University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcmand

Silver

Re: University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015)

Post by mcmand » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwwwwww

New

Post by uwwwwww » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 pm

rkspurs21 wrote:
uwwwwww wrote:Regarding UW Merit Based Scholarships:

Lol thx for the insight. I submitted in November, was accepted in January above both 75ths, five years of work experience and compelling reasons to attend, and got nothin. Again, only school I've been accepted to that offered nothing, and it's the second-lowest ranked I applied to. Your theory doesn't hold up. And if you'd been keeping track, the first scholarships just went out last week. Not exactly "early in the cycle", I'd say they do have a problem.
I apologize that you had such a negative experience rkspurs21. However, as an applicant who DID receive a sizable scholarship offer I would reiterate to future applicants that completing your merit/need based aid essay as soon as possible after being offered admission is an extremely important factor in determining what you'll be awarded. Contrary to rkspurs21 assertion, scholarship packages are extended on a rolling basis as I received my offer by the end of January and furthermore the office of admissions has been communicative and supportive throughout the entire process.

Again because the UW offers a greatly reduced sticker price for in-state students that is money not available for scholarships. I am sure that you would find a similar instance of this at state schools with significant disparities between in-state and out-of-state tuition such as Alabama and Iowa. Whereas state schools closer to the top of the rankings, such as Virginia and Michigan, offer much smaller differences in tuition so as to reserve that money, much like private schools, to chase 170s and therefore a higher US News ranking. As rkspurs21 illustrates, being the 75th percentile will probably guarantee you admission at the uw but for better or worse it's not going to guarantee you a scholarship. The UW is not going to be the best ranked school that a majority of its matriculants are accepted to and the UW knows that. So in order to get dat $ you need to show that family, hiking, and seafood are way more important to you than attending a slightly higher ranked school. You do this by ditching the copy/paste scholarship essay every applicant has and by being excessively punctual with your submissions.

FregesPuzzle

New

Post by FregesPuzzle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 am

I take it everyone received that email about the gregoire fellowship? Seems odd they would send this after the scholarship awards. If we've already received $ I guess just apply anyway? I wouldn't mind going into school with a summer job set up. Is this a white men need not apply thing? Also I can't help but think that those firms/companies were going to bring in X number of UW people anyway and if they get one through the fellowship that's one less spot for the rest of us. This is somewhat zero-sum right?

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:29 am

FregesPuzzle wrote:I take it everyone received that email about the gregoire fellowship? Seems odd they would send this after the scholarship awards. If we've already received $ I guess just apply anyway? I wouldn't mind going into school with a summer job set up. Is this a white men need not apply thing? Also I can't help but think that those firms/companies were going to bring in X number of UW people anyway and if they get one through the fellowship that's one less spot for the rest of us. This is somewhat zero-sum right?
I also go that email! It seems strange they would email us about it a week before the deadline

sometime82

New

Post by sometime82 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Did anyone get a priority WL ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:23 pm

uwwwwww wrote:Again because the UW offers a greatly reduced sticker price for in-state students that is money not available for scholarships. I am sure that you would find a similar instance of this at state schools with significant disparities between in-state and out-of-state tuition such as Alabama and Iowa. Whereas state schools closer to the top of the rankings, such as Virginia and Michigan, offer much smaller differences in tuition so as to reserve that money, much like private schools, to chase 170s and therefore a higher US News ranking. As rkspurs21 illustrates, being the 75th percentile will probably guarantee you admission at the uw but for better or worse it's not going to guarantee you a scholarship. The UW is not going to be the best ranked school that a majority of its matriculants are accepted to and the UW knows that. So in order to get dat $ you need to show that family, hiking, and seafood are way more important to you than attending a slightly higher ranked school. You do this by ditching the copy/paste scholarship essay every applicant has and by being excessively punctual with your submissions.
Man, I have personally found this to be untrue. I'm a WA resident, but U of AL scholarship would make it cheaper, just in tuition, to go there as opposed to UW. UW kind of seems like the "I couldn't get into USC or higher but am afraid to leave the west coast and don't care about debt or daddy's got the tab, school."............

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:13 am

mcmand wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
uwwwwww wrote:Again because the UW offers a greatly reduced sticker price for in-state students that is money not available for scholarships. I am sure that you would find a similar instance of this at state schools with significant disparities between in-state and out-of-state tuition such as Alabama and Iowa. Whereas state schools closer to the top of the rankings, such as Virginia and Michigan, offer much smaller differences in tuition so as to reserve that money, much like private schools, to chase 170s and therefore a higher US News ranking. As rkspurs21 illustrates, being the 75th percentile will probably guarantee you admission at the uw but for better or worse it's not going to guarantee you a scholarship. The UW is not going to be the best ranked school that a majority of its matriculants are accepted to and the UW knows that. So in order to get dat $ you need to show that family, hiking, and seafood are way more important to you than attending a slightly higher ranked school. You do this by ditching the copy/paste scholarship essay every applicant has and by being excessively punctual with your submissions.
Man, I have personally found this to be untrue. I'm a WA resident, but U of AL scholarship would make it cheaper, just in tuition, to go there as opposed to UW. UW kind of seems like the "I couldn't get into USC or higher but am afraid to leave the west coast and don't care about debt or daddy's got the tab, school."............
That's hilarious to me, because the types of people who go to USC are the types of people where daddy's got the tab in my anecdotal experiences. Most of my classmates at UW Law (and in undergrad at UW) are definitely not from super-affluent backgrounds.

