University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Re: University of Washington c/o 2018 (2014-2015)

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 am

LawsRUs wrote:Re Stinginess
Whats the deal with the scholarships?
Do they not make an offer unless u submit the 500-word essay?
Is it still true that they dont give u instate tuition in ur 2L and 3L even tho u want to settle in washington state?
is seattle still hard to break into?
does their LRAP suck?

im really worried about their reputable stinginess. even tho their tuitn is on the lower side, at the end of the day, i am seeing that its coming to pretty even n comparable with some higher ranked schools--which worries me
It might be a WA policy or something but for undergrad I had a friend who moved from Minnesota to attend and he tried to have his tuition price changed because he had continuously lived in the state for more than two years. The school told him that when you are a student they don't count you as a resident no matter how long you've lived there unless you are no longer in school. It might be the same for law school and graduate school in WA. In undergrad I had assumed it was this way in all states but I've never looked into it. Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Last edited by EvergreenStateLady on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:47 am

LawsRUs wrote:o yea i forgot to add that its superbowl tmrw.
we are rooting for the same team right?
...riiight?
Oh definitely yeah! :mrgreen:
Go 'hawks!
Born and raised in Seattle!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:56 am

^^^^ thanks for the info really do appreciate it. ya thats what ive heard for tuitn

karloswhelms

New

Post by karloswhelms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Has anyone had trouble accessing the admitted students portal? I have been trying to access it this past month to finish up the scholarship application but I keep receiving an invalid log in error. I was previously able to access it, but now I cannot. Do the temporary password and username reset after a while to something else?

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:18 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:Re Stinginess
Whats the deal with the scholarships?
Do they not make an offer unless u submit the 500-word essay?
Is it still true that they dont give u instate tuition in ur 2L and 3L even tho u want to settle in washington state?
is seattle still hard to break into?
does their LRAP suck?

im really worried about their reputable stinginess. even tho their tuitn is on the lower side, at the end of the day, i am seeing that its coming to pretty even n comparable with some higher ranked schools--which worries me
It might be a WA policy or something but for undergrad I had a friend who moved from Minnesota to attend and he tried to have his tuition price changed because he had continuously lived in the state for more than two years. The school told him that when you are a student they don't count you as a resident no matter how long you've lived there unless you are no longer in school. It might be the same for law school and graduate school in WA. In undergrad I had assumed it was this way in all states but I've never looked into it. Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Just found something on it. This is the exact law:

Residency Classification Information
For a student to be classified as a "resident" for tuition and fee purposes, he or she must prove by evidence of a sufficient quantity and quality to satisfy the institution that he or she:

(a) Has established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than educational for the period of one year immediately prior to commencement of the first day of the semester or quarter for which he or she has registered at any institution and

(b) Is financially independent; or

(c) Is a dependent student, one or both of whose parents or legal guardians have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year immediately prior to the commencement of the semester or quarter for which the student has registered at any institution.

A nonresident student who is enrolled for more than six (6) hours per semester or quarter shall be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless such student proves that he or she has, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than educational.

So once you start attending a university here unless you already have lived here a year before hand there is no way to have in-state tuition. Unless you were to quit school for a year and then go back to school which will totally happen right? :roll: :wink:

I always assumed this was the case in all states so now I'm curious which states do and do not have laws like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:34 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^^^ thanks for the info really do appreciate it. ya thats what ive heard for tuitn
You're welcome! :D
Good luck with getting scholarship money!

Seattle's a great city and WA is an amazing state, I hope you'll be able to afford UW Law. We have the best weather in my opinion since it's so temperate here. Sure it's rainy and gray in the winter but in the summer we usually get great weather, probably the best summer weather in the country. Though sometimes I wish we would get more snow in the lowlands but I'm certain for that to happen we'd have to have humid summers and colder winters which I wouldn't trade for.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:05 pm

omg thanks so much for finding that info--i wldve never found it myself. really helpful
and i agree that seattle is a great city, and washington, state.
thank u !! i hope i can afford it :mrgreen:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

karloswhelms wrote:Has anyone had trouble accessing the admitted students portal? I have been trying to access it this past month to finish up the scholarship application but I keep receiving an invalid log in error. I was previously able to access it, but now I cannot. Do the temporary password and username reset after a while to something else?
o ya i had some trouble logging in at first. i tried typing my username without any spaces and voila i was able to log on. if u still hv trouble tho, emailing is the best way to go there

huskies2015

New

Post by huskies2015 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 pm

EvergreenStateLady wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:^^^^ thanks for the info really do appreciate it. ya thats what ive heard for tuitn
You're welcome! :D
Good luck with getting scholarship money!

