University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Texas Resident?

"Texas Forever"
26%
Yes
18%
No
56%

Total votes: 192

xylocarp

Platinum

Re: University of Texas C/O 18 Applicants

Post by xylocarp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 am

app received! they seem to be saying that they're not even going to give a status checker, which is nbd anyway given the experience of last year's applicants
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 am

Same with the app received email. Since I applied RD, will they wait to even look at my app until after they've done all the ED applicants? Or do they look at them all on a rolling basis

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:26 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
McAvoy wrote:
Attax wrote:
NoLieAbility wrote:Yep, I just sent mine in too.

UT Law is my number one choice. (Assuming they back a dump truck full of money to my front door.)
BTW if you are a TX resident or have parents who are TX residents who were in the military you can get Hazelwood Funding
Also if you're a TX resident you will get a 3-4K stipend every year tacked on to your scholarship. They don't really advertise it but everyone gets it.
Really? On top of the offer, you get 3-4k a year?
Yep!

Also, tried taking a SS of the "status checker" page but alas I no longer have access to it.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 pm

p1921 wrote:Same with the app received email. Since I applied RD, will they wait to even look at my app until after they've done all the ED applicants? Or do they look at them all on a rolling basis
Just chill. You've got your app in early; if they want you, they'll let you know before the year's out.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:06 pm

McAvoy wrote:
p1921 wrote:Same with the app received email. Since I applied RD, will they wait to even look at my app until after they've done all the ED applicants? Or do they look at them all on a rolling basis
Just chill. You've got your app in early; if they want you, they'll let you know before the year's out.
This. I had a turn around time of 17 days on mine and I applied late Nov.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Submitted!

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

Got my status checker this morning! It was really annoying to set up though because it made me change my password three separate times and then wouldn't let me log on for some reason. ANYWAY. It says my application file is complete!

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:38 am

I got the same thing, but I gave up after two password changes. It let you in after your third?

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 am

NoLieAbility wrote:I got the same thing, but I gave up after two password changes. It let you in after your third?
I ended up clicking on "forgot password" because I couldn't think of what else to do. Then I got an email to reset the password and it finally worked after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 am

lilith66 wrote:I ended up clicking on "forgot password" because I couldn't think of what else to do. Then I got an email to reset the password and it finally worked after that.
Protip. Thanks.

wanderlust15

New

Post by wanderlust15 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Checking in! Texas is my #1 choice. We'll see how this December LSAT goes...
Best of luck to everyone applying!

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Checking in!

Veronica2015

New

Post by Veronica2015 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Checking in! I tried to solicit a fee waiver but they replied no fee waiver on requests. Has anyone successfully solicited one? My numbers should be good for them.

BTW, best luck to all of you in this cycle!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Veronica2015 wrote:Checking in! I tried to solicit a fee waiver but they replied no fee waiver on requests. Has anyone successfully solicited one? My numbers should be good for them.

BTW, best luck to all of you in this cycle!
TX residents should have automatically received one I believe, I don't know about OOS. If you've got good numbers they may send you one later.

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:21 am

Hey all, I'm considering adding UT to my list of applications. Wondering if anyone here could give me some insight. I'm from Canada and would be applying with a GPA at their median, and still waiting on my LSAT score but it should hopefully be above the 75th.

Am I disadvantaged further than OOS applicants as I'd be international? Will I have much opportunity for scholarships?

Finally, does anyone have any insight on the job market for someone in my position? I don't have any ties to Texas other than I love warm weather year round and the low cost of living. I have spent some time in Houston which I loved, and could absolutely see myself living there. I would be going with a BigLaw or bust mentality. If my chances at BigLaw aren't very good, I probably will not apply.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:31 am

P.J.Fry wrote:Hey all, I'm considering adding UT to my list of applications. Wondering if anyone here could give me some insight. I'm from Canada and would be applying with a GPA at their median, and still waiting on my LSAT score but it should hopefully be above the 75th.

Am I disadvantaged further than OOS applicants as I'd be international? Will I have much opportunity for scholarships?

Finally, does anyone have any insight on the job market for someone in my position? I don't have any ties to Texas other than I love warm weather year round and the low cost of living. I have spent some time in Houston which I loved, and could absolutely see myself living there. I would be going with a BigLaw or bust mentality. If my chances at BigLaw aren't very good, I probably will not apply.
With zero ties I don't think your big law chances are very good. I would look elsewhere and focus on NYC big law if big law is the dream.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

BigZuck wrote:
P.J.Fry wrote:Hey all, I'm considering adding UT to my list of applications. Wondering if anyone here could give me some insight. I'm from Canada and would be applying with a GPA at their median, and still waiting on my LSAT score but it should hopefully be above the 75th.

With zero ties I don't think your big law chances are very good. I would look elsewhere and focus on NYC big law if big law is the dream.
Yep if you can get into UT you can get in to Cornell or Mich pretty easily; those seem like much better options for someone like you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

McAvoy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Yep if you can get into UT you can get in to Cornell or Mich pretty easily; those seem like much better options for someone like you
Thanks for the input. I was just entertaining the idea of Texas because of its low COL relative to NYC, and I very much do enjoy warm weather year round. Doesn't make any sense if I'm unlikely to be able to get a job though.

Just for argument's sake, would my BigLaw chances be significantly affected if I could place top 10% of the class? Or are the lack of ties to Texas really going to be a determining factor?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

You'd definitely have a better shot if 10%, of course. But you don't go to schools based on such assumptions. If you really want TX but don't have any reason to be in TX, it'll probably be easier/safer to try for Houston/Dallas w/ good grades from a T14, where it is also easier to break into other markets (whereas UT gives you a good shot at TX and a below-average shot elsewhere compared to its peers).

I'm just a 1L who hasn't gone through OCI, but, as someone with went to UT w/ zero ties to TX, I'm starting to wish that I would have listened a little more to BigZuck last spring when he warned me that UT might not make the most sense.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Coming in I was greater than 75th LSAT/around the 75th gpa and I finished 1L around the top 3rd. Of course top 10%, law review, things like that will help your big law odds but there's no way you can predict that. There's people with lower entering stats than me who finished significantly higher in the class and I wouldn't be shocked if there were people with better stats than me who finished lower than me. It's just way too unpredictable. Top 10% isn't an easy feat. I obviously couldn't do it, and I've always performed well academically.

Absolutely zero ties to Texas is just really dicey IMO. I had good Texas ties (albeit not a Texan) and nearly struck out. Could have been other factors weighing against me but it's hard to assess all that stuff objectively.

If someone wants big law and they don't have ties to TX then they should go to a T14, IMO. That's what the T14 is for. UT is a great option for Texans or people who really want to stay in Texas and can go for cheap so in the (likely) scenario that they don't get big law they will be ok financially. Great outcomes can be had from UT but it's hard to predict how well you will do 1L year and T14s give you a much better margin for error.

I don't want to be a downer or make it sound like I don't like UT, it has been great to me so far and I think it's a great school Anyone can always feel free to PM me if they care to hear more or have specific questions.

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks for the responses! The information is very helpful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:11 pm

3.6x/167

Good luck guys

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 pm

thought you weren't going to release it?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:25 pm

I didn't release specifics initially, but since you gave it over in the other thread I'd share it.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

... just making sure the first source got credit for breaking it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”