University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cron1834

Gold

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:55 pm

LOL @ this. I withdrew a week ago (was admitted), so I figured I was done being on their email lisTTT.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 pm

deegol wrote:
givemescholly wrote:
klondike5 wrote:
fluffle277 wrote:I called them, they "sent it to the wrong list"... nice....
I came just to see if I was the only one. This is not the first school to do this to me this year, I believe it is actually the third. The next school who does it is getting a response about how I am glad they reconsidered and I will be there for whatever the event is. I am up for that awkward conversation.
If I didn't live in North Carolina, I would be down for crashing the party with a bunch of jilted TLSers! :twisted: I'm surprised they haven't sent out any sort of correction.
Dear UW,

Omg i'm like totally like excited to be reconsidered. My dad just bought me a plane ticket and we are flying out. Lets meet for coffee? How do i pay my deposit.
+10000 dooo itttt. I wonder if a school will just be like, "ok!"

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:06 pm

janetdoe wrote:
deegol wrote:
givemescholly wrote:
klondike5 wrote:I came just to see if I was the only one. This is not the first school to do this to me this year, I believe it is actually the third. The next school who does it is getting a response about how I am glad they reconsidered and I will be there for whatever the event is. I am up for that awkward conversation.
If I didn't live in North Carolina, I would be down for crashing the party with a bunch of jilted TLSers! :twisted: I'm surprised they haven't sent out any sort of correction.
Dear UW,

Omg i'm like totally like excited to be reconsidered. My dad just bought me a plane ticket and we are flying out. Lets meet for coffee? How do i pay my deposit.
+10000 dooo itttt. I wonder if a school will just be like, "ok!"
LOL I totally did this and I am not ashamed. I sent an email saying I was sure I had received the invitation by mistake, but that I would be very grateful for the opportunity to have my file reviewed again, especially because my February LSAT score improved significantly. I even attached updated copies of my PS, supplemental essay, etc. U Washington was my first choice, no way in hell was I going to pass up the chance to at least ASK to be reconsidered. I got the standard reply from the admissions office ("sorry for the mistake, but your decision stands"), but then I got a really nice personal email back from the director of admissions offering to make an appointment and discuss my application after May 2 - not to be reconsidered for this cycle, but to discuss specifics of my application which could be strengthened in case I want to reapply next year. I thought it was a very nice gesture, and it was worth a shot :-)

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 am

PattyCake wrote: LOL I totally did this and I am not ashamed. I sent an email saying I was sure I had received the invitation by mistake, but that I would be very grateful for the opportunity to have my file reviewed again, especially because my February LSAT score improved significantly. I even attached updated copies of my PS, supplemental essay, etc. U Washington was my first choice, no way in hell was I going to pass up the chance to at least ASK to be reconsidered. I got the standard reply from the admissions office ("sorry for the mistake, but your decision stands"), but then I got a really nice personal email back from the director of admissions offering to make an appointment and discuss my application after May 2 - not to be reconsidered for this cycle, but to discuss specifics of my application which could be strengthened in case I want to reapply next year. I thought it was a very nice gesture, and it was worth a shot :-)
dude, i love you. i would've done that, too. no reason to be ashamed! always good to be on top of it! you went about it the best way possible, and sounds like you were super polite. i think the school is very nice/polite, and you should meet with the director if you're serious about UW!

whale_rider0525

New

Post by whale_rider0525 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:13 am

Has anyone else sent in their deposit? I deposited in early Feb. I didn't attend ASD, would love to hear more from those of you who did. So far it sounds like it was a good experience!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 am

does anyone have any wisdom on how to solicit and receive the WA in-state-tuition fee waiver? was phone or email the best way to initiate discussions? i read that someone mentioned the FinAid office said they "ran out" of those?? o_O

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 am

whale_rider0525 wrote:Has anyone else sent in their deposit? I deposited in early Feb. I didn't attend ASD, would love to hear more from those of you who did. So far it sounds like it was a good experience!
I sent in my seat deposit the Monday after ASD. The day cinched it for me. The mock class was excellent and made me excited to start taking classes in the fall. Also, after listening to Dean Le present, I feel more confident that I can get my scholarship offer bumped up a bit after May 1st. Finally, after listening to both the current students on the scheduled panel and just pulling aside some current 1Ls and 2Ls in the hall, I think there are a plenty of excellent internship, externship and job opportunities if you're willing to put the legwork in to your grades and networking through the school's OCI events.

