TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Dumb question from someone extremely unfamiliar with how financial aid works -

In terms of FAFSA, does your loan amount change from school to school? I have my scholarship info from my top choice but I haven't heard anything regarding available loans. Other schools have given me loan info and they're all offering the same amount. Should I expect that across the board? Also, how do I say I want to take out loan loans/specify how much I want? Will they send me a form or something at some point?
It's my understanding that it changes based on the school's COA and your scholarship amount. So let's say COA is 85k, you get a full tuition scholarship of 65k then they should give you a loan for 20k for COL. Meanwhile at a school that gave you 30k at the same COA they should give you 55k. And I believe the loan applications open up later, the schools themselves should notify you at that time

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:Dumb question from someone extremely unfamiliar with how financial aid works -

In terms of FAFSA, does your loan amount change from school to school? I have my scholarship info from my top choice but I haven't heard anything regarding available loans. Other schools have given me loan info and they're all offering the same amount. Should I expect that across the board? Also, how do I say I want to take out loan loans/specify how much I want? Will they send me a form or something at some point?
It's my understanding that it changes based on the school's COA and your scholarship amount. So let's say COA is 85k, you get a full tuition scholarship of 65k then they should give you a loan for 20k for COL. Meanwhile at a school that gave you 30k at the same COA they should give you 55k. And I believe the loan applications open up later, the schools themselves should notify you at that time
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thank you!!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm

How important do you guys think it is to have a linked in? Thinking of doing mine before law school starts so I don't have to deal with it later.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How important do you guys think it is to have a linked in? Thinking of doing mine before law school starts so I don't have to deal with it later.
You should just get it done now. You'll be glad you did once you're under the workload deluge and beginning to get ready for interviews and whatnot. From everything I've read, the job hunt begins before you can catch your breath after finals. And that's before taking into account the networking you can do during first semester.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How important do you guys think it is to have a linked in? Thinking of doing mine before law school starts so I don't have to deal with it later.
linkedin is probably pretty important and you should make one now, but update it before you start interviews. Coming from a different profession but still corporate, anytime we got a candidate we would look at their linkedin

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
You should just get it done now. You'll be glad you did once you're under the workload deluge and beginning to get ready for interviews and whatnot. From everything I've read, the job hunt begins before you can catch your breath after finals. And that's before taking into account the networking you can do during first semester.
Thanks! I'll definitely get on it. Hopefully I can find some guides online for the best way to do it. I remember my UG career services put a lot of importance on it.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
linkedin is probably pretty important and you should make one now, but update it before you start interviews. Coming from a different profession but still corporate, anytime we got a candidate we would look at their linkedin

Thank you! Any advice I should keep in mind when fleshing it out?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Fwiw, my husband (who works in a corporate field but not legal-related) is obsessed with LinkedIn (apparently he's almost at 500 connections now) and actually got his current job because someone found him there and reached out to him. So I can sell you the LinkedIn gospel all you want :lol:

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

Thank you! Any advice I should keep in mind when fleshing it out?
One thing, and maybe take it with a grain of salt, is that we never looked long at an applicant. It probably doesn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary to make a long/witty intro, relevant course work, or any of the other fluff. Also a professional photo is a big plus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Thanks! I'll definitely get on it. Hopefully I can find some guides online for the best way to do it. I remember my UG career services put a lot of importance on it.
No problem. If I was in your shoes, I'd just put "Columbia C/O 2020" on my page and watch the job offers flow in. :P

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:Fwiw, my husband (who works in a corporate field but not legal-related) is obsessed with LinkedIn (apparently he's almost at 500 connections now) and actually got his current job because someone found him there and reached out to him. So I can sell you the LinkedIn gospel all you want :lol:
That's beautiful. I made one freshmen year of college but never updated it lol.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

45 to give commencement at Liberty Univ.

Fitting!

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Everything has only gone downhill since the LSAT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:39 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:45 to give commencement at Liberty Univ.

Fitting!
Ugh wtf ugh

That's all I can say about that

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

I have a LinkedIn profile, but it has been set to private for a while. I feel like its just another way to have your personal information mined and another way for potential employers to find faults to criticize.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 am

Re: More Life -

The magnitude of J.Lo's legacy? Defined as "Teenage Fever" would have sucked if Drake hadn't sampled "If You Had My Love"

Dare you to disagree!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am

airwrecka wrote:Fwiw, my husband (who works in a corporate field but not legal-related) is obsessed with LinkedIn (apparently he's almost at 500 connections now) and actually got his current job because someone found him there and reached out to him. So I can sell you the LinkedIn gospel all you want :lol:
+1 for getting their current job through linkedin. that free trial for premium was 180

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 am

LinkedIn is nbd and will not help you land an SA nor a job via OCI. I'd say it's just a more professional FB. Nothing special unless you're looking for a non-legal job.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Re: More Life -

The magnitude of J.Lo's legacy? Defined as "Teenage Fever" would have sucked if Drake hadn't sampled "If You Had My Love"

Dare you to disagree!
Paradoxically, it was the best work on the playlist, but it definitely had no legs without J.Lo

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 am

Linked in is great, hell, it even is a quick way to help me remember things i did i forgot about lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 am

Linkedin is important no matter the profession, folks. After all, it is one of the few remaining forms of social media that hasn't been corrupted by trolls. A couple of pro tips from someone that has been in charge of hiring interns at my job for 5 years:

- Make your profile public so you can see who is viewing it and they can see who you're viewing.
- Always view the profile of the person you're in contact with when applying/interviewing for a job. It is a good way to show them you're researching the company.
- Connect with anyone that is even remotely interesting to you, even if they are complete strangers. There is no downside, and the bigger network you have the better chance someone will notice you. A lot of times people will choose interviews based on mutual connections.
- Be professional at all times!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:it definitely had no legs without J.Lo
you get me.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am

RParadela