Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
29%
Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
11%
Admitted - Attending!
17%

Total votes: 149

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

dyebri wrote:IN!

Would you guys take this at sticker
Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!

YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

WL via email, expected a rejection, so hey can't complain I guess?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

mrgstephe wrote:

Legitimate question here. Some people I've talked to said I'd be crazy to not go, but sticker seems absurd anywhere....
Jan. accept here, and I ended up getting a little more in merit aid than I would have thought, so don't resign yourself to sticker yet! Congrats to all admits! Waiting on aid from Columbia, as I will likely be making a Columbia/UChi choice.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Leliana wrote:
chargers21 wrote:HOLY COW!!!! I just got in off the WL today!!! I am so caught off guard!!!
Congrats!!!
poptart123 wrote: That's amazing!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!
The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Congrats!!!

Thanks!
jessmeesh wrote: YAYY! Congrats! I'm going to push hard on the WL, so you give me hope!
The weird thing is, I hadn't sent in my LOCI yet since I was just WLed a few weeks ago. I am in bisbelief about this completely.

Also wondering about whether sticker is worth it at UChicago, especially when one doesn't have any really big scholarships to any t13 schools

I'm super close to getting my Why Chicago in, I have a visit planned for the end of the month, then I mentally prepped material for 2-3 LOCIs as necessary. UChi WL is the best outcome I have so far, so I really really want it.

Personally, I'm willing to pay sticker (and likely would be if/when I get off the waitlist). But I realize that most people are more debt averse and it is a risky choice.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Congrats!!!

Thanks!

Did you take the Feb LSAT? A new score could explain the quick pull off the WL. Congrats!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Congrats!!!

Thanks!

Did you take the Feb LSAT? A new score could explain the quick pull off the WL. Congrats!
Yes, but I didn't improve and they had it when I got WLed :oops: My gpa is pretty high, though, so perhaps they decided to admit a few more splitters than planned on. Thanks, btw!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm

EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Alexandros wrote:
EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW THATS AWESOME

did you interview before coming off the waitlist?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:15 pm

EWofNell wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW THATS AWESOME

did you interview before coming off the waitlist?
Thanks! I interviewed in February and was waitlisted earlier this month

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

mrgstephe wrote:

I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.

dyebri

Bronze

Post by dyebri » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

I just can't imagine that Chi at sticker will be better than one of my other offers.

I also would just feel like a chump in class next to the 15% of chi students that are on full rides. Oh you're getting a full scholarship just because you had a slightly better UGPA than me? I just dont see the degree begin worth $300,000+ more than another elite school "ranked lower" than them.

Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Insteresting persoective. Let's continue this conversation. What's is everyone else thoughts
I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation

SilverSurfer2020

Bronze

Post by SilverSurfer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

I'm at likely sticker to Chicago, 75k to a t10, or near full to a t20. Chicago seems like a decent choice in my situation
Something I've been trying to learn more about, but for those interested in BL, what's the advantage of Chicago vs other lesser ranked T13s? In a similar position (offered just about sticker) and am weighing the pros and cons.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Something I've been trying to learn more about, but for those interested in BL, what's the advantage of Chicago vs other lesser ranked T13s? In a similar position (offered just about sticker) and am weighing the pros and cons.
Chicago clearly places its grads more reliably into biglaw and into clerkships, so the risk of coming out unemployed is greatly reduced by going to an elite school like Chicago - however, I'd much prefer to just not have "the risk of being unemployed" be this life altering sword of Damocles hanging over my head, which i can avoid by obtaining a free, but otherwise near identical education at a lesser ranked school. So many people end up hating legal practice, changing career paths, etc, that even though i know what it is like as i have worked in a law firm since i graduated undergrad, i really don't want to put on those debt-shackles.

Like if i just want to take a year off of working at some point when I'm like 33 (maybe to learn a new skill or start a business or just fuck off for a while) - I won't be able to do that if i go full debt at chicago cause I won't have any money saved

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Personally I'm not worried about what scholarships my peers did or didn't receive. It'll come down to what my options are and what the best option is for me and my goals. And that may be paying sticker depending on how things shake out. If someone else got a full ride- I'm happy for them and the options they had. But I'm not going to turn away from an amazing school that would offer amazing opportunity just because I'm paying more than someone else. Doesn't really advance myself as a person to go to a school with less stellar outcomes out of spite for someone else's scholarship.

