TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

chargers21

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (politics pole)

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Speaking of Lockean views of government, any atheists here who take a lockean view of nature (and by extension of government?)

I'm only agnostic and I can't imagine anything shot of the super-natural keeping people peaceful the way he describes.

E: Also, anyone here take a non hobbes/Locke view of nature? I don't think I've ever met someone who was say Montesquieuan
I haven't extensively read any of Locke's work, could you summarize the Lockean view of nature?
From what I remember (someone who follows Locke will have a better understanding); absent any groups or "proto-governments" people

"order their actions, and dispose of their possessions and persons, as they think fit, within the bounds of the law of nature."

He goes on to say that reason is the law of nature and what binds humans together. When written it was deeply rooted in English Christianity and as I learned it, reason was imbued in all of us through God.

It's the most popular libertarian view on the state of nature, because in holds that Governments are not very necessary and that human beings will naturally trend towards peaceful coexistence
Oh, well then I most certainly do not subscribe to that. I think govenment is required in some form, and that human nature is largely animalistic nature. Our actions are the result of chemicals and environment type of thing. It is amazing that humans have evolved to the point of something that almost resembles actual free will, though. Truly amazing.
I think it's more subtle than I explained it, I'm not totally certain which is why I want to speak to someone who subscribes to it. It does however sound like given zero laws Locke holds that people would naturally co-habitate and that any violation of the peace would be snuffed out without issue

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I need to get my brother in on this thread! His favorite pastime (I kid you not) is "philosophizing" with people. But I haven't read very much philosophy myself, so I'm not a great participant :(

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Now that I think about it, can anyone point to examples of a post WW2 super power's military successfully defeating a large scale insurgency/winning a war of attrition? Only one that comes to mind is Russia essentially leveling Chechnya, but maybe there are others?
Sri Lanka and Tamils

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm on the last season of The Wire and I'm like why did they end this after only 5 seasons? :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Rigo wrote:I'm on the last season of The Wire and I'm like why did they end this after only 5 seasons? :(
Enjoying it so far? I know it gets slagged a bit but I thought it was pretty good, even if it was a little too bleak at times.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Rigo wrote:I'm on the last season of The Wire and I'm like why did they end this after only 5 seasons? :(
Enjoying it so far? I know it gets slagged a bit but I thought it was pretty good, even if it was a little too bleak at times.
Loved it so far.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Need a new show.

Can be on netflix, amazon, Hulu, or HBO.

Preferably one that can be binged but isn't dated.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Need a new show.

OA - netflix

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Great British Baking Show!! :D :D :D haha, although I told my boss (30 year old male) to watch it and he scoffed at me :cry:

I've heard great things about Man in the High Castle on Amazon, but have only seen part of the first episode myself.

And my guilty pleasure that ALWAYS makes me laugh out loud is Mindy Project :lol:

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

All roads lead to Fargo. It's on Hulu now I think.

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Girl Boss on Netflix is actually pretty awesome. Just binged it.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

I really enjoyed Narcos. If you haven't seen "The night of" go watch that now, it is fantastic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Mr. Robot, Game of Thrones, and Westworld are the best 3 shows on television. Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Pretty Little Liars.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm

chargers21 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Speaking of Lockean views of government, any atheists here who take a lockean view of nature (and by extension of government?)

I'm only agnostic and I can't imagine anything shot of the super-natural keeping people peaceful the way he describes.

E: Also, anyone here take a non hobbes/Locke view of nature? I don't think I've ever met someone who was say Montesquieuan
I haven't extensively read any of Locke's work, could you summarize the Lockean view of nature?
From what I remember (someone who follows Locke will have a better understanding); absent any groups or "proto-governments" people

"order their actions, and dispose of their possessions and persons, as they think fit, within the bounds of the law of nature."

He goes on to say that reason is the law of nature and what binds humans together. When written it was deeply rooted in English Christianity and as I learned it, reason was imbued in all of us through God.

It's the most popular libertarian view on the state of nature, because in holds that Governments are not very necessary and that human beings will naturally trend towards peaceful coexistence
Oh, well then I most certainly do not subscribe to that. I think govenment is required in some form, and that human nature is largely animalistic nature. Our actions are the result of chemicals and environment type of thing. It is amazing that humans have evolved to the point of something that almost resembles actual free will, though. Truly amazing.
Your view of the state of nature is more similar to that of Thomas Hobbes.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

chargers21 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

I think it's more subtle than I explained it, I'm not totally certain which is why I want to speak to someone who subscribes to it. It does however sound like given zero laws Locke holds that people would naturally co-habitate and that any violation of the peace would be snuffed out without issue
For the most part but Locke recognizes that there are some humans that will not co-habitate peacefully and thus we form governments to protect our natural rights: life, liberty, and property.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm

RParadela wrote:Mr. Robot, Game of Thrones, and Westworld are the best 3 shows on television. Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing
I really need to commit myself to binging GOT this summer

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:21 pm

For anybody curious about Locke or many other philosophers/artists/historic figures/etc this series is enjoyable and a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZiWZJgJT7I

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 pm

RParadela wrote:Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing
Season 1 was sooooo good, made Season 2 that much more painful.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 pm

the sun hasn't shined in three days and now I'm thankful I'm not going to Cornell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

proteinshake wrote:the sun hasn't shined in three days and now I'm thankful I'm not going to Cornell.
Ugh same... http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... se-it-did/

"It would take about 40 years for that much rain to fall in Yuma, Ariz., the weather service’s Seattle office noted on Twitter."

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:48 pm

I love the pnw but I'm skeptical if I could actually live there long term and not go crazy in the winter.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:25 pm

RParadela wrote:Mr. Robot, Game of Thrones, and Westworld are the best 3 shows on television. Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing
I think we're the same person. I can't recommend these 4 shows enough.

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
RParadela wrote:Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing
Season 1 was sooooo good, made Season 2 that much more painful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”