I think this illustrates an important point about the nature of talking about which law school is "better." People at one law school will talk poorly about another, but it's almost always secondhand or something they were told from someone else who heard it secondhand. They never actually attended the school, so their information is based on news media (limited), or third parties.

If you want to make huge generalizations about UW Law or any other law school, you should at least couch it with that: "Hey, UW is a law school of spoiled kids, but I actually have no idea because I've never matriculated there." Same goes for any other law school, including the comment I made about USC.
I think its pretty clear that I am not matriculating to UW, so it probably goes without saying. The price of attendance, however, and their "stinginess" with schollys is frustrating. I would love to return to the motherland, but it would be a terrible financial/professional decision.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tealeaves12

Bronze

Post by tealeaves12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 am

JHP wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting!
I withdrew as well. had $0 in scholarship, so no help there, but good luck to those waiting!

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:33 am

tealeaves12 wrote:
I withdrew as well. had $0 in scholarship, so no help there, but good luck to those waiting!
What made you decide to withdraw?

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 pm

For those withdrawing, how did you do it? Did you just email admissions? I don't see anywhere on the admitted students portal to submit a decision.

parisian

New

Post by parisian » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Did anyone go to ASW? Was it good/informative? I couldn't come so would be nice to hear some opinions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ver91

New

Post by Ver91 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:42 pm

For those of you who (like me) didn't receive any or enough scholarship $$, are you writing a letter to UW or just hoping they will increase $$? I received nothing (applied in February and sent in the scholly app the day it was due, which was also a day after my acceptance but whatever). I was told in their email that they would re-evaluate on the 15th. Should we ask for deposit extensions? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

mak04

New

Post by mak04 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 am

Ver91 wrote:For those of you who (like me) didn't receive any or enough scholarship $$, are you writing a letter to UW or just hoping they will increase $$? I received nothing (applied in February and sent in the scholly app the day it was due, which was also a day after my acceptance but whatever). I was told in their email that they would re-evaluate on the 15th. Should we ask for deposit extensions? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am in the same boat! I need to know if they will increase my offer!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:49 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tealeaves12

Bronze

Post by tealeaves12 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:28 am

mak04 wrote:
tealeaves12 wrote:
What made you decide to withdraw?
Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

I got $0 to UW, but generous scholarships to every other school I was accepted into. UW was one of the lowest ranked schools I applied to. I had nothing less than half tuition scholarships at every other school. This combined with the fact that I've never even been to Seattle or seen much of the West Coast at all convinced me that it wasn't worth it. Seems like a fine law school, just not for that price and risk.

edit - and to those wondering how to withdraw - I just sent an email to the matthew le email address. he never responded to me but I got an email from the university itself confirming my withdrawal and asking me to take a survey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cassandra123

New

Post by Cassandra123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Please, for the sake of waitlisted candidates everywhere, if you've been accepted, but have decided NOT to attend UW (or any other law school for that matter), please please please send an email to admissions and AFFIRMATIVELY WITHDRAW. It really helps to move things along. And good karma will follow you wherever you go.

Thank you!

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Cassandra123 wrote:Please, for the sake of waitlisted candidates everywhere, if you've been accepted, but have decided NOT to attend UW (or any other law school for that matter), please please please send an email to admissions and AFFIRMATIVELY WITHDRAW. It really helps to move things along. And good karma will follow you wherever you go.

Thank you!
Sending my e-mail to withdraw today, $$ back in the pot.

Got a Non-Resident fee-waiver and a scholarship but not as much as I needed to attend. Good luck to those of you still waiting.

Cassandra123

New

Post by Cassandra123 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:23 pm

giantswan wrote:
Cassandra123 wrote:Please, for the sake of waitlisted candidates everywhere, if you've been accepted, but have decided NOT to attend UW (or any other law school for that matter), please please please send an email to admissions and AFFIRMATIVELY WITHDRAW. It really helps to move things along. And good karma will follow you wherever you go.

Thank you!
Sending my e-mail to withdraw today, $$ back in the pot.

Got a Non-Resident fee-waiver and a scholarship but not as much as I needed to attend. Good luck to those of you still waiting.
Best of luck to you, giantswan, at whatever law school you attend!

Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New

Post by Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Has ANYONE successfully negiotated more money? I got shot down too...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mono

New

Post by Mono » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Last edited by Mono on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huskies2015

New

Post by huskies2015 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Just made it official - I will be attending in the fall! Very excited to be in Seattle

Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New

Post by Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Out of state people: does anyone of anyone know if there are any tricks towards eventually getting in-state tuition 2 or 3L? From what I've read online there seems to be no way to achieve that.

I grew up in Seattle but moved away for a few years. Was curious if any weird loopholes exist. I imagine this is unlikely, but one can dream

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”