University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How high is UW Law on your hype list?

No question UW Law is the place for me!
18%
It's up there, but I have a few competitors.
28%
It's all about the scholly.
24%
Middle of the road.
8%
Safety, not very interested.
18%
I just applied for fun.
5%

Total votes: 79

kitkat12

New

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by kitkat12 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Got hit with an email earlier saying that they were unable to offer me merit scholarship. It's really strange, considering the amount of merit scholarship I obtained from T-20 schools. I'll likely be withdrawing my offer of admission. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Post deleted

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:05 pm

BTW, was anyone else's email missing words here and there? Just made me chuckle.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 pm

kitkat12 wrote:Got hit with an email earlier saying that they were unable to offer me merit scholarship. It's really strange, considering the amount of merit scholarship I obtained from T-20 schools. I'll likely be withdrawing my offer of admission. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!
Same. Very disappointed and frustrated.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Same here with $0. What is going on with UW? It's surprising to get many thousands offered by other schools with similar statistics (or better) but get nothing from UW. I know better than to ride too many hopes on that April 15 carrot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:45 pm

forlornhope wrote:Same here with $0. What is going on with UW? It's surprising to get many thousands offered by other schools with similar statistics (or better) but get nothing from UW. I know better than to ride too many hopes on that April 15 carrot.
Yeah, it's rough because that's after many school's deposit deadlines. So you could lose money waiting on nothing. Nice for those willing to go at sticker, but otherwise, a tough prospect.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Last edited by forlornhope on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayorscurvy

New

Post by mayorscurvy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:29 pm

No money for me. I'm pretty surprised.

Bunks

New

Post by Bunks » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Jumping on this no money train. Surprised and a little bummed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliciam1492

New

Post by aliciam1492 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I too am in the $0 boat. Like the rest of you it came as a very unpleasant surprise, especially with 75% GPA and LSAT.
What are your thoughts about leveraging scholarship offers from other comparable/higher ranked schools for negotiations (after next rounds go out on April 15, though my hopes are low at this point)? It feels strange when you get offered $0.

forlornhope

New

Post by forlornhope » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm worried those who did receive something might be too embarrassed to state so. I'm curious to know what the overall offer landscape was. Either that, or they are sending actual offers separately or through snail mail.

Funny, how the poll for this thread places scholarship as one of the highest priorities for UW attendance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rachellewrx

New

Post by rachellewrx » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 pm

kitkat12 wrote:Got hit with an email earlier saying that they were unable to offer me merit scholarship. It's really strange, considering the amount of merit scholarship I obtained from T-20 schools. I'll likely be withdrawing my offer of admission. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!
Same here. I will be withdrawing.
Also, it's a bit strange for them to give so many $0s this year after their ranking dropped to No.33 this year. I thought they'd do the opposite. It's like "there, we dropped to 33 on the list. We are not happy. You either pay sticker price or you don't come here. Bye bye."

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:37 pm

rachellewrx wrote:
Also, it's a bit strange for them to give so many $0s this year after their ranking dropped to No.33 this year. I thought they'd do the opposite. It's like "there, we dropped to 33 on the list. We are not happy. You either pay sticker price or you don't come here. Bye bye."
This. I responded to the email with my withdrawal about five minutes later. Ten minutes later, I got a UW Law Withdrawal Survey from someone in admissions. Sorry UW!

kitkat12

New

Post by kitkat12 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:30 am

OtterLaw wrote:
rachellewrx wrote:
This. I responded to the email with my withdrawal about five minutes later. Ten minutes later, I got a UW Law Withdrawal Survey from someone in admissions. Sorry UW!
It makes me wonder if they anticipated that a lot of applicants would withdraw because of $0. I know there's always that option to be considered for scholarship again in mid-April but that uncertainty is kind of risky..

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

forlornhope wrote:I'm worried those who did receive something might be too embarrassed to state so. I'm curious to know what the overall offer landscape was. Either that, or they are sending actual offers separately or through snail mail.

Funny, how the poll for this thread places scholarship as one of the highest priorities for UW attendance.
I received a scholarship. I am posting more details in the class of 2019 thread, but feel free to pm.

