UC Irvine c/o 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How set are you on attending UCI?

100%! Deposited.
23%
Almost there, a little $$ will get me to deposit.
16%
On the fence pending visit, scholarship, other school decisions, etc
35%
Withdrew
16%
I applied for scholly money for negotiating against other peers.
10%

Total votes: 31

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
spencercross wrote:This is all very interesting, but not exactly an appropriate for this particular thread. If you want to talk about this topic in relation to UCI specifically, it would be more appropriate for the applicants thread given that this thread is theoretically for people who are already admitted. If you prefer to talk about it more broadly, perhaps you could start a new thread.
+1
This is absolutely correct. Please do not engage in this thread in debates about the value of school brand-name and where people from what schools do or do not get jobs. There are plenty of other parts of this forum where you can have that conversation; this is part of the forum is for exchanging information about acceptances, rejections, and waitlists.

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:44 pm

bisa wrote:Anyone receive a travel reimbursement? I was approved for $600 in reimbursements (for my ASW visit) since I'm from east coast. I followed instructions on the ASW PDF regarding travel reimbursements and emailed Steve Vercelloni my receipts, but I haven't received a response. Did any of you follow through with it?
I just got an email from him this afternoon saying he'd be in touch next week with reimbursement

Motion to Strike

New

Post by Motion to Strike » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Wow. Talk about uptight. I was simply offering some insight to those who may not have heard from UCI yet or were rejected. It was never intended to be a debate, but thank you for your opinion. It is appreciated, and I will look into creating a new thread since it is an interesting topic.

I was accepted to UCI but decided to go to USD because they offered more $$. I'm more concerned about the debt than the school. It is still a great choice, and congrats to all of you who were accepted. :)

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Did anyone get any need-based aid from UCI? I find it strange that I got need-based aid from UCLA but not from UCI. As UC schools, shouldn't they be using similar parameters?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Motion to Strike wrote:Wow. Talk about uptight. I was simply offering some insight to those who may not have heard from UCI yet or were rejected. It was never intended to be a debate, but thank you for your opinion. It is appreciated, and I will look into creating a new thread since it is an interesting topic.

I was accepted to UCI but decided to go to USD because they offered more $$. I'm more concerned about the debt than the school. It is still a great choice, and congrats to all of you who were accepted. :)
Right, I'm just explaining to you the rules of this forum, with which you were unfamiliar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 pm

spencercross wrote:Did anyone get any need-based aid from UCI? I find it strange that I got need-based aid from UCLA but not from UCI. As UC schools, shouldn't they be using similar parameters?
I got no need based aid. But I know some schools combine merit and need based aid in their offer. I'm not sure UCI is one of these schools. Actually I think my letter said it was merit aid of $60k total, which is ridiculous because I have a full ride at Davis, and a $1XX,000 offer from USC. I can't justify the cost difference. .

Motion to Strike

New

Post by Motion to Strike » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Motion to Strike wrote:Wow. Talk about uptight. I was simply offering some insight to those who may not have heard from UCI yet or were rejected. It was never intended to be a debate, but thank you for your opinion. It is appreciated, and I will look into creating a new thread since it is an interesting topic.

Right, I'm just explaining to you the rules of this forum, with which you were unfamiliar.
With that attitude, good luck getting a job. This type of work requires everyday interaction with clients, attorneys, judges, etc, and you will constantly be offering explanations. If condescension is your method of choice then I truly pity those who will work with you.
Plus, I am very familiar with this forum's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, and I didn't breach any rule. I will give you this, I should've posted in a different thread. Again, thank you for your kind opinion. This will be my last post here so you can continue with your discussion.

Gkmc

New

Post by Gkmc » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Last edited by Gkmc on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conster31

New

Post by Conster31 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Has anyone who is going made a facebook page??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:51 pm

Conster31 wrote:Has anyone who is going made a facebook page??
https://www.facebook.com/groups/816651118411137/

HopefulURM

New

Post by HopefulURM » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Anyone else still waiting on a decision? I've had radio silence since going complete, thinking I might want to reach out to them at this point; thoughts?

kptibolt

New

Post by kptibolt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I have not heard anything either. Due to the length of wait (and my underwhelming numbers), I am assuming I am being waitlisted or denied. Same thing as UNC - no updates or communications. Silence.

horseshoe1

New

Post by horseshoe1 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Gkmc wrote:
Motion to Strike wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

With that attitude, good luck getting a job. This type of work requires everyday interaction with clients, attorneys, judges, etc, and you will constantly be offering explanations. If condescension is your method of choice then I truly pity those who will work with you.
Plus, I am very familiar with this forum's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, and I didn't breach any rule. I will give you this, I should've posted in a different thread. Again, thank you for your kind opinion. This will be my last post here so you can continue with your discussion.
Troll/10
No offense but this seems really unnecessary. hope you're not going to be killing the great environment UCI has built.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KGLaw18

New

Post by KGLaw18 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:42 pm

HopefulURM wrote:Anyone else still waiting on a decision? I've had radio silence since going complete, thinking I might want to reach out to them at this point; thoughts?
+1

How long have you been waiting for?

