Can receiving a LSDAS waiver hurt your admissions chances? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
choculamaviva

New

Can receiving a LSDAS waiver hurt your admissions chances?

Post by choculamaviva » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 pm

This might seem like paranoia on my part, but my thought is this: if one has an LSDAS waiver, it indicates financial need. The school is then aware of the fact that this will probably be a student who will qualify for financial aid upon acceptance. With so many schools' endowments down significantly, is it possible that they would avoid accepting these students in lieu of wealthier students who are nearly as qualified? At some of these schools, we could be talking about a difference of $80k or so, which is certainly not chump change. Has anyone on here heard of this?

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Can receiving a LSDAS waiver hurt your admissions chances?

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Isn't the majority of need based aid in the form of government subsidized loans?

choculamaviva

New

Post by choculamaviva » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm referring to need-based grants. The cost at several of the top schools is around 200k, including living expenses. In the case of a very poor person, there would still be a large portion that would be loans, say 120k, but also a large portion of need-based grants at many schools.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Yes, they hate you because you're poor.

Sounds like unsubstantiated speculation to me, I'd say go for the clear winner, get fee waivers.

choculamaviva

New

Post by choculamaviva » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm

That's why I'm trying to SUBSTANTIATE. With several of the top schools only giving aid based on need, not on merit, it would seem a reasonable question. Again, I'm not saying that it happens, only asking if anyone knows. Or, in other terms, has your cycle not been going as well as you hoped, given your numbers? Do you have an LSDAS waiver?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:41 pm

I thought it was pretty much only HYS that were need-based only? I didn't apply to any of those (and I don't know if YS would know anyway if you didn't apply separately for their waivers), but I have the LSAC waiver and my cycle's been going well. No rejections/waitlists yet, and I've heard from half the T14 schools I applied to. I really think you're just being a bit paranoid. Not that I can't blame you, but there's nothing to support it that I've seen.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:18 pm

i was kind of afraid of this as well, so i don't think your worry is unreasonable. in the informational book from lsac it even states something to the effect that if you need this waiver you might consider whether attending school is financially smart, and that kind of psyched me out of applying for it which i now kind of regret. now that i know most students will be financing their entire education and i'm not an anomaly, it seems reasonable to believe that it wouldn't have impacted my cycle. i can't say whether it did/will, but that is my take on it...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”