UC Irvine c/o 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How set are you on attending UCI?

100%! Deposited.
23%
Almost there, a little $$ will get me to deposit.
16%
On the fence pending visit, scholarship, other school decisions, etc
35%
Withdrew
16%
I applied for scholly money for negotiating against other peers.
10%

Total votes: 31

Kayak1277

New

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Post by Kayak1277 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm

iguazu wrote:
spencercross wrote:
1scout23 wrote:Anyone who went to ASW, was the projected yield size ever mentioned?
Darn, it was mentioned but I can't remember what it was. I want to say it was going to be over 100 though.
Yeah, Dean Chem mentioned that he had clearance from the chancellor to increase the size up to 150 or something but that they're only supposed to do so if the "quality'" of incoming students can be maintained. That's all I remember. I'd bet there are 110ish this year
If I am remembering correctly, the eventual goal is a class size of 180, but they won't go there unless the quality of student can be maintained as you mentioned. The number they are shooting for this year is 120.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I remember someone stating 110-120 class size. They want to go up in increments or so of 15/20 until they have 180 (heh) in a few years. I was really surprised by the strong language dean chem said about UCI being near T20 by the time we graduate.

laub

New

Post by laub » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by laub on Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laub

New

Post by laub » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by laub on Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Kayak1277 wrote:
iguazu wrote:
spencercross wrote:
1scout23 wrote:Anyone who went to ASW, was the projected yield size ever mentioned?
Darn, it was mentioned but I can't remember what it was. I want to say it was going to be over 100 though.
Yeah, Dean Chem mentioned that he had clearance from the chancellor to increase the size up to 150 or something but that they're only supposed to do so if the "quality'" of incoming students can be maintained. That's all I remember. I'd bet there are 110ish this year
If I am remembering correctly, the eventual goal is a class size of 180, but they won't go there unless the quality of student can be maintained as you mentioned. The number they are shooting for this year is 120.
That's a pretty significant leap from 89. Maybe that's why they're being so firm with scholarship offers, they just have a lot more of them out there to balance (though they had 120+ the year before).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
laub wrote:Has anyone been wildly successful in increasing scholarship funds? From what I've read on here, most people received no or very limited increase.
I've contacted them about it 3 times now and still have not received any response. :(
Finally heard back from Dean Austin today. Got offered a very minimal increase. I wonder if they will have more money later on. This is so disappointing!

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
laub wrote:Has anyone been wildly successful in increasing scholarship funds? From what I've read on here, most people received no or very limited increase.
I've contacted them about it 3 times now and still have not received any response. :(
Finally heard back from Dean Austin today. Got offered a very minimal increase. I wonder if they will have more money later on. This is so disappointing!
Yeah, I'm hoping for some of that April 29th money :)

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:24 pm

iguazu wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping for some of that April 29th money :)
IS THAT A THING?!

KGLaw18

New

Post by KGLaw18 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:27 pm

I would just like to know if I got in? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:12 pm

in today after submitting app at deadline

was worried for a while since i didn't get a confirmation or complete email from uci

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:17 pm

rion91 wrote:UC Irvine employment #s are out:

c/o 2014 had 93 graduating students.

86% employed (80/93).
79 of those 80 are employed full time.
69 got bar passage required jobs (74% up from 64.3% last year), and the remaining 10 got JD Advantaged jobs.
10 Federal clerkships out of 93 (10.8%, down from 17.9% last year)
BigLaw up to 17.2% this year, versus 15.5% last year.

http://www.law.uci.edu/careers/students ... -2014.html
Heard today from a student who heard from faculty that the Class of 2015 is currently 85% employed. Again, this is not official information, and I don't know if there could be an error, but I figured this is some information that some of you might like to know.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:09 pm

zot1 wrote:

86% employed (80/93).
69 got bar passage required jobs (74% up from 64.3% last year), and the remaining 10 got JD Advantaged jobs.

Heard today from a student who heard from faculty that the Class of 2015 is currently 85% employed. Again, this is not official information, and I don't know if there could be an error, but I figured this is some information that some of you might like to know.
Yeah, at ASW Dean chem said the original estimate was something but they revised it up a percent, so that might explain the different numbers.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 pm

rion91 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

86% employed (80/93).

Yeah, at ASW Dean chem said the original estimate was something but they revised it up a percent, so that might explain the different numbers.
What you posted and what the Dean discussed is for the class of 2014. What I'm talking about is the class that's about to graduate. So that would be 85% at graduation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:15 pm

zot1 wrote:
rion91 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

86% employed (80/93).

What you posted and what the Dean discussed is for the class of 2014. What I'm talking about is the class that's about to graduate. So that would be 85% at graduation.
Oh wow, that's really impressive! I did not catch the 2015. I hope the number gets higher!