SupremeLaw

New

Post by SupremeLaw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Has anyone been sucessful negotiating scholarships? Been getting shot down lol

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:58 pm

SupremeLaw wrote:Has anyone been sucessful negotiating scholarships? Been getting shot down lol
For myself, and everyone else who I've talked to on here about negotiating with UCI, we've been given very, very minimal increases. Not sure if there will be more money later or if they are just really stingy this year.

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am

For current students: Is there any merit in having a dinky laptop for class and a nice, big screen set-up at home? Or is it important to have a good laptop for exam-taking? I have a MacBook Pro from 5 years ago that still works but is slowing down

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot2

New

Post by zot2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am

iguazu wrote:For current students: Is there any merit in having a dinky laptop for class and a nice, big screen set-up at home? Or is it important to have a good laptop for exam-taking? I have a MacBook Pro from 5 years ago that still works but is slowing down
Current 1L here. You want to make sure you have something reliable + multiple back-up methods. For most of us, that's Mac products + using Dropbox or Drive. I got a new laptop before school started (my previous one was several years old) and it was worth it. A second screen at home helps when I want one screen with research and the second screen with a draft of my writing assignment.

At least at UCI, we take exams on laptops using ExamSoft. The system requirements are here. Also, and importantly, ExamSoft does not work on Chromebooks and other tablets unless they are operating a FULL Windows system.

Current students have finals starting on next week. If anyone still has questions, PM me or other current students and I'm sure we will do our best to try to answer them.

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 am

zot2 wrote:
iguazu wrote:For current students: Is there any merit in having a dinky laptop for class and a nice, big screen set-up at home? Or is it important to have a good laptop for exam-taking? I have a MacBook Pro from 5 years ago that still works but is slowing down
Current 1L here. You want to make sure you have something reliable + multiple back-up methods. For most of us, that's Mac products + using Dropbox or Drive. I got a new laptop before school started (my previous one was several years old) and it was worth it. A second screen at home helps when I want one screen with research and the second screen with a draft of my writing assignment.

At least at UCI, we take exams on laptops using ExamSoft. The system requirements are here. Also, and importantly, ExamSoft does not work on Chromebooks and other tablets unless they are operating a FULL Windows system.

Current students have finals starting on next week. If anyone still has questions, PM me or other current students and I'm sure we will do our best to try to answer them.
Thanks a lot, I was pretty set on getting a new laptop, but you confirmed that

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Anyone else deposited at Davis but still considering Irvine? I keep logging into the SIR page and looking at it, but still haven't convinced myself to give up another $40k+ at Davis.

Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New

Post by Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:53 pm

spencercross wrote:Anyone else deposited at Davis but still considering Irvine? I keep logging into the SIR page and looking at it, but still haven't convinced myself to give up another $40k+ at Davis.
+1

I deposited at Davis. I'm still waiting on Irvine getting back to me about a possible scholly increase. They offered me some $ but Davis was more generous. I think the schools are fairly comparable in many regards. Irvine may have more "potential" but Davis has an alumni network already in place. One is in NorCal the other SoCal. Otherwise, the two are very similar and money dictates my decision. I will say that Davis admissions people have be way, way easier to deal with. But I suppose UCI has another week to iron out their offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Cpt Zapp Brannigan wrote:
spencercross wrote:Anyone else deposited at Davis but still considering Irvine? I keep logging into the SIR page and looking at it, but still haven't convinced myself to give up another $40k+ at Davis.
+1

I deposited at Davis. I'm still waiting on Irvine getting back to me about a possible scholly increase. They offered me some $ but Davis was more generous. I think the schools are fairly comparable in many regards. Irvine may have more "potential" but Davis has an alumni network already in place. One is in NorCal the other SoCal. Otherwise, the two are very similar and money dictates my decision. I will say that Davis admissions people have be way, way easier to deal with. But I suppose UCI has another week to iron out their offers.

UCI all the way :lol:

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Cpt Zapp Brannigan wrote:
+1

I think the one thing to weight for Irvine is that Davis may be more established, but there's not as big of a community "push" to make sure the school succeeds. UCI doesn't have that many alumni, but it does have supporters in the community taking an activist stance to hire UCI grads (met plenty of them at the meet and greet at crystal cove).

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 pm

spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?
Yep

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”