University of Houston Law Center c/o 2019 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Re: University of Houston Law Center c/o 2019 Applicants

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:58 am

Tiny123 wrote:
viz-luv wrote:Current 3l also happy to discuss UH. (And if any currently attending students checking in ever want to talk about finals or classes feel free!)
This might be random but what is the employment outcome for international students from UH? I dont exactly want big law but i heard this is the only option for international students.

Thanks
As an INt'l student, I'm Interested in this as well. Can someone chime in?

Happy new year everyone. On a side note, do any current students know if UH is going to be impacted by the new Open carry and campus carry laws that went into effect in Texas a few days ago?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Last edited by poptart123 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:48 pm

We won't know where it isn't allowed until they come out with the plan for UH.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:
Tiny123 wrote:
viz-luv wrote:Current 3l also happy to discuss UH. (And if any currently attending students checking in ever want to talk about finals or classes feel free!)
This might be random but what is the employment outcome for international students from UH? I dont exactly want big law but i heard this is the only option for international students.

Thanks

Happy new year everyone. On a side note, do any current students know if UH is going to be impacted by the new Open carry and campus carry laws that went into effect in Texas a few days ago?
As a student who has met with the UT-System Chancellor about these issues, yes it will. All public institutions in Texas will be required to allow open carry in most areas. Exceptions are medical schools, medical facilities, childcare areas, and things of that nature. Classrooms, hallways, vehicles, etc. are all fair game.
I thought that universities could decide to opt out?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:
Tiny123 wrote:

Thanks

As a student who has met with the UT-System Chancellor about these issues, yes it will. All public institutions in Texas will be required to allow open carry in most areas. Exceptions are medical schools, medical facilities, childcare areas, and things of that nature. Classrooms, hallways, vehicles, etc. are all fair game.
Only private institutions
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote: I thought that universities could decide to opt out?
As ITFR says, only privates can opt out. Public universities can designate certain types of areas as gun-free zones.

Here's UT's task force report. https://campuscarry.utexas.edu/
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:03 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:
Tiny123 wrote:

Thanks

Only private institutions
As a current student, can you speak to the situation on the UH campus? Is there a lot of fear and/or apprehension among students and professors? For example, I read in the news that a professor at UT Austin quit because he was a afraid that a student would shoot him for grading a paper as a C.

As someone who comes from a country with strict gun laws, I am concerned about how this new law will affect me in the USA.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:40 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:
As a current student, can you speak to the situation on the UH campus? Is there a lot of fear and/or apprehension among students and professors? For example, I read in the news that a professor at UT Austin quit because he was a afraid that a student would shoot him for grading a paper as a C.

As someone who comes from a country with strict gun laws, I am concerned about how this new law will affect me in the USA.
I'll begin this by letting you know that I have my CHL (concealed handgun license) and am very pro-concealed carry.

I went to one of the open forums they held to discuss the issue and there were many students and teachers that spoke against allowing CC anywhere. Specifically they did not want it in there classrooms and/or offices.

As someone who has done a lot of research on the issue and carries regularly, I can tell you that the actual act of people carrying on campus will not affect you in the slightest. CHL holders are a remarkably low-crime group. And you will likely never know if someone is carrying a firearm. I guess you will probably be aware of the areas where CHL holders can and cannot carry and you will probably notice whatever stations PD sets up for people to store their firearms. Other than that it should have no affect. Knowing that people could be carrying around you may affect you I guess, but no more than knowing people at the grocery store are carrying should.

I have been around firearms since I was young and have competed in several different types of shooting competitions. I practice with my firearm regularly and am comfortable with it while also knowing that it is a potentially deadly weapon. I can tell you that my firearm will never leave it's holster in public unless I am being actively pursued or attacked and even then it will not leave its holster until I have first attempted to flee my attacker. I have never met another CHL holder that does not feel the same way for the most part. I also have never met another CHL holder that would even dream of using their firearm to threaten a professor or would even think of unholstering their weapon during a heated class discussion.

