c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gobears!!

Gold

Post removed.

Post by gobears!! » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:05 am

Post removed.

Troianii

Silver

Re: c/o 2019 LGBTQ Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by Troianii » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:42 am

Just out of curiosity, does LGBTQ status affect admission chances? I assume there is some impact, but fairly small, and this is mostly just out of curiosity. Not LGBTQ, but I find it interesting what kind of things apart from LSAT and GPA affect admissions. Blacks are underrepresented broadly and so get a boost, Asians are overrepresented broadly and so are negatively impacted - I wonder if LGBTQ gets a bit of both, depending on the school. That is, I wonder if LGBTQ applicants get a boost at schools with few LGBTQ, and possibly a penalty at schools with high LGBTQ numbers.

Elexica

New

Post by Elexica » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 pm

Troianii wrote:Just out of curiosity, does LGBTQ status affect admission chances? I assume there is some impact, but fairly small, and this is mostly just out of curiosity. Not LGBTQ, but I find it interesting what kind of things apart from LSAT and GPA affect admissions. Blacks are underrepresented broadly and so get a boost, Asians are overrepresented broadly and so are negatively impacted - I wonder if LGBTQ gets a bit of both, depending on the school. That is, I wonder if LGBTQ applicants get a boost at schools with few LGBTQ, and possibly a penalty at schools with high LGBTQ numbers.

This has been discussed (to death) in the URM boards, you can check there for a full examination.

TL;DR Generally agreed that there is not really a boost unless your diversity statement is powerful enough, mostly seems to be for LGBTQ student org recruitment.

jwwoodma

New

Post by jwwoodma » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:27 pm

I hope everyone is receiving good news from their schools! I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the LGBT community and visibility at the more isolated schools? I'm not expecting the next West Hollywood to be in Ann Arbor, but I just have very little experience with cities as small as Ithaca or Ann Arbor and I'm starting to get nervous :oops: .

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:09 pm

I wanted to drop in again hoping that everyone has been getting good news!

Have any admitted applicants been contacted by students at various schools yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Hey, fellow LGBTQIA persons.

Just checking in. :)

monceau

Bronze

Post by monceau » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:45 pm

How's everyone's cycle going so far?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:55 am

I've been waitlisted (priority reserved) by Duke and heard nothing back from the rest of the Top 14. #s above both 75ths for everyone but H and Y and above 75 on GPA there while above median on Lsat. Not holding breath. I seem to be doing very poorly.

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Po$eidon wrote:I've been waitlisted (priority reserved) by Duke and heard nothing back from the rest of the Top 14. #s above both 75ths for everyone but H and Y and above 75 on GPA there while above median on Lsat. Not holding breath. I seem to be doing very poorly.
I'm sure they are: 1) yield protecting or 2) considering you for money. With those numbers things should look stellar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm

gobears!! wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:I've been waitlisted (priority reserved) by Duke and heard nothing back from the rest of the Top 14. #s above both 75ths for everyone but H and Y and above 75 on GPA there while above median on Lsat. Not holding breath. I seem to be doing very poorly.
I'm sure they are: 1) yield protecting or 2) considering you for money. With those numbers things should look stellar.

I just got "YP" by UPenn too. Nah they hate me: I have c&f issues from my teenage years, a weird major and a light resume. They just aren't biting.

percyt0

New

Post by percyt0 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 am

jwwoodma wrote:I hope everyone is receiving good news from their schools! I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the LGBT community and visibility at the more isolated schools? I'm not expecting the next West Hollywood to be in Ann Arbor, but I just have very little experience with cities as small as Ithaca or Ann Arbor and I'm starting to get nervous :oops: .
+1

newrad

New

Post by newrad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:34 pm

Columbia sent me a really nice email asking about my preferred pronouns and prefix.

Draconem

Bronze

Post by Draconem » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Received a really great message from a member of UCLA's OUTlaw group.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

The Outlaw student group at GULC was so welcoming. I've never felt more comfortable with a group of strangers.

Elexica

New

Post by Elexica » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 am

Heard back from Berkeley a little while ago-- accepted, YAY! :) Anyone else headed to admitted students weekend with the bears? I'd love to have someone so it is less awkward when I wander up to the queer caucus table!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:27 am

Nice to see a LGBT thread. Married guy here. Honestly, the only school that I've felt a negative effect from has been UT Austin. I'm on the WL with pretty good numbers and I'm beginning to wonder if my personal statement that talked about coming to terms with myself as a gay man didn't turn them off. Having lived in Texas for many years, I can say it's not the most gay-friendly state and I'm beginning to rethink that personal statement.

ltbenn

Bronze

Post by ltbenn » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:Nice to see a LGBT thread. Married guy here. Honestly, the only school that I've felt a negative effect from has been UT Austin. I'm on the WL with pretty good numbers and I'm beginning to wonder if my personal statement that talked about coming to terms with myself as a gay man didn't turn them off. Having lived in Texas for many years, I can say it's not the most gay-friendly state and I'm beginning to rethink that personal statement.
I mean, if you're in love with UT than far be it from me to dissuade you - but I for one would much rather go to a lower-ranked option where I'm comfortable being who I am than closet up for three years to have a little more prestige...
But then again I'm also a northeasterner who is used to my gayness being a non-issue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HabeasandCo

New

Post by HabeasandCo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:51 am

Navyhornguy wrote:Nice to see a LGBT thread. Married guy here. Honestly, the only school that I've felt a negative effect from has been UT Austin. I'm on the WL with pretty good numbers and I'm beginning to wonder if my personal statement that talked about coming to terms with myself as a gay man didn't turn them off. Having lived in Texas for many years, I can say it's not the most gay-friendly state and I'm beginning to rethink that personal statement.

