TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

sorence

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 #squad thread

Post by sorence » Mon May 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Nightwing wrote:
Rigo wrote: And that PT she posted didn't look promising.
Who knows though.
I'm just curious. What did that PT look like?
I think this is the one that people reference:
[+] Spoiler
You can see quite a few errors on that scantron.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Keilz wrote:
grades?? wrote:HAHAHAHA
I personally think you are overreacting
100% overreaction.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Georgetown is a good school for a vanity degree.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm

chargers21 wrote:
sorence wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Who knows though.
[+] Spoiler
And who would post anything but their best PT?
Lol this ^ if you're going to stunt, might as well stunt big.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Mon May 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Rigo wrote:Georgetown is a good school for a vanity degree.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:31 pm

sorence wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Who knows though.
[+] Spoiler
if I was famous, I would never post anything on social media. everythings too closely scrutinized.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon May 08, 2017 2:34 pm

charles117 wrote:
sorence wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Who knows though.
[+] Spoiler
if I was famous, I would never post anything on social media. everythings too closely scrutinized.
+1

I have a hard enough time committing to an instagram caption when I've got a private account only available to people I know personally (and a handful of TLSers).. I can't imaging dealing w/that level of scrutiny.

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:
Monday wrote:
StopLawying wrote:Anyone here purchasing/purchased a laptop for law school?

Any recommendations? I've been a PC user my entire life, and I'm thinking of getting a Mac now. If I end up doing that, I want to purchase it within the next several weeks so I have a few months to get used to it.
Unless you use your laptop for very specific functions (e.g. video editing, gaming), the often cited differences between the more popular options won't matter to you so you should decide based on your personal preferences. I harped on about keyboards before because the feel of the keyboard and the keys is sort of a deciding factor for me. I think MBPs are solid devices but you should go with the new model that's without the touch bar.

In addition to getting used to your device and setting up hand gestures/shortcut keys, unless you are already an expert, you should get acquainted with OneNote: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=127496.
Is OneNote available on Macs? I'm trying to think through the necessary software I would need for ls (probable 99% word) because I want to get on the Mac train again. I had a 13" air and it was the greatest.
Yes it is! It comes with the Microsoft office package you can get for free from Duke. I used OneNote all throughout undergrad and it was seriously my saving grace.
That's good to know. I don't currently use OneNote now but I know of its capabilities and feel like it could be extremely useful in ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon May 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/upl ... -times.gif[/img]
This.

She doesn't really want to go to law school and have to do the work required (not even attacking her, I can't imagine how you could do all the work needed as first daughter). She wants to be in a large school with lay prestige where she can not do much and get a degree.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

She doesn't really want to go to law school and have to do the work required (not even attacking her, I can't imagine how you could do all the work needed as first daughter). She wants to be in a large school with lay prestige where she can not do much and get a degree.
its still georgetown.... its not like shes going to ye old middle of nowhere sticksville law school

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

are you and tiffany close friends? if so, please tell her to join the fb group.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

how do you know this? I can't imagine it is that much easier to graduate below median without being forced out at GULC than it is as Columbia, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

how do you know this? I can't imagine it is that much easier to graduate below median without being forced out at GULC than it is as Columbia, right?
GULC's curve is about 30% each A/A-, B+, and B, with the rest getting B- to C. I think the minimum GPA to graduate is a 2.0 (C average).

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon May 08, 2017 3:45 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/tiffany- ... aw-school/

ATL Milking this situation complete with a "make Georgetown great again"

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

GULC's curve is about 30% each A/A-, B+, and B, with the rest getting B- to C. I think the minimum GPA to graduate is a 2.0 (C average).
What point are you making here?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon May 08, 2017 3:52 pm

guybourdin wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
This.

That's a high Median and pretty much impossible to forcibly fail out of?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 08, 2017 3:57 pm

guybourdin wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
guybourdin wrote: I can't imagine it is that much easier to graduate below median without being forced out at GULC than it is as Columbia, right?
In context to the question I asked that they were responding to: how is that different than any other top school? none of the t13 require failing grades be given out, right?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon May 08, 2017 4:33 pm

guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
guybourdin wrote: I can't imagine it is that much easier to graduate below median without being forced out at GULC than it is as Columbia, right?
In context to the question I asked that they were responding to: how is that different than any other top school? none of the t13 require failing grades be given out, right?
I mean, my point was mostly related to size/lay prestige. As far as failing goes yeah, it's pretty difficult to be forcibly removed from any of the top schools that weight to above a 3.0 (though TBF that is the highest weight I have ever seen), but I would imagine it would be harder logistically to go through three years of NYU law as the presidents daughter, where as a school with +1K students you could probably be more of a face in the crowd.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon May 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Choosing one of the largest law schools in the country doesn't make the increased security from the Secret Service any easier. I doubt they will do actual mags though. They will probably just have plain clothes agents sitting in the class, and one outside each door checking for people coming in.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

StopLawying wrote:.
On the laptop discussion, I think the biggest considerations are keyboard size, screen type, battery life, and SSD. Personally, I think an SSD with remote backup is a godsend. It's much faster and the disks have much lower fail rates from mishandling (a SSD cannot scratch), but the failures can be more catastrophic AFAIK (hence the importance of a backup). Otherwise, make sure it is a screen you can look at a lot (I prefer matte to glossy) and a keyboard you can type well on (for me, this means a full-sized keyboard).

