University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dknickwins

New

Re: University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015)

Post by dknickwins » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Waitlisted today. Above both 75ths. Apparently the only person with numbers that high to not be accepted ever, at least looking at those on Law School Numbers.

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:55 pm

rkspurs21 wrote:nothing. I'm really disappointed it's taking them so long. There are hardly any decisions on LSN. Lots of the schools I'm above medians on seem to have made a point of accepting quickly and really working to sell what they have to offer. I feel like UW is missing that opportunity by holding us all forever, if, of course, they accept me. I'd love to live in Seattle, but have other offers rolling in (including full rides to schools ranked above them). They seem way behind compared to last year.

That said, it's Friday! Fingers crossed today.
Good call, dude. I'm in today. Congrats on your acceptance.

steal

New

Post by steal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Wait list email today.

162/3.9

Strong softs/resume.

So sad!

pamphleteer

Bronze

Post by pamphleteer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:06 pm

dknickwins wrote:Waitlisted today. Above both 75ths. Apparently the only person with numbers that high to not be accepted ever, at least looking at those on Law School Numbers.
If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine above both 75ths was also WLed this cycle. UW was one of her top choices too. I think they're pretty much waitlisting everybody.

googlyeyes

New

Post by googlyeyes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:58 pm

In today!! 3.4/166 UG at UW. Under review 1/6

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Waitlisted today 169/3.37...too presumptuous to assume YP?

smashes

New

Post by smashes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Edlund wrote:Waitlisted today 169/3.37...too presumptuous to assume YP?
In today via email. 168/3.5

Not really sure about their YP, from the numbers it looks really random as to who they waitlisted versus accept.

mohdban

Bronze

Post by mohdban » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:48 am

Last edited by mohdban on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 am

sirstynkalot wrote:The waiting kills...

So, what do folks like about Seattle? I'm a big fan of the nature around there. Don't much care for the U district but everything a ways outside the city is gorgeous.
I grew up right near the U District. Best thing about the U District is that there is great inexpensive food because the area caters to college students.

Pho Than Brothers in the U District you can get a $6 bowl of pho that is just huge and comes with a free cream puff and you can buy extra cream puffs getting 3 for a $1.50. Some U District food isn't as cheap but you'll find some of the cheapest food in the city around the campus and most of it is pretty good.

Also it's just on the edge of the U District but Dick's Burgers are the best and you can still get a small burger for a $1.35 or a deluxe for $2.90 and their delicious fries only cost $1.65.

They are a bit more expensive but you can get a huge biscuit sandwich at Morsel for 6 - 7 dollars. Really good biscuits - in my opinion the best in the city and they are huge like almost twice as big as a normal sized biscuit. I had a biscuit sandwich for lunch there last week and I was just stuffed; it had an egg, cheese, arugula, prosciutto, and mama lil's pepper aioli. It had like 8 layers of prosciutto which next time I think I'll ask them to cut the amount in half because it was slightly too salty. Or the smartest idea I'll just remove some of the prosciutto and save it for later. :) I really want to try their lavender honey, their strawberry balsamic preserves are delicious and their roasted tomato jam. Their vanilla kumquat soda was delicious with real pieces of kumquat in it.

I don't go clubbing because I'm just a homebody. I'll mention this probably a third or fourth of bars / night clubs in Seattle are "gay bars". My sister and her friends love to go to gay nightclubs like Neighbors that are focused on dancing. Lots of people who aren't gay go to "gay bars" in Seattle.

For fun I like to go to see movies at the Seattle Centers huge Imax screen. I like to go see shows at the Benaroya Hall or the Fifth Ave Theater. Or on rare occasions I'll go with my sister to see the PNW ballet or see dance shows at the UW campus. Dance performances at the UW are actually a great price compared to other places in the city and they usually have a great variety to go see. I bet they give UW students a discount but I'm not certain on that.

I like to go to neighborhood festivals but I often miss out on many upcoming festivals. Most years I make it to the U District Street Fair and some years the Fremont Solstice parade and festival. My father is usually on top of things when it comes to local festivals - this summer there was a day when three neighborhood festivals were all happening so my father got up early and then biked all other the city that day going to all three.

Most of what I enjoy inside the city is all the great food. My favorite restaurant is the Pink Door especially in the summer when their roof deck is open. Every night of the week they have entertainment for dinner like trapeze artists, cabaret acts, and bands. Their food is great and very well priced for its quality. Most people who come to Seattle will find that restaurants in the city have prices that are comparable to NYC though probably slightly less expensive on average.

My other favorite thing to do inside Seattle is just going places to see the great views; you have the Olympic mountain range on one side and the Cascades on the other as well as views of Mt. Rainier - though I find that I can more often see the Cascades and the Olympics and only rarely see Mt. Rainier. Lake Union is contained within the city with Lake Washington surrounding the city on one side and the Puget Sound on the other side. If you want a great view of the city head to West Seattle by water taxi or if you drive make certain to avoid rush hours because it is terrible to travel to and from West Seattle by car certain times of the day. The water taxi is free I think and West Seattle has amazing views of the main part of the city from the beach and some of the hills.

Outside of the city there are tons of fun things to do like camping, hiking, and visiting the many WA small towns and cities. My favorite drive is to take the North Cascades Scenic Highway in the summer over to the East side of the mountains to visit places like Winthrop, Twisp, and Chelan. There are lots of great small towns but also the views driving on the way there are just stunning. The highway is closed most of the year because it's so mountainous but it is a fully paved road. You just need to check to make certain before you go that they have cleared any spring rock slides and that the ice has melted enough.