Motion to Strike

New

Post by Motion to Strike » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 am

For those of you panicking because you didn't get into UCI or another T50 school, relax. If you have the drive and passion for this field, you will be successful wherever you go. I applied to UCLA in my early 20s, and it was the only school I applied to. I figured that it was UCLA or nothing. I was denied admission and eventually moved on with my life. Fast forward a few years and I've realized that the law school you go to is not as important as I thought it was. I've been working as a law clerk for a few years, and I've met attorneys who graduated from different law schools in California and out-of-state. I currently work for a big firm in OC, and we have attorneys who graduated from Loyola, UCLA, USC etc. Our best trial attorney, who is well known in OC, graduated from Western State. We have another attorney who won best trial lawyer of the year at one of the ABOTA chapters in OC who graduated from Whittier Law School. Yes, Whittier of all places. About a month ago, our firm had a multi-million dollar case, and opposing counsel was well known to get big verdicts and I'm talking big. The guy is all over Youtube. I did some research on him, and of course, he's filthy rich and has a best-selling book. Here is the interesting thing, he graduated from University of La Verne. I didn't even know that law school existed. So anyways, you guys get the point. If you really want to be a great attorney, it's all up to you. It doesn't matter what school you graduated from. It's about making the best of your law school experience, wherever that may be, and how you present yourself in interviews. I've met some attorneys who graduated from T20 laws schools who have absolutely no personality or social skills. So don't feel bad if you didn't get accepted to your dream school. Keep going and work hard. Good luck everybody!

idontknow1

New

Post by idontknow1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:38 am

Last edited by idontknow1 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:42 am

idontknow1 wrote:
Motion to Strike wrote:For those of you panicking because you didn't get into UCI or another T50 school, relax.
Going off topic here, sorry everyone. I still haven't heard from Irvine so if may respond to the last post...

You are a rare breed on this forum. I'm considering Loyola with a scholarship close to full tuition and maybe UCLA (waitlisted) at full tuition. I wanted to make a post and ask if I am insane for even thinking about Loyola if I get into UCLA, but I know the answers I would get here. I can't stop thinking about the money difference though, 50k vs 200k. Chances of big law are better at UCLA, but if I don't land that job I would have a huge burden I am not sure I could handle.
Have you sent a LOCI to UCI?

I wouldn't have gone to any school paying sticker. The reason why is that there are many factors outside your control that will dictate what kind of job you get, if any, and how much that job will help you pay back your debt. So you could be the brightest person thinking you'll be top 10% and end up bottom 10%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:46 am

Motion to Strike wrote:For those of you panicking because you didn't get into UCI or another T50 school, relax. If you have the drive and passion for this field, you will be successful wherever you go. I applied to UCLA in my early 20s, and it was the only school I applied to. I figured that it was UCLA or nothing. I was denied admission and eventually moved on with my life. Fast forward a few years and I've realized that the law school you go to is not as important as I thought it was. I've been working as a law clerk for a few years, and I've met attorneys who graduated from different law schools in California and out-of-state. I currently work for a big firm in OC, and we have attorneys who graduated from Loyola, UCLA, USC etc. Our best trial attorney, who is well known in OC, graduated from Western State. We have another attorney who won best trial lawyer of the year at one of the ABOTA chapters in OC who graduated from Whittier Law School. Yes, Whittier of all places. About a month ago, our firm had a multi-million dollar case, and opposing counsel was well known to get big verdicts and I'm talking big. The guy is all over Youtube. I did some research on him, and of course, he's filthy rich and has a best-selling book. Here is the interesting thing, he graduated from University of La Verne. I didn't even know that law school existed. So anyways, you guys get the point. If you really want to be a great attorney, it's all up to you. It doesn't matter what school you graduated from. It's about making the best of your law school experience, wherever that may be, and how you present yourself in interviews. I've met some attorneys who graduated from T20 laws schools who have absolutely no personality or social skills. So don't feel bad if you didn't get accepted to your dream school. Keep going and work hard. Good luck everybody!
This is such a random thing to post as your first ever post. Sure, some alumni from lesser known schools are doing well now but that's because they became attorneys when the market was better and graduated with little to no debt. That has changed quite a bit. There's a large supply of grads so employers can be picky. In addition, grads have an incredible burden when they graduate with 100k+ debt that they need to repay shortly after graduation. Now, I'm not one to say top 14 or nothing, but certainly, I would have people think twice before going to schools out of the top100 unless they would graduate with little to no debt and/or have some serious connections already that are very likely to lead to a job. Just my two cents.

idontknow1

New

Post by idontknow1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 am

zot1 wrote:
Have you sent a LOCI to UCI?

I wouldn't have gone to any school paying sticker. The reason why is that there are many factors outside your control that will dictate what kind of job you get, if any, and how much that job will help you pay back your debt. So you could be the brightest person thinking you'll be top 10% and end up bottom 10%.
Haven't sent a LOCI. I don't think they will offer me money and Irvine at sticker is out of consideration for me. I will ride it out with them on the off chance I get an offer down the line with some money.