Of course, feel free to continue to ask me any questions you may have. I am from out-of-state and was considering UT and UH in TX and am very happy that I went with UH. My professors are amazing, my career resource officer is super helpful and I am very glad I chose UH. Sorry for the long-winded answer.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:44 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:

I'll begin this by letting you know that I have my CHL (concealed handgun license) and am very pro-concealed carry.

I went to one of the open forums they held to discuss the issue and there were many students and teachers that spoke against allowing CC anywhere. Specifically they did not want it in there classrooms and/or offices.

As someone who has done a lot of research on the issue and carries regularly, I can tell you that the actual act of people carrying on campus will not affect you in the slightest. CHL holders are a remarkably low-crime group. And you will likely never know if someone is carrying a firearm. I guess you will probably be aware of the areas where CHL holders can and cannot carry and you will probably notice whatever stations PD sets up for people to store their firearms. Other than that it should have no affect. Knowing that people could be carrying around you may affect you I guess, but no more than knowing people at the grocery store are carrying should.

I have been around firearms since I was young and have competed in several different types of shooting competitions. I practice with my firearm regularly and am comfortable with it while also knowing that it is a potentially deadly weapon. I can tell you that my firearm will never leave it's holster in public unless I am being actively pursued or attacked and even then it will not leave its holster until I have first attempted to flee my attacker. I have never met another CHL holder that does not feel the same way for the most part. I also have never met another CHL holder that would even dream of using their firearm to threaten a professor or would even think of unholstering their weapon during a heated class discussion.

Of course, feel free to continue to ask me any questions you may have. I am from out-of-state and was considering UT and UH in TX and am very happy that I went with UH. My professors are amazing, my career resource officer is super helpful and I am very glad I chose UH. Sorry for the long-winded answer.
That is a very good answer for the pro-campus carry side. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

formulaencore

New

Post by formulaencore » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Anyone hear anything on scholarship information yet? :\

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:55 pm

formulaencore wrote:Anyone hear anything on scholarship information yet? :\
Got some scholarship info in an e-mail from dean Dillon. Two sort of separate scholarships/discounts totalling approx. 20k per year.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 pm

I got an email today from Dean Dillon about a Dean's scholarship for $20,000 a year, which is funny to me because I didn't even know I got into the school yet.

engineer2law

New

Post by engineer2law » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:58 am

Accepted yesterday via email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 am

engineer2law wrote:Accepted yesterday via email.
Congrats!! When did you go UR2? When did you apply?

engineer2law

New

Post by engineer2law » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:55 am

Echoduck wrote:

Thanks! I applied on 10/24 and went under review not long after that.

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:01 am

engineer2law wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Cool thanks!. I applied 10/01 and am anxiously awaiting a decision.

engineer2law

New

Post by engineer2law » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Echoduck wrote:
engineer2law wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Cool thanks!. I applied 10/01 and am anxiously awaiting a decision.
No problem. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

txado

New

Post by txado » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:03 am

Waitlisted today. Applied ED. UR2 12/10. GPA: at 75% LSAT: slightly below 25%

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I withdrew my acceptance and scholarship offer today because I decided to take UH off of my list. I hope this opens up a spot for someone else! Trying to put some good karma out there. Best of luck to all this cycle!

polinter

New

Post by polinter » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 pm

My status date changed to today 1/19/16 but still says File in Review

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm

polinter wrote:My status date changed to today 1/19/16 but still says File in Review

So does mine! This is UR3 for me, what about you? I was UR2 on 12/17.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

polinter

New

Post by polinter » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Echoduck wrote:
polinter wrote:My status date changed to today 1/19/16 but still says File in Review

Yes, I'm UR3 as well

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:12 pm

polinter wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Yes, I'm UR3 as well
I hope it brings good news or news soon.

polinter

New

Post by polinter » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Echoduck wrote:
polinter wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Yes, I'm UR3 as well
Same here, good luck!

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm

polinter wrote:
Echoduck wrote:
polinter wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Yes, I'm UR3 as well
Same here, good luck!
You too!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”