University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How high is UW Law on your hype list?

No question UW Law is the place for me!
14
18%
It's up there, but I have a few competitors.
22
28%
It's all about the scholly.
19
24%
Middle of the road.
6
8%
Safety, not very interested.
14
18%
I just applied for fun.
4
5%
 
Total votes: 79

RacheterRaptor

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby RacheterRaptor » Sun May 08, 2016 11:38 am

Didn't apply to those schools, definitely not the same person...

Slipinandslidin wrote:
RacheterRaptor wrote:I was one of those $0 scholarship folks round 1. I sent an email to Dean Li expressing my desire to go to UW and the fact that, with their tuition and cost of living (I'm out of state), I just couldn't go without any money.

I ended up getting $20,000/year ($60,000 total) scholarship offer a few days before the 15th. While it was a very generous offer, my total out-of-pocket was still higher at UW than other schools. I replied saying as much, but was told that they just can't compete with offers from other schools because they don't have enough money.

I withdrew a few days ago. It was also a difficult decision for me, but UW was still significantly more expensive, to the point that when looking at how much student loan payments after graduation might be, it would have been near unmanageable. So I suppose the moral is don't lose hope if you strike out round one, but also don't bet you'll be able to get anything nearly as good as you could from a peer (or even better) school. I did really want to go to UW, but not that much.


If you're the same "raptor" I'm seeing on LSN, why would you be so serious about UW anyway when you're accepted to UT, Vanderbilt & USC with scholly?

keezmasterflex

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby keezmasterflex » Tue May 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Does anyone know if I were to defer, would I be able to keep the scholarship I was offered (gregoire)?


I am considering becoming a resident to cheapen the price.

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby mcmand » Tue May 10, 2016 6:39 pm

...
Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keezmasterflex

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby keezmasterflex » Thu May 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Not deferring. See y'all at the July mixer...Anyone interested in renting a house?

sometime82

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:13 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby sometime82 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am

whats the WL hope %?

dmgnwk

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby dmgnwk » Wed May 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby mcmand » Wed May 25, 2016 3:20 pm

...
Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idontwannaausername

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby idontwannaausername » Sun May 29, 2016 1:37 am

mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...

JonTheMandamus

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby JonTheMandamus » Sun May 29, 2016 3:17 am

idontwannaausername wrote:
mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...


I think you misinterpreted the information mcmand was providing applicants on this thread. The ambassadors are being asked to reach out to those already admitted off the shortlist, not to reach out to those still on it. He is simply answering a question that was posted. Why is that creepy?

idontwannaausername

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby idontwannaausername » Sun May 29, 2016 3:14 pm

JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...


I think you misinterpreted the information mcmand was providing applicants on this thread. The ambassadors are being asked to reach out to those already admitted off the shortlist, not to reach out to those still on it. He is simply answering a question that was posted. Why is that creepy?


Huh? Not really sure what you're trying to say, but I just don't understand why they reach out here anonymously on an anonymous board to people with unknown circumstances. Why not just follow up with the specific people who are on the shortlist or have been admitted off of it??? Seems like they can pretty easily get the information from admissions on those specific individuals.

JonTheMandamus

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby JonTheMandamus » Sun May 29, 2016 7:27 pm

idontwannaausername wrote:
JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...


I think you misinterpreted the information mcmand was providing applicants on this thread. The ambassadors are being asked to reach out to those already admitted off the shortlist, not to reach out to those still on it. He is simply answering a question that was posted. Why is that creepy?


Huh? Not really sure what you're trying to say, but I just don't understand why they reach out here anonymously on an anonymous board to people with unknown circumstances. Why not just follow up with the specific people who are on the shortlist or have been admitted off of it??? Seems like they can pretty easily get the information from admissions on those specific individuals.


To clarify, I do not think he is posting on TLS as part of his role as an ambassador. He was being nice and simply answering another poster's question, while establishing in the thread who he is, so as to distinguish from being a random 0L passing along rumors.

redtalun

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby redtalun » Mon May 30, 2016 11:16 am

RacheterRaptor wrote:Didn't apply to those schools, definitely not the same person...

Slipinandslidin wrote:
RacheterRaptor wrote:I was one of those $0 scholarship folks round 1. I sent an email to Dean Li expressing my desire to go to UW and the fact that, with their tuition and cost of living (I'm out of state), I just couldn't go without any money.

I ended up getting $20,000/year ($60,000 total) scholarship offer a few days before the 15th. While it was a very generous offer, my total out-of-pocket was still higher at UW than other schools. I replied saying as much, but was told that they just can't compete with offers from other schools because they don't have enough money.

I withdrew a few days ago. It was also a difficult decision for me, but UW was still significantly more expensive, to the point that when looking at how much student loan payments after graduation might be, it would have been near unmanageable. So I suppose the moral is don't lose hope if you strike out round one, but also don't bet you'll be able to get anything nearly as good as you could from a peer (or even better) school. I did really want to go to UW, but not that much.


If you're the same "raptor" I'm seeing on LSN, why would you be so serious about UW anyway when you're accepted to UT, Vanderbilt & USC with scholly?

fyi it's Dean Le, not Dean Li

mcmand

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby mcmand » Tue May 31, 2016 10:58 am

JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...