Also for those waiting on an offer of admission or scholarship info, the ABA report paints a pretty clear picture about what to expect. Of the 509 total enrolled students last year, ~40% paid sticker, ~30% received up to 9k, ~15% received 9k-14k. Of the remaining ~75 students, 18 were Gates Fellows (full tuition plus col), 40 received half to full tuition, and the rest received between 14k and half tuition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anrobinson

New

Post by anrobinson » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Waitlisted yesterday. hmmmm.

octobereve

New

Post by octobereve » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:54 pm

I posted this in the other forum as well, but I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?

rachellewrx

New

Post by rachellewrx » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 pm

octobereve wrote:I posted this in the other forum as well, but I was also surprised to see I received $0 in merit scholarships. If a Gregoire scholarship doesn't come through on April 4th I am not sure what I will do. It is hard to put down that $500 on April 15th before knowing anything about that second round of scholarship $$.

Did anyone who applied for the Gregoire Fellowship get a notice on Friday saying you WEREN'T in the running anymore? Or did they say that to everyone?
Same here. I got $0 merit scholly. Then in the email, they said I 'm still under consideration for the Gregoire Fellowship. Decision will be made in the week of April 04.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keezmasterflex

New

Post by keezmasterflex » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:14 pm

mcmand wrote:
rachellewrx wrote:
Is it? The amount of money to distribute hasn't changed. Why would a ranking drop suddenly open a floodgate of money from an imaginary place that didn't exist before? High LSAT/GPA isn't a sure bet for lots of scholarships at UW -- it's only part of the equation.

If you got $0, my guess is Dean Le has other candidates he thinks are a surer/safer bet to offer merit money in the initial round, because he thinks they actually want to end up here. Your application must be signaling that there already is a good risk you will turn down UW, with or without a scholarship. In other words, you present more risk, because if he offers money to you now, he can't offer it to someone else, who is more likely to accept, stay with UW, and maintain the ideal yield. If they turn down an admissions offer as a result, and then you ultimately decide against UW, then he's lost two for the price of one. Dean Le isn't stupid (nor are most top 40 law schools admissions offices). Just as you are trying to play them against each other, they are absolutely playing you all against each other.

The experience of robertwabisabi supports my theory. All the facts he mentioned about himself speaks to how choosy Admissions must be with a limited pool of funds.

If you guys want to hold out for more money, I encourage you to. There's a decent chance it could happen. But if the $0 dissuades you enough, then you'll have fulfilled Dean Le's guess that you weren't going to come anyway.

Addendum: There's also the factor that perhaps you were good candidates for the Gregoire fellowship and he knows something about your chances at that, too. So it's either "you actually have money coming, keep your pants on," or it's my theory above.

Agreed.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:25 pm

mcmand wrote:
rachellewrx wrote:
Is it? The amount of money to distribute hasn't changed. Why would a ranking drop suddenly open a floodgate of money from an imaginary place that didn't exist before? High LSAT/GPA isn't a sure bet for lots of scholarships at UW -- it's only part of the equation.

If you got $0, my guess is Dean Le has other candidates he thinks are a surer/safer bet to offer merit money in the initial round, because he thinks they actually want to end up here. Your application must be signaling that there already is a good risk you will turn down UW, with or without a scholarship. In other words, you present more risk, because if he offers money to you now, he can't offer it to someone else, who is more likely to accept, stay with UW, and maintain the ideal yield. If they turn down an admissions offer as a result, and then you ultimately decide against UW, then he's lost two for the price of one. Dean Le isn't stupid (nor are most top 40 law schools admissions offices). Just as you are trying to play them against each other, they are absolutely playing you all against each other.

The experience of robertwabisabi supports my theory. All the facts he mentioned about himself speaks to how choosy Admissions must be with a limited pool of funds.

If you guys want to hold out for more money, I encourage you to. There's a decent chance it could happen. But if the $0 dissuades you enough, then you'll have fulfilled Dean Le's guess that you weren't going to come anyway.

Addendum: There's also the factor that perhaps you were good candidates for the Gregoire fellowship and he knows something about your chances at that, too. So it's either "you actually have money coming, keep your pants on," or it's my theory above.
Well if this was UW's strategy then it worked nicely. It seems ridiculous to offer very qualified students who are probably looking at other schools $0. I for one would have seriously considered UW if they had offered me a good scholarship, but I'd rather pay a lot more for a school like Virginia if it comes down to no money. Best of luck to anyone else who gets a scholarship though!

robertwabisabi

Bronze

Post by robertwabisabi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:13 am

I think the biggest reason to go to UW is because you want to practice law in the Pacific NW. If you dont, no scholarship should entice you. If you do want to practice law in the Seattle area, then UW would likely be at least as good an option as most law schools, Virginia included. This is likely why in-state students are targeted for scholarships first as they are more likely to want to work in the puget sound after law school.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”