Seattle's a great city and WA is an amazing state, I hope you'll be able to afford UW Law. We have the best weather in my opinion since it's so temperate here. Sure it's rainy and gray in the winter but in the summer we usually get great weather, probably the best summer weather in the country. Though sometimes I wish we would get more snow in the lowlands but I'm certain for that to happen we'd have to have humid summers and colder winters which I wouldn't trade for.
+1. From a fellow WA resident, Seattle is amazing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pbajsandwich

New

Post by pbajsandwich » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:12 pm

I was accepted in the beginning of the year, but have yet to hear anything scholarship related. Everyone else still in the dark?

adbm29

New

Post by adbm29 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 pm

pbajsandwich wrote:I was accepted in the beginning of the year, but have yet to hear anything scholarship related. Everyone else still in the dark?
I believe you have to write their scholarship essay which is available through their admitted student portal online. They should have sent you login info once accepted.

pbajsandwich

New

Post by pbajsandwich » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:34 pm

adbm29 wrote:
pbajsandwich wrote:I was accepted in the beginning of the year, but have yet to hear anything scholarship related. Everyone else still in the dark?
I believe you have to write their scholarship essay which is available through their admitted student portal online. They should have sent you login info once accepted.
Whoops, I forgot to mention that I submitted the scholarship essay two weeks ago. I'm just curious if anyone has received any news.

gneron

New

Post by gneron » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 pm

My status changed today (2/9) to "Decision Made" but I now see the following:

Scholarship Application - Due March 15
Deposit Paid - Due May 1
Official Transcript - Due July 31

I don't remember seeing that before, and I'm hoping for good news!
Anyone else see this happen before?

Edit: Just got the acceptance email!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LVbucknell

Bronze

Post by LVbucknell » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:28 pm

waitlisted :/

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Rejected! Haha oh well good luck to everyone

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 pm

^^ D; so sorry to hear that
-----------
i got my folder today but no info on $. how does it come? has anyone gotten it yet? how long did it take?
thanks !!

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Went in review today. How long do they usually take to make a decision?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:58 pm

lizzielemon wrote:Went in review today. How long do they usually take to make a decision?
heyy lizzie!! :D
UW took me eight weeks exactly--ugh i kno
good luck :D

lizzielemon

Bronze

Post by lizzielemon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:54 am

LawsRUs wrote:
lizzielemon wrote:Went in review today. How long do they usually take to make a decision?

8 weeks?? aww mannn :( that's going to take a lot of beers to get through!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:58 am

lizzielemon wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:

8 weeks?? aww mannn :( that's going to take a lot of beers to get through!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hopefully it's quicker for you; i hv weird numbers, so that might hv taken them so long :mrgreen:

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Has anyone recently received a mass e-mail from the UW Asst. Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid, Mathiew Le, regarding fee waiver, impressive stats, encouraging you to apply? Does anyone know if this is an attempt to boost the number of applicants?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Liz_Lemon

Bronze

Post by Liz_Lemon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 am

I was accepted last week, applied in mid-January and went complete a few days later. PM me if you're interested in stats. I haven't looked at the scholarship essay yet, but I'm excited to have UW as an option. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those accepted!

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:43 pm

I was accepted out of state last Friday with pretty modest stats. PM for details. I'll still be applying for the scholarship, in hopes of just getting some $ that = in-state tuition. This school is so awesome and seems to be on the rise. The cathedral library is epic too. Can't wait for ASD and my first visit to seattle. Only thing really holding me back is that I have no ties to Seattle at all...

Good luck to all those still waiting!

TheMick

New

Post by TheMick » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Waitlisted

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 am

^^ shucks, sorry to hear that :(
----------
any word lately on scholarships?

o shoot, do we have to write an essay for scholarships? when is that due? totally forgot

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”