Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 am

Now that the Class of 2013 (http://www.law.illinois.edu/prospective ... sp?id=1155) has started classes I thought I would start a new thread for applicants for the next cycle. Applications will become available on September 1 and we are again waiving our application fee for all applicants.

I will use this thread to answer questions about Illinois, offer any general application advice I can, and provide updates about what is happening at the College and with our admissions process. I have also started a Twitter account (http://twitter.com/DeanPless).

Fire away.
Paul

Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:29 am

The application for the Class of 2014 is now available at --LinkRemoved--. 3 applications already in as of 7:30 this morning.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for doing this, and thanks for waiving application fees for everyone.

One question I had was about financial aid. I'm a bit older than the average applicant. When I submit financial information (FAFSA, etc), will my parents need to provide any of their information in any way?

Also, as a non-trad, I have a bit more substantial of a resume than I had when I was 22. It's possible to highlight everything on one page, but I'd rather take two pages to flesh out what I've been able to accomplish in my career. Do you think that would be reasonable?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:56 am

At Illinois we don't require your parents information, regardless of your age. If you have to provide it for other schools, we will just ignore it. (It is actually blanked out on our form)
I would rather have a 2-3 page resume that provides me with all the relevant information then have you try to compress it to one page. Once you are here our Career Planning department will get your resume in the format legal employers prefer, but in the admissions process I would rather have more information.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I am retaking the LSAT in October. I would like my file to be complete as soon as possible. Would it be advantageous to apply with my current score and place a hold on my file until the new score arrives?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 pm

buckilaw wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.
I am retaking the LSAT in October. I would like my file to be complete as soon as possible. Would it be advantageous to apply with my current score and place a hold on my file until the new score arrives? Or should I wait to apply with my new score?
Every school does this differently, but at Illinois we will hold a file if we see a pending LSAT administration. You may tell us to NOT wait, but unless you contact us we will hold the file. Given that, it is best to get the application in earlier. If you have all of the other parts of your file complete your application will move into review as soon as the new score reports. We have a paperless application process, so typically files will complete within 48 hours of your newest LSAT score reporting.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks.

sknowl01

New

Post by sknowl01 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Pless wrote:The application for the Class of 2014 is now available at --LinkRemoved--. 3 applications already in as of 7:30 this morning.
You will have my application just as soon as I finish my personal statement :)

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:23 am

Wanted to let you guys know where you will have the chance to meet a College of Law recruiter this year. Our schedule is up at --LinkRemoved--. I will be at the events in Kansas next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Oh, exciting! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am very happy with my decision to attend Illinois (just started 1L). Good luck to everyone - if you end up here, you will love it! Also, if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM - I can't promise I will be super prompt in responding, but I will try!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:02 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Oh, exciting! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am very happy with my decision to attend Illinois (just started 1L). Good luck to everyone - if you end up here, you will love it!
+1 I just want to add, this is truly a world-class law school and a great option for International applicants. I am loving my first 2 weeks as well.

sknowl01

New

Post by sknowl01 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:07 am

Do you accept diversity essays? At the moment my personal statement is just too long so I am considering moving a portion of it into a diversity essay.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:24 am

sknowl01 wrote:Do you accept diversity essays? At the moment my personal statement is just too long so I am considering moving a portion of it into a diversity essay.
We accept optional essays or addendum's. To upload them, just include it in the same file as your PS, but have it start on a new page and have a title on the top of the first page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:47 pm

We have updated our online statuses, hopefully to be a little more clear. A description of our process and the flow of our applications can be found here: --LinkRemoved--
Paul

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm actually kind of surprised at how few posts there are here!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Me too. Maybe I have answered every possible question?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Pless wrote:Me too. Maybe I have answered every possible question?
It's still early in the cycle. Also, thanks for once again providing open and valuable insight here on TLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sknowl01

New

Post by sknowl01 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Pless wrote:
sknowl01 wrote:Do you accept diversity essays? At the moment my personal statement is just too long so I am considering moving a portion of it into a diversity essay.
We accept optional essays or addendum's. To upload them, just include it in the same file as your PS, but have it start on a new page and have a title on the top of the first page.
I just sent in my application :)

I am retaking the LSAT in October so I know it will be a while before it even goes complete.

nfggcaar

New

Post by nfggcaar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Once the application status is "complete, ready for review", how long approximately until a decision is made?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:08 am

nfggcaar wrote:Once the application status is "complete, ready for review", how long approximately until a decision is made?
Normally 3-5 weeks. It depends how many are in the queue ahead of you. At this point we haven't begun reading files. We will start in late October. If you are already "complete, ready for review",you will be in the first group of decisions. A very long answer for, you will get a decision by November 15.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I am sure I will have more as the process unfolds, but what does UIUC consider "early" in the app cycle to apply? The consensus on TLS seems to be before Thanksgiving. Would you agree with this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey Dean Pless, how 'bout them Cubbies?

(Go Reds.)

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:32 am

theavrock wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I am sure I will have more as the process unfolds, but what does UIUC consider "early" in the app cycle to apply? The consensus on TLS seems to be before Thanksgiving. Would you agree with this?
I can't answer this question with respect to Illinois in particular, but for law schools in general, I think October would be early, November would be on time, and anything after Thanksgiving is late. To be safe, apply before Thanksgiving. Your numbers will get you farther, and some schools heavily front load their scholarship offers, so people who might have received substantial offers if they had applied in October get nothing because they applied in January (not UIUC, AFAIK).

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:32 am

theavrock wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I am sure I will have more as the process unfolds, but what does UIUC consider "early" in the app cycle to apply? The consensus on TLS seems to be before Thanksgiving. Would you agree with this?
I would agree. If you get your app in by Thanksgiving at Illinois you will be in the first third of applications reviewed, and that means your file will be initially reviewed at a time when we have plenty of seats available in the class. (Relatively speaking)

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:33 am

MBZags wrote:Hey Dean Pless, how 'bout them Cubbies?

(Go Reds.)
Next year, next year. Enjoy the Dusty run now, before all of your young pitchers arms fall off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”