Cooley PEP program Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Cooley PEP program

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 pm

jjd06e wrote:I dont get all the hate in here. My dad and my uncle both attended Cooley and both are real successful lawyers. Would it be my first choice to attend? No, but I dont get why people would come in here and rip other people for attending. Hope it makes you all feel better to rip someone elses law school
Only if that school is among the worst in the country and has a 30 percent wash out rate the first year.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:41 pm

While your dad and uncle went there and found success, they are certainly exceptions. The rule is that Cooley doesnt afford you a lot of opportunities. The schools reputation is terrible and employers are very reluctant to hire Cooley law grads. You could probably end up working for the local DA or Public Defenders office. While this isnt bad at all and quite admirable, if you have over $100k in debt upon graduation from Cooley, its a terrible postion to be in.

Good luck!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Going to Cooley means you should be very familiar with IBR. It likely will be your friend in the coming years.

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:52 am

Someone just sincerely answer the question. Constructive, candid advice is a productive way of helping one to make a measured decision about their future. But, to simply ridicule someone for fulfilling a goal is something that simply should not be tolerated. These are the same people who would make fun of me for going to McGeorge, a tier 2 school, yet still in the top 100, but simply have no barometer to measure a drive to succeed. That drive does not mean that one will successfully complete their legal education and secure a job in a top law firm. But, it certainly is a useful tool when compared to the many whom attend highly rated schools and do not take advantage of the opportunity that is presented. Not all can go to Harvard, not all can go tier 1, 2 or 3, but it does not mean they will not succeed. It may an uphill battle, but there are some poignant examples of those who have seized their opportunities and reaped great benefits. Shame on those who would belittle one for trying to better their lives and complete and education, independent of national value, that a great potion of this country do not have the chance, or requisite skill set, to do so. GO FOR IT!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 am

However, to be clearly honest I agree with many that state that the cost of attendance may simply to far below the potential return to justify attendance. It would be unwise for me to say anything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 am

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 am

I can't believe there are people who are actually sticking up for Cooley. There are a lot of people on TLS who seem to think this should be a support group where we all tell each other we're special and we should reach for our dreams of being a lawyer no matter what. Going to a school like Cooley is a terrible idea. If you are considering it, you deserve to be ridiculed. You can complain that people are being mean to you and are classless or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that they're right.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:45 am

I truly believe that if you have a useless bachelors degree and minimal or no employable skills, that going to any accredited law school is a good decision. I don't say this to coddle people who have scores that only permit them to attend Cooley. I say this because I think that, provided you graduate and pass the bar, even with 100k of debt, you are in a much better position career-wise.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am

I think people on this board are ridiculing Cooley because attending Cooley at sticker is one of the most absurdly devastating financial decisions one can make in this economic climate. And people on TLS are ridiculing, rather than giving earnest advice, because this same advice has been given ad nauseum elsewhere on this board. Are people on TLS elitist? Sure, some are. But it doesn't change the fact that going to Cooley at sticker could easily severely derail, if not ruin, one's life.

Cooley, like all law schools, is a business. Being the lowest rung of the ladder, it is only still in business because it is kept alive by uninformed/misinformed consumers who create a market for law schools which churn out grads with no employment prospects. Anyone who is seriously considering Cooley needs to do even a modicum of research - excluding asking parents or uncles who are alumni - about what it means to spend 3 years and $100K + at this place, and what the percentage chance is that it will put one in a better position in 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu May 13, 2010 4:40 pm

I love how Cooley makes their own rankings and lists themselves as in the top 10. The adiministration should have FML stuck to their forehead for eternity.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks for bringing back a thread that was thanfully dead. Lets all pile on Cooley for the 10000000000000000000000th time. We know what Cooley is, no reason to continue to bash on the school.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Thanks for bringing back a thread that was thanfully dead. Lets all pile on Cooley for the 10000000000000000000000th time. We know what Cooley is, no reason to continue to bash on the school.
As long as the school is in operation, there is a reason to bash on the school.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey I wonder if anybody knows that Cooley has their own rankings system and they put themselves in the top 10 when in fact they are not a very good school at all??

Better bump a month old thread to let everyone know about this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Thu May 13, 2010 6:16 pm

HAY GUYZ COOLEY IS TEH SUX!!!!!!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Thanks for bringing back a thread that was thanfully dead. Lets all pile on Cooley for the 10000000000000000000000th time. We know what Cooley is, no reason to continue to bash on the school.
I will never bash on a school, nor will I ever discredit someone for pursuing a legal education at an institution of a lesser stature. However, that being said, I think it is funny that a school such as Cooley, with a terrible, would make their own rankings with them in the top 10. Now that is just dumb and that deserves bashing, not the school, but their rankings.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm

really, this thread is very un-TLS.
By bashing cooley, you are basically admitting that you aren't in a position to bash non HYS, non T-14s, non T20s... you can't even bash T3s

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Guys stop bumping this thread let it die!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Tautology wrote:Guys stop bumping this thread let it die!
lol Cooley sux.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 6:22 pm

scuzle wrote:
I will never bash on a school, nor will I ever discredit someone for pursuing a legal education at an institution of a lesser stature. However, that being said, I think it is funny that a school such as Cooley, with a terrible, would make their own rankings with them in the top 10. Now that is just dumb and that deserves bashing, not the school, but their rankings.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Tautology wrote:
lol Cooley sux.
No seriously, why come in here if only to make fun of people. Lets all just stop posting, but you first.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Tautology wrote:
Tautology wrote:
lol Cooley sux.
No seriously, why come in here if only to make fun of people. Lets all just stop posting, but you first.
No u

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu May 13, 2010 6:24 pm

lawgod wrote:really, this thread is very un-TLS.
By bashing cooley, you are basically admitting that you aren't in a position to bash non HYS, non T-14s, non T20s... you can't even bash T3s
I bash any and all regionally weak, $40k+ tuition, high-attrition institutions.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Thu May 13, 2010 6:26 pm

if anyone wanted to see the rankings we're discussing

--LinkRemoved--

I'm glad to see Yale made the top 10. poor Stanford

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

lawgod wrote:if anyone wanted to see the rankings we're discussing

--LinkRemoved--

I'm glad to see Yale made the top 10. poor Stanford
University of Chicago in the 30's. Its like an alternate reality I kind of dig it.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

How many Cooley grads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 3. 2 to screw it in, and 1 to recalculate their rankings after factoring in the increased wattage output.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”