it sounded like quite a few of us have quick deadlines at other schools so they still weren't promising anything but it's possible you could hear this week
How was ASW Isa16?
Honestly, it made my decision really easy. Going in, I was primarily concerned about the atmosphere on campus, class size, and PI placement. I found that the current students were really enjoyable and *shock* fun! (but not as fun as the admits :D). There was a weird amount of discussion regarding the conservative reputation Chi has. If you're wondering, what I came away with is that yes, there is a higher percentage of conservative professors and students, but that the majority is overwhelmingly liberal. Different percentages were thrown around, but people kept saying "yeah, it's more like 10 percent conservative rather than the 5 percent at peer schools." The Federalist society also has a lot of outside funding at Chicago, so a lot of the lunchtime speakers come from them, which could add to the perception. At the end, I actually preferred the idea that a higher percent of my classmates might actually have a different political leaning than I do. I also came to really enjoy the idea of a small class size after seeing how many of the students my host knew and was able to talk to/get along with. Coming from a small school, I loved the vibe! And while Chicago tends to have lower placement in PI, I talked to a few students in PILS and they mentioned that 1) it's definitely growing, and 2) in the meantime, all the resources/opportunities for those interested in PI go to those few of them, meaning that they get far more opportunities than they might at a different school.

Just my perception, but feel free to ask any questions about it if you weren't there.

lawlzschool

Bronze

Post by lawlzschool » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 am

LSRAT wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Anyone tried negotiating and hear back yet? (Unlikely, I know, but I'm super hoping that maybe their turnaround for recon$ideration request$ is faster than they officially state in the email...) :?
No but they said at ASW that they will start looking at those requests tomorrow - it sounded like quite a few of us have quick deadlines at other schools so they still weren't promising anything but it's possible you could hear this week
How was ASW Isa16?
Honestly, it made my decision really easy. Going in, I was primarily concerned about the atmosphere on campus, class size, and PI placement. I found that the current students were really enjoyable and *shock* fun! (but not as fun as the admits :D). There was a weird amount of discussion regarding the conservative reputation Chi has. If you're wondering, what I came away with is that yes, there is a higher percentage of conservative professors and students, but that the majority is overwhelmingly liberal. Different percentages were thrown around, but people kept saying "yeah, it's more like 10 percent conservative rather than the 5 percent at peer schools." The Federalist society also has a lot of outside funding at Chicago, so a lot of the lunchtime speakers come from them, which could add to the perception. At the end, I actually preferred the idea that a higher percent of my classmates might actually have a different political leaning than I do. I also came to really enjoy the idea of a small class size after seeing how many of the students my host knew and was able to talk to/get along with. Coming from a small school, I loved the vibe! And while Chicago tends to have lower placement in PI, I talked to a few students in PILS and they mentioned that 1) it's definitely growing, and 2) in the meantime, all the resources/opportunities for those interested in PI go to those few of them, meaning that they get far more opportunities than they might at a different school.

Just my perception, but feel free to ask any questions about it if you weren't there.
100% agree and to add, ASW changed my decision from definitive 'no' to absolutely attending.

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am

lawlzschool wrote:
LSRAT wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
How was ASW Isa16?

100% agree and to add, ASW changed my decision from definitive 'no' to absolutely attending.
Seconded

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:10 am

Smc1994 wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
LSRAT wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
How was ASW Isa16?

Seconded
+1 and on the conservative thing: I got the impression that UChi is overall a liberal school but just more conservative than other liberal schools. I also liked the commitment to free speech/encouraging discussion and debate in a respectful way. UChi seemed to be really open to challenging ideas of everybody and fostering a pursuit of academic inquiry. This was really attractive to me. Maybe I'm just a geek who fits the UChi stereotype, though.

