Cornell Law School c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
genericwit

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law School c/o 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by genericwit » Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 pm

ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Draconem wrote:
genericwit wrote:Don't mean to stir the pot here, but someone I know was accepted off reserve without an interview. Was that the case for anyone else? :/
I was, too. They offered me admission, requested an interview afterwards (as a formality), and then called me again on Monday to thank me for my interview and once more confirm my admission. I received my official admission email on Monday afternoon.
Interesting to me. I had thought that you needed to interview. Did you accept, and mind if I ask your stats?

Edit: And wondering if you're any kind of URM? My friend's stats were <25%, but I'm wondering if it had to do with her being LGBT. Just curious.
Was your friend otherwise non URM?
You know, I actually think she's ORM - Asian. So... *scratches head* Maybe she just wrote the best personal statement that somehow spoke to the admissions folks? Or they're trying to fill a demographic otherwise.
Either is possible, but it looks as though Cornell is taking quite a bit of people off of reserve this year (seems like comparatively more movement than last year). Which is weird because there's also relatively less movement at almost every other T14. *shrug*
Really? Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing a ton of people in this thread or on LSN getting pulled. Or I guess I should ask what you quantify as "quite a bit."

ls2k16

New

Post by ls2k16 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

genericwit wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Draconem wrote:
genericwit wrote:Don't mean to stir the pot here, but someone I know was accepted off reserve without an interview. Was that the case for anyone else? :/
I was, too. They offered me admission, requested an interview afterwards (as a formality), and then called me again on Monday to thank me for my interview and once more confirm my admission. I received my official admission email on Monday afternoon.
Interesting to me. I had thought that you needed to interview. Did you accept, and mind if I ask your stats?

Edit: And wondering if you're any kind of URM? My friend's stats were <25%, but I'm wondering if it had to do with her being LGBT. Just curious.
Was your friend otherwise non URM?
You know, I actually think she's ORM - Asian. So... *scratches head* Maybe she just wrote the best personal statement that somehow spoke to the admissions folks? Or they're trying to fill a demographic otherwise.
Either is possible, but it looks as though Cornell is taking quite a bit of people off of reserve this year (seems like comparatively more movement than last year). Which is weird because there's also relatively less movement at almost every other T14. *shrug*
Really? Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing a ton of people in this thread or on LSN getting pulled. Or I guess I should ask what you quantify as "quite a bit."
In the previous year's thread, there were maybe 4 or 5 people that got off reserve before summer waitlist that I saw. This year, it seems like there's already been upwards of 10 (myself included- I didn't post, and I know a few other people who got in), plus I've been in the Fb group and they've been adding some people (not to mention that the number of people in the group dropped from 200 to 150). But it's unclear if they are in off of reserve, of course.

Obviously I don't know how many people didn't post from last year, so this is strictly conjectural.

edit: If I'm look at this correctly, 5 got off of waitlist/reserve last cycle on LSN; and I saw 3 in early may post that they got in off reserve on last year's thread (one of whom never even received a reserve decision, he/she just got the initial decision in May)

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Wed May 25, 2016 7:30 pm

ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
In the previous year's thread, there were maybe 4 or 5 people that got off reserve before summer waitlist that I saw. This year, it seems like there's already been upwards of 10 (myself included- I didn't post, and I know a few other people who got in), plus I've been in the Fb group and they've been adding some people (not to mention that the number of people in the group dropped from 200 to 150). But it's unclear if they are in off of reserve, of course.

Obviously I don't know how many people didn't post from last year, so this is strictly conjectural.

edit: If I'm look at this correctly, 5 got off of waitlist/reserve last cycle on LSN; and I saw 3 in early may post that they got in off reserve on last year's thread (one of whom never even received a reserve decision, he/she just got the initial decision in May)
Thanks for the great info! Could you update us (or me) regularly with group numbers, if you don't mind? So it's currently at 150?

ls2k16

New

Post by ls2k16 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 pm

genericwit wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:

Thanks for the great info! Could you update us (or me) regularly with group numbers, if you don't mind? So it's currently at 150?
Up to 151, with 8 recently added members

onlycookie

New

Post by onlycookie » Thu May 26, 2016 12:45 am

ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
genericwit wrote:

Up to 151, with 8 recently added members
I was told there is no significant movement on the reserve list and asked to follow up after the second deposit deadline. And if your number is right, 10 should be a significant movement

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

When actually is the second deposit deadline?

