University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Texas Resident?

"Texas Forever"
26%
Yes
18%
No
56%

Total votes: 192

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 am

choward014 wrote:
PN-G bamakid wrote:C/O 2018 applicant here with a 167 and a 3.63. Going into my senior year at Alabama, but I'm a native Texan through and through looking to come home.
Where ya from?

Also, how generous is UT usually with money? I know they have a matching policy. Have they raised their initial offers significantly to match? And when they do match, what do they base it on? Like would they match the $$ from like SMU because its geographic competition, or would they only do it to a school like Vandy, who is actual competition in the rankings
The latter. From my experience they don't give a shit about SMU/UH, and it's pretty difficult to get enough money from Vandy to make it cheaper than UT. UT is generally fairly stingy with negotiating, but they open up a lot after the first deposit is in and they know exactly who they need to hit their numbers. Never stop asking them for more money, you've got nothing to lose.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:
PN-G bamakid wrote:C/O 2018 applicant here with a 167 and a 3.63. Going into my senior year at Alabama, but I'm a native Texan through and through looking to come home.
Where ya from?

Also, how generous is UT usually with money? I know they have a matching policy. Have they raised their initial offers significantly to match? And when they do match, what do they base it on? Like would they match the $$ from like SMU because its geographic competition, or would they only do it to a school like Vandy, who is actual competition in the rankings
The latter. From my experience they don't give a shit about SMU/UH, and it's pretty difficult to get enough money from Vandy to make it cheaper than UT. UT is generally fairly stingy with negotiating, but they open up a lot after the first deposit is in and they know exactly who they need to hit their numbers. Never stop asking them for more money, you've got nothing to lose.
So, what's the point of the matching policy if all of the schools its willing to match are significantly more expensive to go to in the first place?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 am

choward014 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:
Where ya from?

So, what's the point of the matching policy if all of the schools its willing to match are significantly more expensive to go to in the first place?
That's pretty much what I thought when going through the process. It basically ends up working the same as every other school. If you have the numbers and they really want you, they'll "match" your COA, but they're well aware that their in-state + a scholly is going to be cheaper than their peer schools + big scholly. I got pretty lucky that WUSTL just started offering full rides to withdrawn students during the middle of the summer or I never would have upped my offer.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 am

Okay. It's a great value school for its spot on the rankings, its just that every dollar helps. They usually give grants too, right? I'm in state though, maybe that'll help. I'm a splitter, and I'm just not sure that, even with a 170 retake, they'll offer much $$$. Still probably cheaper than most other options besides like TTU or OU or something, but still

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:
Where ya from?

I had the same question, and that's good information. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 am

choward014 wrote:
Where ya from?

I'm from a small town about 90 miles east of Houston called Port Neches.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:25 am

choward014 wrote:Okay. It's a great value school for its spot on the rankings, its just that every dollar helps. They usually give grants too, right? I'm in state though, maybe that'll help. I'm a splitter, and I'm just not sure that, even with a 170 retake, they'll offer much $$$. Still probably cheaper than most other options besides like TTU or OU or something, but still
Grant for first year was $3k, 2nd is like $2k or something. This seems pretty universal from what I've seen for in-state people. I'm not sure 170 would make much difference given their 75th is (iirc) 168. I had 3.2/170 and got $12k/yr initially, and got it bumped to $20k after the gift from the WUSTL gods during the summer. They are paying for LSAT scores much more now than in the past, so I'd be surprised if u got offered less than $10k/yr.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:Okay. It's a great value school for its spot on the rankings, its just that every dollar helps. They usually give grants too, right? I'm in state though, maybe that'll help. I'm a splitter, and I'm just not sure that, even with a 170 retake, they'll offer much $$$. Still probably cheaper than most other options besides like TTU or OU or something, but still
Grant for first year was $3k, 2nd is like $2k or something. This seems pretty universal from what I've seen for in-state people. I'm not sure 170 would make much difference given their 75th is (iirc) 168. I had 3.2/170 and got $12k/yr initially, and got it bumped to $20k after the gift from the WUSTL gods during the summer. They are paying for LSAT scores much more now than in the past, so I'd be surprised if u got offered less than $10k/yr.
That would be fantastic. Seriously. A lot hinges on this LSAT but I'd be extremely happy with >15k/ yr. Are you a resident?

edit: never mind, just checked your pro. UT has always been my #1 choice. The quality of life in austin exceeds almost all other schools and its close to home. I've always been an OU football fan, but I could get over it if I got in.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:30 am

PN-G bamakid wrote:
choward014 wrote:
Where ya from?