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm

janetdoe wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on how to solicit and receive the WA in-state-tuition fee waiver? was phone or email the best way to initiate discussions? i read that someone mentioned the FinAid office said they "ran out" of those?? o_O
In-state tuition is notoriously difficult to get from everyone I've talked to. Even if you're married (I am), it can be tricky. I've talked with current students about this, and they say it's possible if you have a spouse, but otherwise, good luck.

They only have a certain number of waivers per year, and usually give them out to top candidates as part of a merit aid package.

lbrodsky

New

Post by lbrodsky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:20 pm

UW wasn't joking when they said they don't negotiate scholarships. Now I feel awkward. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:59 pm

lbrodsky wrote:UW wasn't joking when they said they don't negotiate scholarships. Now I feel awkward. :oops:
I think they do, but they were clear that they don't talk about it until after May 1st. What happened in your situation, if I may ask?

lbrodsky

New

Post by lbrodsky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
lbrodsky wrote:UW wasn't joking when they said they don't negotiate scholarships. Now I feel awkward. :oops:
I think they do, but they were clear that they don't talk about it until after May 1st. What happened in your situation, if I may ask?
I emailed the Dean of Admissions/Financial Aid and said how much I enjoyed the Admitted Students' Day, how great I think UW is, and asked for a review of my scholarship status. (I haven't been offered one yet). And I mentioned the other schools that have offered me scholarships. The reply was nice but just said that they don't look at offers from other schools, and that they are reevaluating after today.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 am

lbrodsky wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
I emailed the Dean of Admissions/Financial Aid and said how much I enjoyed the Admitted Students' Day, how great I think UW is, and asked for a review of my scholarship status. (I haven't been offered one yet). And I mentioned the other schools that have offered me scholarships. The reply was nice but just said that they don't look at offers from other schools, and that they are reevaluating after today.
I had the exact same experience. Don't sweat it.

magnuswalton

New

Post by magnuswalton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

they told you they would be reevaluating after today? thought it was not till may 1?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lbrodsky

New

Post by lbrodsky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm

magnuswalton wrote:they told you they would be reevaluating after today? thought it was not till may 1?
They mentioned at ASD that students who have been offered scholarships have to accept or decline them by April 15, so between April 15 and May 1 they are going to offer $ that goes back into the pot to other students.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 pm

For those of you waiting on scholarship $, there's hope. I just received a huge merit scholarship, which makes UW a very viable option right now, even over NU. I also received the in-state tuition waiver. It was unsolicited. So, look for those scholarship packages rolling out late :D

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Congrats!! I assume you were notified by e-mail?

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm

pixy1900 wrote:Congrats!! I assume you were notified by e-mail?
Yes, but not the new law school email... or the one I told it to fwd to lol. I received it on my orig email (the one you give when submitting apps). Thank you so much for your kind words!! I truly thought I wouldn't receive anything, bc of the many people sharing that UW was stingy this year. I know some people were thinking about withdrawing bc they assumed they wouldn't get any money, but wait it out :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

givemescholly

New

Post by givemescholly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:35 am

Has there been any WL movement yet?

givemescholly

New

Post by givemescholly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Bump.

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Going to WD today. Really, really liked the campus and school. Wished they could have offered some more money.

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Just wanted to reiterate what someone above me said... I was given $0 originally, told them that I would love to attend but only if it was affordable (i'm out of state but with ties to Seattle) and they got back to me last week with a generous scholarship and I will most likely be depositing. So if you would go there with a scholarship, make sure they know that and be patient. I didn't believe that when I read it before, but it happened to me, so if you would attend, don't withdraw prematurely before speaking to them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

etoile

New

Post by etoile » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 pm

pixy1900 wrote:Just wanted to reiterate what someone above me said... I was given $0 originally, told them that I would love to attend but only if it was affordable (i'm out of state but with ties to Seattle) and they got back to me last week with a generous scholarship and I will most likely be depositing. So if you would go there with a scholarship, make sure they know that and be patient. I didn't believe that when I read it before, but it happened to me, so if you would attend, don't withdraw prematurely before speaking to them.
Yay, congrats!!! Glad it all turned out well for you. :)

corifornication

New

Post by corifornication » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 pm

I thought the admin said they weren't going to negotiate before May 1st. Do you think it would hurt to try and shoot them an email before then?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 pm

corifornication wrote:I thought the admin said they weren't going to negotiate before May 1st. Do you think it would hurt to try and shoot them an email before then?
You really can't wait 4 hours? :wink:

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:49 pm

cron1834 wrote:
corifornication wrote:I thought the admin said they weren't going to negotiate before May 1st. Do you think it would hurt to try and shoot them an email before then?
You really can't wait 4 hours? :wink:

He who hesitates is lost

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”