For PCs, I love Asus. They are the closest you get to the Mac aesthetic without getting a mac. Zenbooks are, generally, a good value for their higher end machines. As a former and occasional laptop gamer, the high-end Zenbooks are probably the most professional looking gaming capable machine you can buy (if that is your cup of tea or you are too used to the speed of similar machines.)

Next machine I get will be a new Asus Zenbook, Surface Book (probably not, expensive novelty), or Macbook Pro.

Ultimately, SSD, form factor, and screen/keyboard should guide your choice, IMO. I wouldn't get an entry level Mac... they are abysmally and intolerably slow, IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 pm

34iplaw wrote:On the laptop discussion, I think the biggest considerations (provided you aren't using it for gaming and such) are keyboard size, screen type, battery life, and SSD. Personally, I think an SSD with remote backup is a godsend. It's much faster and the disks have much lower fail rates from mishandling (a SSD cannot scratch), but the failures can be more catastrophic AFAIK (hence the importance of a backup). Otherwise, make sure it is a screen you can look at a lot (I prefer matte to glossy) and a keyboard you can type well on (for me, this means a full-sized keyboard).

For PCs, I love Asus. They are the closest you get to the Mac aesthetic without getting a mac. Zenbooks are, generally, a good value for their higher end machines. As a former and occasional laptop gamer, the high-end Zenbooks are probably the most professional looking gaming capable machine you can buy (if that is your cup of tea or you are too used to the speed of similar machines.)

Next machine I get will be an Asus, Surface Book, or Mac... I want to learn xcode, and I get kind of annoyed by slower machines which knocks out entry level macs.
+1 for ASUS. Have the Zenbook UX501 and it is amazing. I'm a casual gamer and it handles most run-of-the-mill new games very well. Cheaper than (and much better than) a Macbook too.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 6:13 pm

poptart123 wrote: +1 for ASUS. Have the Zenbook UX501 and it is amazing. I'm a casual gamer and it handles most run-of-the-mill new games very well. Cheaper than (and much better than) a Macbook too.
I got my current laptop ( Asus Zenbook Prime UX51VZ-DH71 ) just a touch over four years ago ( when I still played games ) for $1600 which is insanely long for the amount of use I put on my laptops. It has worked perfectly and still does (I had to replace the power port once and it runs a little warm) and, while you can't go strictly by numbers, it is still fairly comparable to most machines.

I'll probably go to Mac just for the added benefit of being able to use Xcode because otherwise, I'm going to be spending a lot of money strictly on a marginally faster machine.

All that said, Asus is a great bet for a sleek professional and powerful Windows device. The Zenbook 3s look really interesting, but I've never used one so I can't really advocate for it.

Anywho! I'm glad to answer any questions anyone may have on laptops.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 pm

34iplaw wrote:
I was considering an ASUS for law school for basically the reasons you mentioned but I'm not sure which model to go with. Which ASUS laptop would you recommend? The Zenbook 3 looks good but I believe they only have one USB port and the headphone jack. I guess that's all I would really need but I'm not sure.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon May 08, 2017 6:38 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
I was considering an ASUS for law school for basically the reasons you mentioned but I'm not sure which model to go with. Which ASUS laptop would you recommend? The Zenbook 3 looks good but I believe they only have one USB port and the headphone jack. I guess that's all I would really need but I'm not sure.
I think the Zenbook 3 has two USB-C ports, but I believe it uses one of those two ports to charge. This seems to be the trend with high-end USB-C compatible devices until USB-C becomes cheaper / takes up less real estate.

I'll take a look at the current models, but I think the most important thing is to try any laptop in-person. You should try typing a paragraph or two as you would at a lecture. I think that's going to be far more important than any specific specs of the laptop. For me, I need a full sized keyboard with keys that have a decent travel distance otherwise I end up making a lot of typos. I have yet to actually see a Zenbook 3, but I am a fine of the prime series.

I'll actually add that laptop chargers that use a central pin to plug into kind of suck and are susceptible to breaking. That's my one gripe about my current laptop (changed to a different type of plug), but it's something to look out for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”