oh okay, cuz a lot of kids in the DFW area went to Bama

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Post by PN-G bamakid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 am

choward014 wrote:
PN-G bamakid wrote:
choward014 wrote:
Where ya from?

oh okay, cuz a lot of kids in the DFW area went to Bama
They did. I know a lot of fellow Texans from the metroplex who go to school with me at Alabama. Houston and Austin are well represented as well.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 am

choward014 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
That would be fantastic. Seriously. A lot hinges on this LSAT but I'd be extremely happy with >15k/ yr. Are you a resident?

edit: never mind, just checked your pro. UT has always been my #1 choice. The quality of life in austin exceeds almost all other schools and its close to home. I've always been an OU football fan, but I could get over it if I got in.
We may not be able to be friends anymore. (Okstate grad). But srsly, good luck sir.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 am

In terms of matching, I got no bump. Was a splitter who was initially offered $0, then bumped to $7k, then nothing after matching. Plus grants I think I got $4,200 this year (in state). I was a 168/<3.0 splitter from STEM.

OKState grad? How'd it feel losing to OU this year :P

Ninja Edit: Please don't hate me for this comment. I can haz outlines please?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 am

Attax wrote:In terms of matching, I got no bump. Was a splitter who was initially offered $0, then bumped to $7k, then nothing after matching. Plus grants I think I got $4,200 this year (in state). I was a 168/<3.0 splitter from STEM.

:( Worst gut punch game ever. Especially because it was RIGHT before finals, and I literally had to go straight from watching the game to our Torts class review session.

You guys can post when you have your profs and I'll send you outlines if I have them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:58 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Attax wrote:In terms of matching, I got no bump. Was a splitter who was initially offered $0, then bumped to $7k, then nothing after matching. Plus grants I think I got $4,200 this year (in state). I was a 168/<3.0 splitter from STEM.

:( Worst gut punch game ever. Especially because it was RIGHT before finals, and I literally had to go straight from watching the game to our Torts class review session.

You guys can post when you have your profs and I'll send you outlines if I have them.
We should be getting schedules Friday according to what we were told at party on the patio.

That blows, I didn't think about it being during finals. I was up in Waco at the UT/Baylor game and everyone was cheering for OU. Probably the only time in history that has ever happened.

mccllln2

New

Post by mccllln2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:59 am

checking in!

dallas0013

New

Post by dallas0013 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Will be around here some too. Above 75% LSAT, below 25% GPA. Texas resident.

cuboxing25

Bronze

Post by cuboxing25 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm

checking in!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Added a poll, would love ideas for future polls!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:37 pm

a poll about which month people are applying in seems to be the common poll for these threads so far. Whether it's ED, November, or 2015

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Post by gentlemanscholar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Checking in. Seriously considering UT.

cuboxing25

Bronze

Post by cuboxing25 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm

are out of stater's at a disadvantage?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm

cuboxing25 wrote:are out of stater's at a disadvantage?
A little, I'm pretty sure. In staters usually get the advantage $$$ wise and I think I heard someone say that 65% of their class HAS to be from Texas. Not positive, I'm sure someone will clarify.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

choward014 wrote:
A little, I'm pretty sure. In staters usually get the advantage $$$ wise and I think I heard someone say that 65% of their class HAS to be from Texas. Not positive, I'm sure someone will clarify.
Accurate. Out of staters are actually at a pretty enormous disadvantage. Both because admissions is forced to strongly prefer residents and because in-state is just so much damn cheaper. UT has by far the biggest discrepancy between in-state and out of state tuition of any decent school. If you are really out of state and want UT I strongly suggest moving to Texas for at least one year and working before applying (which I did with great success). UT is just unlikely to be worth it for almost any out of state student, because even if it is the best option available, your actual best option is almost certainly to retake the LSAT.
Last edited by WokeUpInACar on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

From the UT website

"Is it true that the Law School only admits 35% of its students from out of state?

No, the Law School may matriculate no more than 35% nonresident students; however, each year the Law School extends offers of admission to several hundred nonresident applicants."

So are out of staters at a disadvantage? I would say no, but in-staters are at a slight advantage. for every out of stater admitted, they have to be offset by in state students.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Dream_weaver32 wrote:
From the UT website

"Is it true that the Law School only admits 35% of its students from out of state?

No, the Law School may matriculate no more than 35% nonresident students; however, each year the Law School extends offers of admission to several hundred nonresident applicants."

So are out of staters at a disadvantage? I would say no, but in-staters are at a slight advantage. for every out of stater admitted, they have to be offset by in state students.
It's all a crap shoot, honestly. I was an out-of-state super splitter who got in with the very first wave of ED admits this cycle. The school actually re-classified me as in-state a few months later, though, which was a nice surprise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”