I think you misinterpreted the information mcmand was providing applicants on this thread. The ambassadors are being asked to reach out to those already admitted off the shortlist, not to reach out to those still on it. He is simply answering a question that was posted. Why is that creepy?


Huh? Not really sure what you're trying to say, but I just don't understand why they reach out here anonymously on an anonymous board to people with unknown circumstances. Why not just follow up with the specific people who are on the shortlist or have been admitted off of it??? Seems like they can pretty easily get the information from admissions on those specific individuals.


To clarify, I do not think he is posting on TLS as part of his role as an ambassador. He was being nice and simply answering another poster's question, while establishing in the thread who he is, so as to distinguish from being a random 0L passing along rumors.



The "ambassadors" have no control over the admissions process, and rarely have access to personal info of applicants. The only time I do is when someone in Admissions gives me some people to call who have been admitted.

In other words, what you propose idontwannaausername is impossible for me to do. I couldn't ever find out who they are that way, and even if I could, they'd have to reach out to me directly. I can't piece it together just based on a username.

Also, I'm speaking to this more as someone who got into UW off the waitlist. I've directly experienced UW's waitlist process. Ambassadors don't get any extra special info as to who is on what lists or when the admissions office plans to admit people off of it, or what the best way to succeed in getting off the list. We're literally just helpful students to convince admitted students to deposit and matriculate here. I'm not compensated for the effort.

Lastly, you're right the discussion board is meant for applicants. But it's not very helpful if you're not getting quality information. A bunch of applicants on a message board would really be just a bunch of people feeling around in a pitch-black room and guessing as to what's there. You're unique in that you're the only person to complain about the random extra insight current students have thrown in the mix here. Suit yourself, feel free to ignore my posts and keep wandering around in the dark.

User avatar
kellyfrost

Platinum
Posts: 6361
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 31, 2016 11:07 am

mcmand wrote:
JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
JonTheMandamus wrote:
idontwannaausername wrote:
mcmand wrote:
dmgnwk wrote:I was going to ask the same. Has anyone heard anything after the waitlist update email? Does anyone know if the 2016 class is full? Thanks you for any information.


I am a current 2L who does outreach to new students, and admissions just emailed me and other "ambassadors" to to ask us for availability to do outreach to waitlist admits over the summer. It's typically a trickle off the waitlist, not a huge flow. But there's definitely a handful, even late in the summer and closer to fall.

short answer: There's a chance, but a limited one. If you really want off the waitlist you should be lobbying already or starting now with your LOCI and maybe some other letters of rec.


I personally think it's kind of creepy that you would, as a supposedly ambassador representing the law school, present yourself in an anonymous manner on a discussion board that's meant for applicants not school reps.

Why not do outreach with actual people you know are on the short waitlist with your real name instead of like this??? Seems easy enough...


I think you misinterpreted the information mcmand was providing applicants on this thread. The ambassadors are being asked to reach out to those already admitted off the shortlist, not to reach out to those still on it. He is simply answering a question that was posted. Why is that creepy?


Huh? Not really sure what you're trying to say, but I just don't understand why they reach out here anonymously on an anonymous board to people with unknown circumstances. Why not just follow up with the specific people who are on the shortlist or have been admitted off of it??? Seems like they can pretty easily get the information from admissions on those specific individuals.


To clarify, I do not think he is posting on TLS as part of his role as an ambassador. He was being nice and simply answering another poster's question, while establishing in the thread who he is, so as to distinguish from being a random 0L passing along rumors.



The "ambassadors" have no control over the admissions process, and rarely have access to personal info of applicants. The only time I do is when someone in Admissions gives me some people to call who have been admitted.

In other words, what you propose idontwannaausername is impossible for me to do. I couldn't ever find out who they are that way, and even if I could, they'd have to reach out to me directly. I can't piece it together just based on a username.

Also, I'm speaking to this more as someone who got into UW off the waitlist. I've directly experienced UW's waitlist process. Ambassadors don't get any extra special info as to who is on what lists or when the admissions office plans to admit people off of it, or what the best way to succeed in getting off the list. We're literally just helpful students to convince admitted students to deposit and matriculate here. I'm not compensated for the effort.

Lastly, you're right the discussion board is meant for applicants. But it's not very helpful if you're not getting quality information. A bunch of applicants on a message board would really be just a bunch of people feeling around in a pitch-black room and guessing as to what's there. You're unique in that you're the only person to complain about the random extra insight current students have thrown in the mix here. Suit yourself, feel free to ignore my posts and keep wandering around in the dark.


+1. Set it up and knocked it down.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmgnwk

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby dmgnwk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Has anyone heard any updates regarding short waitlist movement?

dennisgerrard

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby dennisgerrard » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:36 pm

I consider to apply for UW next year,now in Bellevue.Anyone know is there any scholarship for international students? Also, I am preparing for LSAT.If you are in seattle,we can meet up and maybe share learning experience and materials 8)

User avatar
forlornhope

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby forlornhope » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm

I do not think that UW offers scholarships that are exclusively for international students. You would be in the same pool as everyone else. Just to confirm, though, the admissions office would be able to give you all the information you need.

Since you're already in Washington, do your best to ensure you can get in-state tuition if you can be eligible for it next year.

dmgnwk

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Postby dmgnwk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Hello everyone!

Has there been any short-list movement? Does anybody know the status of the 2016 class? The second deposit deadline at many other schools may trigger movement. Fingers crossed.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests