State of permanent residency? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CAHopeful

Bronze

State of permanent residency?

Post by CAHopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 am

I have a semi-random question. I was just looking over the application I recently submitted to Loyola LA. I realized for the first time just now that when it asked for "State of permanent residency" it actually said: "State of permanent residency (in high school). This caused a mini-panic attack on my end. I attended high school in AZ, but moved to CA immediately upon graduation and have been living and renting in CA for almost two years now (and have been working full-time here the entire time). I can't believe I somehow missed that "in high school" disclaimer, though.

My question is, do you think I need to contact the admissions office and let them know of this error? I guess I would just tell them I assumed my state of permanent residency was the state I'm currently considered a resident in (I'm actually not considered a resident in AZ anymore - I'd pay out-of-state tuition there at a state school). Or does it really matter? Thanks in advance for your help!

reebtoor

Bronze

Re: State of permanent residency?

Post by reebtoor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 am

I think this question is posed this way because people often go out of state for college, and so cannot claim residency in that state. Thus, for these people, high school was the last time they were in their real state of residence. I haven't seen any application or code that defines state of residency by high school, including some in California, nor have I heard of a state not granting in-state privileges to someone who has been exclusively working full-time in that state for two years. I think you should be fine.

CAHopeful

Bronze

Post by CAHopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:46 am

I thought that, too, but think I just freaked out when I saw the "during high school" thing. Seems like it must pertain to current undergrads who went out of state for college. Thanks for the insight - I think you're right!

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 am

CAHopeful wrote:I thought that, too, but think I just freaked out when I saw the "during high school" thing. Seems like it must pertain to current undergrads who went out of state for college. Thanks for the insight - I think you're right!

search the forum for CA residency requirements. they're pretty easy; going to school there qualifies you for residency and therefore in-state tuition for the second year. but does loyola even have in-state tuition...?

CAHopeful

Bronze

Post by CAHopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 am

No, they don't have in-state tuition because they're private. So it seems like it doesn't matter, right?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 am

CAHopeful wrote:No, they don't have in-state tuition because they're private. So it seems like it doesn't matter, right?
it doesnt matter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”