Hastings C/O 2019 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CAgirl123

New

Re: Hastings C/O 2019 Applicants

Postby CAgirl123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:08 am

benjaye wrote:I'm not sure if they've gone into WL review but has anyone successfully been admitted from the WL with an LOCI and a campus visit? I'm contemplating taking a day trip to the Bay Area to visit Hastings.

It couldn't hurt! Especially if Hastings' WL isn't numerical. I've been waitlisted at another school and when I called their admissions office, I was told that it's not a numerical WL so getting selected off the WL depends on visiting the school, and a strong LOCI.

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:55 pm

benjaye wrote:I'm not sure if they've gone into WL review but has anyone successfully been admitted from the WL with an LOCI and a campus visit? I'm contemplating taking a day trip to the Bay Area to visit Hastings.

Their first deposit deadline is today so I highly doubt they would've started to look at the WL, but we should see some movement very soon. I would definitely recommend a visit! Sit in on a class while you're there - I visited Rappaport's Crim Law class and it was really interesting.

CAgirl123

New

Postby CAgirl123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:52 pm

CAgirl123 wrote:
benjaye wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
mr. nj wrote:What time were you notified and when did you submit? I'm still awaiting my decision.

Congrats to everyone who got in today. I got nothing in my inbox, but I checked my status and it said "decision rendered" which probably means denied since I didn't hear from them. Good luck to all those waiting

Check your spam box! A lot of applicants had their decisions sent into the spam folder.

Ah I did :/ nada! I'll call up the office tomorrow and see what's up. Could be one heck of an awkward phone call or not

Spoke way too soon.... I got in! Called the office and they said they're not sure why I didn't receive an email. Not sure about financial aid yet. Good luck to everyone waiting!!!!!

mr. nj

New

Postby mr. nj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 pm

I may be the only person waiting to hear back, been in review since feb. 10:(

middleastpeace

New

Postby middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:41 pm

CAgirl123 wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
benjaye wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
mr. nj wrote:What time were you notified and when did you submit? I'm still awaiting my decision.

Congrats to everyone who got in today. I got nothing in my inbox, but I checked my status and it said "decision rendered" which probably means denied since I didn't hear from them. Good luck to all those waiting

Check your spam box! A lot of applicants had their decisions sent into the spam folder.

Ah I did :/ nada! I'll call up the office tomorrow and see what's up. Could be one heck of an awkward phone call or not

Spoke way too soon.... I got in! Called the office and they said they're not sure why I didn't receive an email. Not sure about financial aid yet. Good luck to everyone waiting!!!!!

CONGRATS CALGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You effin deserve it

FOBsoFLY

New

Postby FOBsoFLY » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:49 am

Withdrew yesterday with $. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

CAgirl123

New

Postby CAgirl123 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone is considering housing by the school. McAllister Tower seems like it's got an extremely limited number of units and I've left several messages and emails to no avail. Wondering if I should start looking elsewhere. Thoughts?

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:25 pm

CAgirl123 wrote:Hey all, just wondering if anyone is considering housing by the school. McAllister Tower seems like it's got an extremely limited number of units and I've left several messages and emails to no avail. Wondering if I should start looking elsewhere. Thoughts?

Not sure where you're living currently, but I would recommend exploring all options as soon as possible since housing is such a nightmare in the city. It could easily take a few months to find something and I would not count on getting into the tower (though I'm not applying so I can't be sure, just assuming it's highly competitive since the rent is basically half of what you'd pay anywhere else in the city for a comparable unit).

CAgirl123

New

Postby CAgirl123 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:49 pm

capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:Hey all, just wondering if anyone is considering housing by the school. McAllister Tower seems like it's got an extremely limited number of units and I've left several messages and emails to no avail. Wondering if I should start looking elsewhere. Thoughts?

Not sure where you're living currently, but I would recommend exploring all options as soon as possible since housing is such a nightmare in the city. It could easily take a few months to find something and I would not count on getting into the tower (though I'm not applying so I can't be sure, just assuming it's highly competitive since the rent is basically half of what you'd pay anywhere else in the city for a comparable unit).

I can only imagine! I currently live just on the other side of the bridge, in Oakland. SF rent is out of control so that's why I thought the towers would be a better option. I was heavily considering just commuting since I'm a short Bart ride away, but something tells me I'd be shooting myself in the foot by living away since almost everyone stays on campus during 1L. What are your thoughts? I'm kinda nervous about this whole living situation! Anyone else, feel free to chime in with your housing plans for the upcoming fall.

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:12 pm

CAgirl123 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:

I can only imagine! I currently live just on the other side of the bridge, in Oakland. SF rent is out of control so that's why I thought the towers would be a better option. I was heavily considering just commuting since I'm a short Bart ride away, but something tells me I'd be shooting myself in the foot by living away since almost everyone stays on campus during 1L. What are your thoughts? I'm kinda nervous about this whole living situation! Anyone else, feel free to chime in with your housing plans for the upcoming fall.

I'm in Oakland too! Howdy, neighbor!

Definitely planning to commute (assuming I get off the WL) since it's what I'm used to and my place is laughably cheap and rent-controlled currently. I expect to put in pretty long days though, and still do most of my studying on campus since I don't really have the space at home for a proper desk and there are too many distractions.

lordmac69

New

Postby lordmac69 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm

capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:

Definitely planning to commute (assuming I get off the WL) since it's what I'm used to and my place is laughably cheap and rent-controlled currently. I expect to put in pretty long days though, and still do most of my studying on campus since I don't really have the space at home for a proper desk and there are too many distractions.