Also rent in the area is pretty decent for a major city, so that was a selling point. lol

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am

Looks like I'm the only one who walked away from ASW feeling like it made me much more likely NOT to attend than making my decision to attend easier!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Looks like I'm the only one who walked away from ASW feeling like it made me much more likely NOT to attend than making my decision to attend easier!!
Would love to hear why if you want to share

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:41 am

Thought ASW was great and well run, really enjoyed the campus and thought the admits especially were awesome people. Really complicated my decision--anyone else debating Chicago and Columbia? I liked the class size and campus more with Chicago but NYC is more attractive to me.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 am

Kinch08 wrote:Shameless annoying I-haven't-read-the-thread question: What's the latest that we could hear back? I've been UR1 since 2/28, not sure what that means about my chances. Commitment deadlines at other schools are coming due hella soon--there won't even be time for an interview, etc. if they wait much longer.
For what it's worth, "commitment deadlines" at other schools can't require you to withdraw from any schools that haven't made a final decision on your application (whether pending or WLed). If you commit somewhere and then get an offer from Chicago later on, you can back out of the first school and go to Chicago. (You might lose your deposit at the first school, but that's it.)

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 am

I was set on another school and the ASW made me unsure of where to go. Which is good for Chicago but bad for me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
LSRAT wrote:
TudoBem wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
How was ASW Isa16?
Text block
Seconded
+1 and on the conservative thing: I got the impression that UChi is overall a liberal school but just more conservative than other liberal schools. I also liked the commitment to free speech/encouraging discussion and debate in a respectful way. UChi seemed to be really open to challenging ideas of everybody and fostering a pursuit of academic inquiry. This was really attractive to me. Maybe I'm just a geek who fits the UChi stereotype, though.

Also rent in the area is pretty decent for a major city, so that was a selling point. lol
Definitely agree

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

lsa16 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Looks like I'm the only one who walked away from ASW feeling like it made me much more likely NOT to attend than making my decision to attend easier!!
Yeah! Maybe it will be useful for other people who couldn't go to hear a different perspective. I feel like I should open by saying that I completely expected to fall in love with UChi and it has been my top choice/school that I've been most excited about since the beginning of the cycle. I was honestly more nervous for the Chicago interview than I was for Harvard's because I wanted to get into Chi so badly. So my expectations were high and I had probably built it up more in my head than I should have, and that's not Chi's fault. Also should open by saying that I liked UChi and enjoyed my visit and I could go there and be perfectly fine, it's not a matter of something I think the school did wrong or is objectively bad about it. I think the school itself was exactly as advertised, and it's a personal fit issue on my end more than anything else.

That being said, my overall impression of the school can be summed up as "cold." More institutionally than personally, because I had pleasant and friendly interactions with administrators/admitted & current students. It felt to me like the school had no real personality other than being a place of academic & professional excellence, which is undeniable but "smart" and "rigorous" are not really personalities in my opinion. I guess I'm looking for some place that will feel homey in some way given the insane amount of time that you spend there over three years, and I didn't get that sense from UChi. I realize it's a professional school and so for some people that may not matter or they got a different feeling from it, but it was just missing for me.

Also, I don't have BigLaw goals so although the strength of a school's brand and reputation is important to me like it is for BigLaw people, their superior placement into BigLaw firms isn't a huge selling point for me. I understand the argument that being one of only a handful of people PI/gov focused means that you can take advantage of even more of the resources/attention/institutional support available for those students than at other schools where there are more people competing for them, but I heard "keep an open mind" about BigLaw a couple of times over the weekend when really, I know that's not what I want to do. It's important to me to have at least some other classmates who are striving for the same types of jobs I want, especially when the current students talked about how much 2Ls and 3Ls helped in their own job searches. I had a lengthy discussion at one event with a 3L who didn't flat out tell me not to come after explaining my career goals, but told me that I was asking the right questions and that I should seriously consider going elsewhere.

Finally, didn't get the sense from any students that they've loved their time at UChi. I think everybody is appreciative of how amazing the school's reputation is and the academic rigor, to the extent that that can be quantified and is superior to other schools, and appreciative of the fact that the employment outcomes are fantastic, but I walked away thinking that people liked UChi more for what it's done for them professionally than for the time they've spent there in and of itself, both academically and in terms of the relationships they've built with their classmates. On some of the alumni panel at other schools I've heard the sentiment that time at X school "is some of the best three years of their lives" and that they would choose to go to X school again in a heartbeat/wish they were still there, and while one person answered affirmatively that they would make the same choice of school again, it was hesitantly.