If you like skiing or snowboarding there are many shuttle services that for a good price will take you different places near by. My favorite shuttle goes to Crystal Mountain. I haven't taken the shuttle in a few years but my father still does it once or twice every year. Taking the shuttle costs $15 more than just driving there yourself but you aren't paying for gas and you won't have to drive in the snow or have to find a parking spot or deal with the stress of driving. Plus if you live near the U District the Green Lake shuttle bus stop will be close to where you are living.

It's not in WA but my husband and I do stargazing as a hobby and the best Star Party in the country for dark sky stargazing is in Oregon. There is basically no light pollution where the star party is hosted because it is super rural. It's called the Oregon Star Party and it's once a year in the summer. They have many guest lecturers - often some people from NASA - and tons of fun things especially for kids. A lot of people who attend make their own giant telescopes and are happy to share them with others. They have a food and a drink truck that is open until 1 or 2 in the morning. They also have a shower truck and porta-potties. Then the last day they have their big raffle that anyone who attends has a stake in. The last time I went I won a really great pair of binoculars that were worth much more than I paid to attend. To attend costs something like $50.

There are tons of great small towns outside Seattle and a lot of beautiful natural places to go. If you want any more suggestions feel free to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Edlund wrote:Waitlisted today 169/3.37...too presumptuous to assume YP?
UWSoL finds a strong correlation between LSAC gpa and success in law school so the school gives more weight to gpa than its peers.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:47 pm

In yesterday via email. 167/3.6. I was originally excited to apply to them but they took so long (applied to 5 other schools early December and they are the last one I heard back from), I've been accepted to and gotten scholarships to T20 schools in the meantime and already started planning my move elsewhere..

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Applied yesterday and went complete/ready for review today.

How long does UW generally take from complete -> decision?

lolarhp

New

Post by lolarhp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm

lizzielemon wrote:Applied yesterday and went complete/ready for review today.

It took two months for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Liz_Lemon

Bronze

Post by Liz_Lemon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:19 pm

I went from complete to "in review" (or whatever the second review stage is) within a couple days. It's been almost two weeks and I'm still there.

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Liz_Lemon wrote:

I went from complete to "in review" (or whatever the second review stage is) within a couple days. It's been almost two weeks and I'm still there.
Sounds like a slow cycle!

btw - double like on your username!

adbm29

New

Post by adbm29 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Accepted on 1/23!

I'm curious if any of you are planning on attending without any scholly $$.

huskies2015

New

Post by huskies2015 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

adbm29 wrote:Accepted on 1/23!

I'm hoping to get money, but the fact that I want to practice and live in Seattle after law school means I am tempted to pay sticker if I have to. UW is very stingy with $$ typically

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Don Knotts

New

Post by Don Knotts » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:05 am

huskies2015 wrote:
adbm29 wrote:Accepted on 1/23!

I'm hoping to get money, but the fact that I want to practice and live in Seattle after law school means I am tempted to pay sticker if I have to. UW is very stingy with $$ typically
I don't think that the UW is particularly stingy from reading previous year's forums and my own experience. I would say put some thought and effort into the scholarship application and you'll probably be surprised. They're also pretty quick at getting back with an offer. It took two or three weeks after submitting the application to get a response. Good Luck

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Stinginess

UW justifies the perceived stinginess with the relatively low sticker. With that being said, a substantial donation seems to be boosting scholarship offers. A scholarship essay is required, however, so no scholarship is offered with acceptance. I think that contributes to the notoriety.

huskies2015

New

Post by huskies2015 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:24 pm

el madrileno wrote:Re: Stinginess

UW justifies the perceived stinginess with the relatively low sticker. With that being said, a substantial donation seems to be boosting scholarship offers. A scholarship essay is required, however, so no scholarship is offered with acceptance. I think that contributes to the notoriety.
I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, as similar schools have offered me substantial scholarships already. But you are right about the relatively low sticker, especially for in state. We shall see I guess!

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Has anyone else received their admissions packet from UW? I was seriously underwhelmed by it. A folder with two pieces of paper -- one generic acceptance letter, and a sheet with important dates.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but when compared to what other schools have sent me, I am disappointed. Would a view book be to much to ask considering that I am above the 75ths and I am a life-long WA resident? I guess I am not a special snowflake :( .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:56 pm

i just started to study for the feb lsat today when i got the email
this will make it official: there are four schools with the word "washington" in its name, and this wld be my fourth school that i got in
whooo
i wld love to live in seattle~~~~~~!!!! see u all at asw!!

edited to add that im splitting reversely. theres hope for us. if u r out there, dont giv up never giv up

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 am

In via e-mail. Submitted early January. Splitter.

If they match the $$$ I got from higher ranked schools I will likely be in Seattle in the fall.
Last edited by giantswan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:51 am

Re Stinginess
Whats the deal with the scholarships?
Do they not make an offer unless u submit the 500-word essay?
Is it still true that they dont give u instate tuition in ur 2L and 3L even tho u want to settle in washington state?
is seattle still hard to break into?
does their LRAP suck?

im really worried about their reputable stinginess. even tho their tuitn is on the lower side, at the end of the day, i am seeing that its coming to pretty even n comparable with some higher ranked schools--which worries me

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 am

o yea i forgot to add that its superbowl tmrw.
we are rooting for the same team right?
...riiight?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”