For you Oakland dwellers, may I ask which areas of Oakland you would recommend for housing? I'll be moving up from LA and a cursory search at apartments in the city on Craigslist has really freaked me out, price-wise. Are there other sites you're using besides Craigslist? Should I start looking now? Thanks!

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm

lordmac69 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:

For you Oakland dwellers, may I ask which areas of Oakland you would recommend for housing? I'll be moving up from LA and a cursory search at apartments in the city on Craigslist has really freaked me out, price-wise. Are there other sites you're using besides Craigslist? Should I start looking now? Thanks!

It's tough because so many people have been pushed out here from SF in the past few years that we are definitely starting to feel the crunch too. I'm in East Oakland (Fruitvale/Laurel area) where things are still a bit more affordable because the wave of gentrification hasn't hit with full force yet (though trust me, it's starting). As a student, you probably won't be able to/would be wasting your money to live in areas like North Oakland, Temescal, Lake Merritt, or Rockridge. If you have a car, the area around Mills College is nice, fairly peaceful, and on the cheaper side, but not as convenient to bart.

The bottom line is that most people live with significant others or roommates in this area (as I'm sure is also the case in LA). I would recommend starting your search now and talking to other admitted students to try and find one or two other people to look with.

lordmac69

New

Postby lordmac69 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:32 pm

capricasixx wrote:
lordmac69 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
It's tough because so many people have been pushed out here from SF in the past few years that we are definitely starting to feel the crunch too. I'm in East Oakland (Fruitvale/Laurel area) where things are still a bit more affordable because the wave of gentrification hasn't hit with full force yet (though trust me, it's starting). As a student, you probably won't be able to/would be wasting your money to live in areas like North Oakland, Temescal, Lake Merritt, or Rockridge. If you have a car, the area around Mills College is nice, fairly peaceful, and on the cheaper side, but not as convenient to bart.

The bottom line is that most people live with significant others or roommates in this area (as I'm sure is also the case in LA). I would recommend starting your search now and talking to other admitted students to try and find one or two other people to look with.

Thanks for the tips - I'm married so I'll be moving up with my spouse. How long would the commute be by car from the Mills College area to Hastings, factoring in traffic?

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 pm

lordmac69 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
lordmac69 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:
capricasixx wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:

Thanks for the tips - I'm married so I'll be moving up with my spouse. How long would the commute be by car from the Mills College area to Hastings, factoring in traffic?

Traffic is never too bad on the Oakland side of things, it's mainly the bridge/downtown SF you have to worry about, and of course timing makes a big difference. I'm just a few miles north of Mills and I typically leave for work at 6:15 to get there around 7, but things pick up around 6:30 to about 9 and it can take well over an hour. My office is about a mile from the Hastings campus so it should be roughly equivalent.

marz

New

Postby marz » Fri May 13, 2016 12:12 pm

has anyone gotten the follow-up email about the waitlist?

camindersons

New

Postby camindersons » Fri May 13, 2016 5:18 pm

marz wrote:has anyone gotten the follow-up email about the waitlist?

Nope. Long time lurker, first time poster. I was just wondering the same thing.

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 pm

I really hope they start making calls soon. Two more weeks before second deposits are due at my backup schools and I would really like to save some money... Just sent a second LOCI!

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Fri May 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Just got the waitlist update email!

"I am writing with an update on the status of the waitlist at UC Hastings.

It is still too early to tell whether we will be making any offers of admission to students on the waitlist. Please fill out this brief online form by 5:00 pm on Monday, May 23, 2016 to indicate your preference for remaining on the waitlist or withdrawing your application. Please fill out the form even if you have already sent in a letter of continued interest or been in recent communication with the Admissions Office.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter."

Trying not to get my hopes up. Did everyone get this?

marz

New

Postby marz » Fri May 20, 2016 6:19 pm

capricasixx wrote:Just got the waitlist update email!

It is still too early to tell whether we will be making any offers of admission to students on the waitlist. Please fill out this brief online form by 5:00 pm on Monday, May 23, 2016 to indicate your preference for remaining on the waitlist or withdrawing your application. Please fill out the form even if you have already sent in a letter of continued interest or been in recent communication with the Admissions Office.

I got it also! Seems like we're going to be waiting for a while...

benjaye

New

Postby benjaye » Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 pm

marz wrote:

+1 -- Also, did you all receive a blank email as the survey confirmation?

camindersons

New

Postby camindersons » Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 am

benjaye wrote:
marz wrote:

Yup! Seemed like just a standardized email sent by the online service they used saying it was received.

capricasixx

Silver

Postby capricasixx » Mon May 23, 2016 1:34 pm

camindersons wrote:
benjaye wrote:
marz wrote:

Yup! Seemed like just a standardized email sent by the online service they used saying it was received.

My survey confirmation said "thanks for RSVPing to admitted students day" but I'm 100% sure they just reused an old form and must've fixed it shortly thereafter

legallybrunette94

New

Postby legallybrunette94 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Withdrew my spot on the waitlist yesterday. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

sometime82

New

Postby sometime82 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:07 am

any movement here ? anyone withdrawing ?

LaRetaguardia

New

Postby LaRetaguardia » Wed May 25, 2016 3:54 pm

sometime82 wrote:any movement here ? anyone withdrawing ?

Just got in off the waitlist at another school, so withdrew my seat and hefty scholarship... good luck waitlisters! Good things do happen!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?