Thankfully I'm in a position where I can afford to be nitpicky and maybe choose to care about somethings that other people find irrelevant, because I have another option that makes a lot of sense financially and doesn't have some of the same downfalls (although I know it has its own!). I love the city of Chicago and overall liked the school. I'm sure that Chi is the right fit for a lot of people, I'm just not sure I'm one of them!

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Yeah! Maybe it will be useful for other people who couldn't go to hear a different perspective. I feel like I should open by saying that I completely expected to fall in love with UChi and it has been my top choice/school that I've been most excited about since the beginning of the cycle. I was honestly more nervous for the Chicago interview than I was for Harvard's because I wanted to get into Chi so badly. So my expectations were high and I had probably built it up more in my head than I should have, and that's not Chi's fault. Also should open by saying that I liked UChi and enjoyed my visit and I could go there and be perfectly fine, it's not a matter of something I think the school did wrong or is objectively bad about it. I think the school itself was exactly as advertised, and it's a personal fit issue on my end more than anything else.

That being said, my overall impression of the school can be summed up as "cold." More institutionally than personally, because I had pleasant and friendly interactions with administrators/admitted & current students. It felt to me like the school had no real personality other than being a place of academic & professional excellence, which is undeniable but "smart" and "rigorous" are not really personalities in my opinion. I guess I'm looking for some place that will feel homey in some way given the insane amount of time that you spend there over three years, and I didn't get that sense from UChi. I realize it's a professional school and so for some people that may not matter or they got a different feeling from it, but it was just missing for me.

Also, I don't have BigLaw goals so although the strength of a school's brand and reputation is important to me like it is for BigLaw people, their superior placement into BigLaw firms isn't a huge selling point for me. I understand the argument that being one of only a handful of people PI/gov focused means that you can take advantage of even more of the resources/attention/institutional support available for those students than at other schools where there are more people competing for them, but I heard "keep an open mind" about BigLaw a couple of times over the weekend when really, I know that's not what I want to do. It's important to me to have at least some other classmates who are striving for the same types of jobs I want, especially when the current students talked about how much 2Ls and 3Ls helped in their own job searches. I had a lengthy discussion at one event with a 3L who didn't flat out tell me not to come after explaining my career goals, but told me that I was asking the right questions and that I should seriously consider going elsewhere.

Finally, didn't get the sense from any students that they've loved their time at UChi. I think everybody is appreciative of how amazing the school's reputation is and the academic rigor, to the extent that that can be quantified and is superior to other schools, and appreciative of the fact that the employment outcomes are fantastic, but I walked away thinking that people liked UChi more for what it's done for them professionally than for the time they've spent there in and of itself, both academically and in terms of the relationships they've built with their classmates. On some of the alumni panel at other schools I've heard the sentiment that time at X school "is some of the best three years of their lives" and that they would choose to go to X school again in a heartbeat/wish they were still there, and while one person answered affirmatively that they would make the same choice of school again, it was hesitantly.

Thankfully I'm in a position where I can afford to be nitpicky and maybe choose to care about somethings that other people find irrelevant, because I have another option that makes a lot of sense financially and doesn't have some of the same downfalls (although I know it has its own!). I love the city of Chicago and overall liked the school. I'm sure that Chi is the right fit for a lot of people, I'm just not sure I'm one of them!
Thank you! That was insanely helpful. I think we agree about whether homey-ness is an important quality, and that was the impression I got when I spoke with other students/alums as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:26 pm

chargers21 wrote:I was set on another school and the ASW made me unsure of where to go. Which is good for Chicago but bad for me
Go Chicago! :D

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:31 pm

TudoBem wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I was set on another school and the ASW made me unsure of where to go. Which is good for Chicago but bad for me
Go Chicago! :D
Hey, if they gave me more money and changed the climate I'd be there in a heartbeat