And obviously deciding how much debt is too much is a personal choice. Just talking about making the decision based on peers having full rides.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
EYYYYYYYYYYYYY
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I'm willing to pay sticker too!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Personally I'm not worried about what scholarships my peers did or didn't receive. It'll come down to what my options are and what the best option is for me and my goals. And that may be paying sticker depending on how things shake out. If someone else got a full ride- I'm happy for them and the options they had. But I'm not going to turn away from an amazing school that would offer amazing opportunity just because I'm paying more than someone else. Doesn't really advance myself as a person to go to a school with less stellar outcomes out of spite for someone else's scholarship.

And obviously deciding how much debt is too much is a personal choice. Just talking about making the decision based on peers having full rides.
You're absolutely right. My main factor on choosing chicago is not that other people will be going for free, its that I'll have options that will be free/nearly free at similarly ranked schools. The main point of my comment was that chicago was not worth 300-400k in debt(to me), the additional shame of being surrounded by people that had it better would just be that extra needle in my side.

If you're one of those rare people that truly doesn't care that the other people around them in their social groups have it way better than they do, you're a much better person than i - I'm just not really that way.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow congrats!! What a cool surprise! Did you write a why Chicago after you were WLd?

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
dyebri wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Chicago clearly places its grads more reliably into biglaw and into clerkships, so the risk of coming out unemployed is greatly reduced by going to an elite school like Chicago - however, I'd much prefer to just not have "the risk of being unemployed" be this life altering sword of Damocles hanging over my head, which i can avoid by obtaining a free, but otherwise near identical education at a lesser ranked school. So many people end up hating legal practice, changing career paths, etc, that even though i know what it is like as i have worked in a law firm since i graduated undergrad, i really don't want to put on those debt-shackles.

Like if i just want to take a year off of working at some point when I'm like 33 (maybe to learn a new skill or start a business or just fuck off for a while) - I won't be able to do that if i go full debt at chicago cause I won't have any money saved
+1 to that. If you're the kind of person that is totally down to stay in a firm in the US for the next 30 years and you know that, you'll pay whatever debt off at some point and be totally fine. I'm personally not super comfortable with not being able to act on a whim at some point in the next decade if I feel like it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

gargleblaster wrote:

You're absolutely right. My main factor on choosing chicago is not that other people will be going for free, its that I'll have options that will be free/nearly free at similarly ranked schools. The main point of my comment was that chicago was not worth 300-400k in debt(to me), the additional shame of being surrounded by people that had it better would just be that extra needle in my side.

If you're one of those rare people that truly doesn't care that the other people around them in their social groups have it way better than they do, you're a much better person than i - I'm just not really that way.
Hey, if my decision came down to multiple offers from top schools and some of them were big scholarships, I would choose those ones too. So I totally get you. And it's not that I don't care that others have it better than me, I totally do. But if by some blessing I were to get off the WL at UChi, my options are going to be 25-30 schools with $$$ or UChi probably at sticker. I don't have any in-between offers. In that instance I would pick UChi at sticker without hesitation, even though my peers would have it better than me.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
gargleblaster wrote:

Hey, if my decision came down to multiple offers from top schools and some of them were big scholarships, I would choose those ones too. So I totally get you. And it's not that I don't care that others have it better than me, I totally do. But if by some blessing I were to get off the WL at UChi, my options are going to be 25-30 schools with $$$ or UChi probably at sticker. I don't have any in-between offers. In that instance I would pick UChi at sticker without hesitation, even though my peers would have it better than me.

Sounds reasonable to me. I hope you get your blessing!

lawschoolhopeful28

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful28 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was admitted today after being waitlisted. I interviewed on 2/27 and was waitlisted on 03/01. I submitted a Why UChicago essay on 3/12 and was accepted via email today. Has anyone else been admitted off the waitlist already after submitting a Why UChicago Essay? I am certainly not complaining, as UChicago was my top choice--I really just thought that they didn't start accepting people off of the waitlist until April.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm

lawschoolhopeful28 wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was admitted today after being waitlisted. I interviewed on 2/27 and was waitlisted on 03/01. I submitted a Why UChicago essay on 3/12 and was accepted via email today. Has anyone else been admitted off the waitlist already after submitting a Why UChicago Essay? I am certainly not complaining, as UChicago was my top choice--I really just thought that they didn't start accepting people off of the waitlist until April.
Similar interview and waitlist date. Also accepted off the WL today, but I did not submit a why chicago/LOCI. Also surprised

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”