Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your Status?

Still Waiting on a Decision
29%
Dinged :(
5%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
2%
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
36%
Admitted - Withdrew
11%
Admitted - Attending!
17%

Total votes: 149

tartan2016

New

Re: Chicago C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by tartan2016 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

[quote="seeprybyrun"]UR3 today.

178/3.97, Complete 3/6, UR1 3/31, Interview 4/13, UR2 "4/12" (not sure how that happened, but changed to UR, with status date 4/12, on 4/14 after
-
Last edited by tartan2016 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

tartan2016

New

Post by tartan2016 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 am

tartan2016 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:UR3 today.

178/3.97, Complete 3/6, UR1 3/31, Interview 4/13, UR2 "4/12" (not sure how that happened, but changed to UR, with status date 4/12, on 4/14 after my interview)
+1. Interview recently. My interviewer said it could be awhile before getting a decision but dont withdraw app until they give one. So i guess it'll be awhile before hearing back.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Got invited to interview but I've already decided on another school. Does anyone know if there's a way to withdraw without having to schedule an interview? Can I just email admissions and ask them to take me out of the running?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

drjekyllope wrote:Can I just email admissions and ask them to take me out of the running?
Yes. I'd just email and request that your application be withdrawn as you've already decided.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 am

what's the reason behind chicago WL'ing many above median candidates?

i can't think that not writing why chicago be a reason, a T6 school wouldn't YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 am

appind wrote:what's the reason behind chicago WL'ing many above median candidates?

i can't think that not writing why chicago be a reason, a T6 school wouldn't YP.
eh.... may be due to only 190 spots ?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 am

cftvgybhu wrote:
appind wrote:what's the reason behind chicago WL'ing many above median candidates?

I'd say it's definitely due to that combined with application timeline. If your app wasn't in early, early early January at the absolute latest, you were looking a little SOL.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 am

It's a relatively small school. I don't know the answer but it seems like at some point every school has to stop admitting people until it knows its yield.

I got in off the waitlist, hang in there and good luck!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:12 am

landshoes wrote:It's a relatively small school. I don't know the answer but it seems like at some point every school has to stop admitting people until it knows its yield.

Any tips for getting off the waitlist? I've already visited and mentioned my visit in a Why UChicago. I'll be sending a LOCI early next week after the deposit deadline. Just curious if you had any other suggestions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 am

jessmeesh wrote:
landshoes wrote:It's a relatively small school. I don't know the answer but it seems like at some point every school has to stop admitting people until it knows its yield.

Any tips for getting off the waitlist? I've already visited and mentioned my visit in a Why UChicago. I'll be sending a LOCI early next week after the deposit deadline. Just curious if you had any other suggestions.
jess let's be friends if we both get in off the WL we are taking very similar approaches!! and I too am a nasty woman

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am

xandra_v wrote:
jess let's be friends if we both get in off the WL we are taking very similar approaches!! and I too am a nasty woman

Ha! I will cross my fingers for the both of us then.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Watababe wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:

I'd say it's definitely due to that combined with application timeline. If your app wasn't in early, early early January at the absolute latest, you were looking a little SOL.
the admissions is number driven, so unless something is very wrong, schools which always try to up their median should be taking in median/above median candidates. no reason for them to be not admitting them.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm

appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:

the admissions is number driven, so unless something is very wrong, schools which always try to up their median should be taking in median/above median candidates. no reason for them to be not admitting them.
The reason would be that by the time they were reviewing the application, they were out of spots (or had a very limited number) on their acceptance list...it doesn't matter how numbers driven admissions is, if they don't have enough space then they don't have enough space.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Watababe wrote:
appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:

The reason would be that by the time they were reviewing the application, they were out of spots (or had a very limited number) on their acceptance list...it doesn't matter how numbers driven admissions is, if they don't have enough space then they don't have enough space.

Not exactly. If admissions is number driven then adcomms is trying to take in people with the best numbers for the most part. If those with above median were left out of a spot because of late submission they should still get off WL eventually. That means that almost all with above medians on WL should get a spot later in this cycle. May be someone knows if this has held true in the past.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:46 pm

appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:

Not exactly. If admissions is number driven then adcomms is trying to take in people with the best numbers for the most part. If those with above median were left out of a spot because of late submission they should still get off WL eventually. That means that almost all with above medians on WL should get a spot later in this cycle. May be someone knows if this has held true in the past.
But the question was about why individuals above medians are being WL'ed, not whether or not they'll eventually be admitted if they stay on the WL.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

sfn91 wrote:
appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
appind wrote:
Watababe wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:

But the question was about why individuals above medians are being WL'ed, not whether or not they'll eventually be admitted if they stay on the WL.
Ok. So does it mean almost all above medians will get admitted eventually?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 pm

appind wrote:Ok. So does it mean almost all above medians will get admitted eventually?
No. Obviously not all above-median admits will actually choose to attend, and the school will pull from the WL to replace those who go elsewhere, but schools tend to account for yield in their admissions process.

Like Watababe said it's literally just a question of space in the class and timeline. If you apply late your chances are worse regardless of what your numbers are.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Leliana wrote:
appind wrote:Ok. So does it mean almost all above medians will get admitted eventually?
No. Obviously not all above-median admits will actually choose to attend, and the school will pull from the WL to replace those who go elsewhere, but schools tend to account for yield in their admissions process.

Like Watababe said it's literally just a question of space in the class and timeline. If you apply late your chances are worse regardless of what your numbers are.
could also be fit. if they have a lot of above median candidates, the interview process becomes exceedingly important. the school, i think, would rather accept someone at median who they think can get hired than someone just above median who they think will struggle to find a job.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 pm

KMart wrote:
Leliana wrote:

could also be fit. if they have a lot of above median candidates, the interview process becomes exceedingly important. the school, i think, would rather accept someone at median who they think can get hired than someone just above median who they think will struggle to find a job.
Out of curiosity, what in the interview process is indicative of ability to be hired? (Seems like if they're just seeing who can interview well, one can learn that skill over the course of the next three years with their career services office.)

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
KMart wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Out of curiosity, what in the interview process is indicative of ability to be hired? (Seems like if they're just seeing who can interview well, one can learn that skill over the course of the next three years with their career services office.)
honestly, interviewing well. you'll learn that people who struggle getting jobs at OCI are just incredibly awful interviewers.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 am

You also don't really get three years. Most post-grad job opportunities are secured in the summer between first and second year. If you miss that hiring window it's a lot harder to get a job at well-paying law firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:55 am

jessmeesh wrote:

That sounds great. It's a little fuzzy for me but that's about what I did. :)

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm

UR4...

What was the usual turnaround between UR4 and decision?

ColombiaConfused

New

Post by ColombiaConfused » Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Withdrew - good luck everybody :)

kbzon

New

Post by kbzon » Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 am

Does UChicago only accept after you interview or do they ever offer a spot without an interview?
When do they start getting back to waitlisted students?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”