Since you can't know for certain all the factors that went into your particular admissions decision, I think it's irresponsible to speculate that the reason you were waitlisted was due to an inherent bias against your sexual orientation.

Austin is an inclusive city, and it is pointless to make blanket statements about Texas since it is such a large and culturally diverse state.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:31 am

HabeasandCo wrote:

Since you can't know for certain all the factors that went into your particular admissions decision, I think it's irresponsible to speculate that the reason you were waitlisted was due to an inherent bias against your sexual orientation.

Austin is an inclusive city, and it is pointless to make blanket statements about Texas since it is such a large and culturally diverse state.
Reading back through what I wrote, I can certainly see where you might have thought I was insinuating that they were being discriminatory. It was actually meant to express a fear that I may have been too forward with that aspect of my life and overstated it on my application. I'm not saying it was the reason I was waitlisted. I'm pretty sure my LSAT being under their median was the main reason.

HabeasandCo

New

Post by HabeasandCo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:31 am

Navyhornguy wrote:
HabeasandCo wrote:

Reading back through what I wrote, I can certainly see where you might have thought I was insinuating that they were being discriminatory. It was actually meant to express a fear that I may have been too forward with that aspect of my life and overstated it on my application. I'm not saying it was the reason I was waitlisted. I'm pretty sure my LSAT being under their median was the main reason.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify your position. That makes sense, and I can understand why that might be a concern (though I hope that it's not justified :wink: ) I wish you all the luck on the rest of your cycle!

monceau

Bronze

Post by monceau » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi LGBT+ friends, I'm in kind of an odd predicament. In my apps, I checked the box saying I'm LGBT and wrote about it somewhat in my PS. For those of you who made your LGBT identity apparent in your applications, has it ever been brought up on a school tour? I'm visiting four schools with both parents, one of whom I'm out to and the other I'm not. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 pm

monceau wrote:Hi LGBT+ friends, I'm in kind of an odd predicament. In my apps, I checked the box saying I'm LGBT and wrote about it somewhat in my PS. For those of you who made your LGBT identity apparent in your applications, has it ever been brought up on a school tour? I'm visiting four schools with both parents, one of whom I'm out to and the other I'm not. Thanks!
I have very limited experience with this (only been on one school visit), but it was not brought up, and looking back I find it hard to imagine how it would have been brought up in that context without me saying something first or proactively attempting to approach an Outlaw student org table or something. In general, other than being seated at lunch by students who expressed semi-similar career interests, no specific info about any student was disclosed.

monceau

Bronze

Post by monceau » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
monceau wrote:Hi LGBT+ friends, I'm in kind of an odd predicament. In my apps, I checked the box saying I'm LGBT and wrote about it somewhat in my PS. For those of you who made your LGBT identity apparent in your applications, has it ever been brought up on a school tour? I'm visiting four schools with both parents, one of whom I'm out to and the other I'm not. Thanks!
I have very limited experience with this (only been on one school visit), but it was not brought up, and looking back I find it hard to imagine how it would have been brought up in that context without me saying something first or proactively attempting to approach an Outlaw student org table or something. In general, other than being seated at lunch by students who expressed semi-similar career interests, no specific info about any student was disclosed.
Thanks for the input! Anyone else care to weigh in?

Olliedemars

New

Post by Olliedemars » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:17 pm

This happened to me at Wellesley (undergrad, obviously); I asked about LGBT student orgs during an interview, then the interviewer walked me out to the lobby where my mom was waiting. My interviewer brought up the topic again, and I cut her off, er--twice? Very awkward. Very dinged.

Now that I'm a nearly-married old lady and my mom likes my fiancee more than she likes me, I can laugh about it. Anyway, no, won't happen at law schools. I've been on two visits, and no one rushed up to me to slap a rainbow sticker on me.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Olliedemars wrote:
This happened to me at Wellesley (undergrad, obviously); I asked about LGBT student orgs during an interview, then the interviewer walked me out to the lobby where my mom was waiting. My interviewer brought up the topic again, and I cut her off, er--twice? Very awkward. Very dinged.

Now that I'm a nearly-married old lady and my mom likes my fiancee more than she likes me, I can laugh about it. Anyway, no, won't happen at law schools. I've been on two visits, and no one rushed up to me to slap a rainbow sticker on me.
Aww shoot, I was hoping to get slapped with a rainbow sticker at UVA's open house tomorrow. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”