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm

genericwit wrote:When actually is the second deposit deadline?
June 1.

Nunya222

New

Post by Nunya222 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm on the reserve list and I received an email today asking if I could schedule a phone call to discuss an "admission opportunity". I replied saying yes, I'm still interested in attending Cornell and asked what time they would like to schedule the call. They then responded by inviting me to participate in an online interview...has anyone else had to do an online interview this late in the process? I definitely would have preferred the phone call...

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:36 am

Nunya222 wrote:I'm on the reserve list and I received an email today asking if I could schedule a phone call to discuss an "admission opportunity". I replied saying yes, I'm still interested in attending Cornell and asked what time they would like to schedule the call. They then responded by inviting me to participate in an online interview...has anyone else had to do an online interview this late in the process? I definitely would have preferred the phone call...
I would say it sounds like a good sign nonetheless. Is it a pre-recorded online interview, or is it live on skype?

I had to do a pre-recorded online interview as part of the application process before I was admitted. It was short, about four questions and pretty impersonal. But it may be a requirement for admission. Maybe they were going to call and offer you a seat, but then realized they never had you complete the interview. Or it could be a test to see if you're still interested. I'd say it sounds like they're interested in you either way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vipertipper

New

Post by vipertipper » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:37 am

Anyone else riding this one out?

onlycookie

New

Post by onlycookie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 am

vipertipper wrote:Anyone else riding this one out?
I got admitted off the reserve list yesterday with no scholarship. I was told that 4 offers were extended

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm

I got in yesterday via phone call as well, with a scholarship offer. Unsure of what I'm going to do as of yet. Glad I received a scholly offer, when someone else didn't Very surprised I did. The Dean made very personalized comments to me about my interview and also offered to compare and contrast the program at Texas vs Cornell, which is incredibly kind, and she would know, consider she's an alum and was Dean there until last year. Lots of thinking to do.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:04 am

I tried searching for it, but maybe I was putting in the wrong key terms. But I vaguely remember someone having posted photos of Cornell in the winter time? As a new admit, could someone point me in the direction of those. Might shove me in the right direction. ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 pm

genericwit wrote:I tried searching for it, but maybe I was putting in the wrong key terms. But I vaguely remember someone having posted photos of Cornell in the winter time? As a new admit, could someone point me in the direction of those. Might shove me in the right direction. ;)
I believe that those were taken down

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Babum wrote:
genericwit wrote:I tried searching for it, but maybe I was putting in the wrong key terms. But I vaguely remember someone having posted photos of Cornell in the winter time? As a new admit, could someone point me in the direction of those. Might shove me in the right direction. ;)
I posted some here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3#p7272783

A long time ago...

onlycookie

New

Post by onlycookie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:13 am

Lavitz wrote:
Babum wrote:

A long time ago...
Wow, it looks beautiful but living there in such weather may be terrible. By the way, do I need a jacket for the winter before I come to Ithaca or can I just buy one there.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:52 am

Lavitz wrote:
Babum wrote:

A long time ago...
Lavitz, I always thought that you took them down. When I got to Cornell I kept looking for that bench in the picture. Where is that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:53 am

onlycookie wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Babum wrote:

A long time ago...
Wow, it looks beautiful but living there in such weather may be terrible. By the way, do I need a jacket for the winter before I come to Ithaca or can I just buy one there.
You could buy one, but there aren't that many places you can buy it from in Ithaca. Unless you are online shopping.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 am

Babum wrote:Lavitz, I always thought that you took them down. When I got to Cornell I kept looking for that bench in the picture. Where is that?
It's at the entrance to Ithaca Falls. The road next to it is under construction right now, but will hopefully done soon.

onlycookie

New

Post by onlycookie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 pm

onlycookie wrote:
vipertipper wrote:Anyone else riding this one out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”