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
Yeah! Maybe it will be useful for other people who couldn't go to hear a different perspective. I feel like I should open by saying that I completely expected to fall in love with UChi and it has been my top choice/school that I've been most excited about since the beginning of the cycle... (cont.)
Good point! I understand where you're coming from, but I think this is what I enjoyed about the school -- that it's about the academics. I think it's all about what you're looking for so I really appreciate this perspective!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Anyone else left on here just getting ghosted? Don't know what to make of that at this point

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlzschool

Bronze

Post by lawlzschool » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:Anyone else left on here just getting ghosted? Don't know what to make of that at this point
fwiw my host at asw said they weren't accepted til something crazy like may 29 after submitting on the last day, so if you applied rather late you might hear really late as well.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:Anyone else left on here just getting ghosted? Don't know what to make of that at this point
fwiw my host at asw said they weren't accepted til something crazy like may 29 after submitting on the last day, so if you applied rather late you might hear really late as well.
I applied like 3 or 4 days before the deadline.
oh well!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm

I had a blast at UChi this weekend.

It's def my top choice, but without more $$ i'll probably have to go elsewhere.

I really clicked with the studetns and professors and I'm really digging that "intellectual rigor" vibe - maybe that makes me a weirdo, but hey, i am what i am

also, on a human interest/tls note - im like 100% i met lawlzschool in person there

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

I got the same impression from their Day in the Life Program. Thank you for putting this into words in a way that I could not!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
lsa16 wrote:

I got the same impression from their Day in the Life Program. Thank you for putting this into words in a way that I could not!

You know what. I agree completely with this assessment. I had a really good time at ASW but I don't feel like this is the place that people come and "enjoy their time"

I do feel like it's been a good fit for me, because i feel that i thrive better in situations where i feel like i have something to prove and am not comfortable. Chicago definitely has its own rep and vibe tho. thats for sure.

I think i would pick Umich or berk if i wanted to enjoy my time at LS. looks like i might end up at mich anyways tho.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Definitely important to feel like you would be comfortable wherever you are going.

I will say as a 2L that there are definitely a lot of people in my class who are PI-or-die and who would never consider BigLaw. We especially have a strong criminal defense/exoneration (and prosecution, if you're into that) contingent because of our strong clinical faculty in those areas. That said, they're not at all the kind of people who look down on people who consider BigLaw or do a summer in BigLaw. And since you can summer in both, it makes sense for some people to do the SA, get the paycheck, and be 100% certain that it's not for them (even if they never look back.)

I should also point out that a lot of our PI-committed people have had their career plans seriously disrupted by the election and the hiring changes in the federal government. Obviously, there is PI stuff outside of FedGov, but a lot of grant funding from the government, research funding, fellowships, and similar are on really shaky ground right now. That might explain a lot of the doom-and-gloom or lack of peppiness. Overall, the election seems to have hit a lot of people really hard here.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm

also sorry I'll get out of this thread and leave you to it. I just love my PILS friends and wanted to make it clear that they are here and great :)

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

landshoes wrote:Definitely important to feel like you would be comfortable wherever you are going.

I will say as a 2L that there are definitely a lot of people in my class who are PI-or-die and who would never consider BigLaw. We especially have a strong criminal defense/exoneration (and prosecution, if you're into that) contingent because of our strong clinical faculty in those areas. That said, they're not at all the kind of people who look down on people who consider BigLaw or do a summer in BigLaw. And since you can summer in both, it makes sense for some people to do the SA, get the paycheck, and be 100% certain that it's not for them (even if they never look back.)

I should also point out that a lot of our PI-committed people have had their career plans seriously disrupted by the election and the hiring changes in the federal government. Obviously, there is PI stuff outside of FedGov, but a lot of grant funding from the government, research funding, fellowships, and similar are on really shaky ground right now. That might explain a lot of the doom-and-gloom or lack of peppiness. Overall, the election seems to have hit a lot of people really hard here.
"And since you can summer in both" ==> I like that a lot.
Thank you for your post. Very helpful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”