Motion to Strike

New

Post by Motion to Strike » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 pm

zot1 wrote:
Motion to Strike wrote:For those of you panicking because you didn't get into UCI or another T50 school, relax. If you have the drive and passion for this field, you will be successful wherever you go. I applied to UCLA in my early 20s, and it was the only school I applied to. I figured that it was UCLA or nothing. I was denied admission and eventually moved on with my life. Fast forward a few years and I've realized that the law school you go to is not as important as I thought it was. I've been working as a law clerk for a few years, and I've met attorneys who graduated from different law schools in California and out-of-state. I currently work for a big firm in OC, and we have attorneys who graduated from Loyola, UCLA, USC etc. Our best trial attorney, who is well known in OC, graduated from Western State. We have another attorney who won best trial lawyer of the year at one of the ABOTA chapters in OC who graduated from Whittier Law School. Yes, Whittier of all places. About a month ago, our firm had a multi-million dollar case, and opposing counsel was well known to get big verdicts and I'm talking big. The guy is all over Youtube. I did some research on him, and of course, he's filthy rich and has a best-selling book. Here is the interesting thing, he graduated from University of La Verne. I didn't even know that law school existed. So anyways, you guys get the point. If you really want to be a great attorney, it's all up to you. It doesn't matter what school you graduated from. It's about making the best of your law school experience, wherever that may be, and how you present yourself in interviews. I've met some attorneys who graduated from T20 laws schools who have absolutely no personality or social skills. So don't feel bad if you didn't get accepted to your dream school. Keep going and work hard. Good luck everybody!
This is such a random thing to post as your first ever post. Sure, some alumni from lesser known schools are doing well now but that's because they became attorneys when the market was better and graduated with little to no debt. That has changed quite a bit. There's a large supply of grads so employers can be picky. In addition, grads have an incredible burden when they graduate with 100k+ debt that they need to repay shortly after graduation. Now, I'm not one to say top 14 or nothing, but certainly, I would have people think twice before going to schools out of the top100 unless they would graduate with little to no debt and/or have some serious connections already that are very likely to lead to a job. Just my two cents.
I don’t think this is a random post. We’re here to talk about law school and admissions, denials, etc. I’m trying to offer some encouragement for those who didn’t get accepted to their top law school, but who do have some other options. I stick by what I said, at least here in the OC and LA area. You may be right about other states. If you live in a remote area then yes it’s going to be more difficult to get a job. I’ve had a chance to network with different law firms here in OC & LA, and I’ve asked them what they look for in prospective employees, specifically those who just graduated, and the law school they attended was not the first thing they look at. Our firm hired someone from Whittier this year who graduated less than a year ago. I asked our managing partner why he hired this particular attorney instead of those who interviewed and graduated from bigger name schools like USC and UCLA. He said it was all about how she presented herself in the interview and the fact that she was active at her law school helped a great deal.

Plus, just because you graduated from a lesser known school and are doing well does not mean you graduated with little to no debt. Perhaps, that’s what you want to think to justify your reasoning, but that’s not true. Of course, employers are going to be picky, but you’re not looking at the bigger picture. I used to be on the same boat as you so I get where you’re coming from. We’re conditioned to think that attending a big name school is going to lead to a successful career, but there are other much more important factors that can affect whether that becomes true or not. Having worked in this field for five years, I can tell you that you’re putting way too much emphasis on the law school name. If you’re a go-getter, have the right attitude, and worked hard in law school, you’re going to fare well. If you’re already being a Debbie Downer then you’re setting yourself up for failure. In the end, we can agree to disagree.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

[Redacted because I mistook this for another thread]
Last edited by spencercross on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

spencercross wrote:This is all very interesting, but not exactly an appropriate for this particular thread. If you want to talk about this topic in relation to UCI specifically, it would be more appropriate for the applicants thread given that this thread is theoretically for people who are already admitted. If you prefer to talk about it more broadly, perhaps you could start a new thread.
+1

bisa

New

Post by bisa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Anyone receive a travel reimbursement? I was approved for $600 in reimbursements (for my ASW visit) since I'm from east coast. I followed instructions on the ASW PDF regarding travel reimbursements and emailed Steve Vercelloni my receipts, but I haven't received a response. Did any of you follow through with it?

horseshoe1

New

Post by horseshoe1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Anyone here from NorCal, planning to attend UCI and move back to NorCal?

Biggest thing standing in my way now is location, but given the direction of the school I'm thinking this may not be as big of an issue...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:49 pm

horseshoe1 wrote:Anyone here from NorCal, planning to attend UCI and move back to NorCal?

Biggest thing standing in my way now is location, but given the direction of the school I'm thinking this may not be as big of an issue...
PM if you want me to connect you with current students in your position. This way you can have a clear idea of how doable it is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”