I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Gold

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 pm

chimp wrote:A 98th percentile LSAT score and a 4.0 is not a reach anywhere.
False. Only 7 people our of 42 from LSN with 171s got into Harvard and 3 of them were wait listed first. That's not "likely". a target is somewhere you're LIKELY to get in. Although LSN may not be completely representative, it gives less than a 20% chance to get in with a 171 and less than a 10% chance of getting in without being wait listed first. That, to me, is enough to be qualified as a reach for this person.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Gotti wrote:
False. Only 7 people our of 42 from LSN with 171s got into Harvard and 3 of them were wait listed first. That's not "likely". a target is somewhere you're LIKELY to get in. Although LSN may not be completely representative, it gives less than a 20% chance to get in with a 171 and less than a 10% chance of getting in without being wait listed first. That, to me, is enough to be qualified as a reach for this person.
No, not false. You just have a very different definition of reach than I do. I'm not bumping this thread again.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

who said 180/4.0? the person you're hating on and calling an idiot got a 171 lol. a 171 is not a guaranteed acceptance into HLS or YLS...

that 177/3.98/URM was a stupid post though...obviously they're gonna get in unless their application sucked balls. but if I was WL'd with a 4.0/171, I wouldn't expect to get in. Not expecting to get in makes the school a reach.
Last edited by Gotti on Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

chimp wrote:
Gotti wrote:
No, not false. You just have a very different definition of reach than I do. I'm not bumping this thread again.
:roll:

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Gotti wrote:
We should be looking at 171s with high GPAs, not all 171s. Now, I'm not saying LSN is perfect but it's what we have and according the the information of the 9 applicants who had 171 with a GPA of above 3.9, 5 of them were accepted and the even of the remaining 4 who weren't accepted 2 or 3 of them were waitlisted. This means in the worst case scenario, assuming that not a single one of the 4 non-accepted people get off the waitlist, 5 of 9 applicants on LSN who had a 171 with a GPA of higher than 3.9 got accepted by Harvard. In short, the majority of 171/3.9+ applicants on LSN got accepted to Harvard. Reach? I think not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Ok this is getting fucking annoying. a personal reach is when you have no personal expectation that you will get in. Who are you to judge what a reach is for that individual? What if he/she got like 3 DUIs or something or has some other criminal record? Lol stop sipping on that haterade...they got into a school they did not expect to get into. It was a reach for them. It wasn't a reach in your opinion. Cool. End of fucking story. This isn't a thread to cut down peoples accomplishments and call them idiots. You are the ones making this thread stupid.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Gotti wrote:Ok this is getting fucking annoying. a personal reach is when you have no personal expectation that you will get in. Who are you to judge what a reach is for that individual? What if he/she got like 3 DUIs or something or has some other criminal record? Lol stop sipping on that haterade...they got into a school they did not expect to get into. It was a reach for them. It wasn't a reach in your opinion. Cool. End of fucking story. This isn't a thread to cut down peoples accomplishments and call them idiots. You are the ones making this thread stupid.
Wow, I really give up. You're now saying that it's opinions that count. So if a person had the opinion of going to Cooley at sticker price without a job lined up I guess it's the right call, right? Damn, what has TLS come to?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Look through the first page of this thread. It's full of people who were 25/75 applicants. HLS was a reach for me. My LSAT is two points below their median, my soft factors are middling at best, (pretty bland WE, so-so LORs, decent PS etc.) and my undergraduate institution is basically one step up from a community college. That's why I posted ITT. I even updated my post to include some helpful info to future HLS applicants.

If you have a different definition of a reach, then fine. I respect that, although it's totally contrary to what I've seen on TLS over the past year. But there's no need to call me or my post retarded.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Look through the first page of this thread. It's full of people who were 25/75 applicants. HLS was a reach for me. My LSAT is two points below their median, my soft factors are middling at best, (pretty bland WE, so-so LORs, decent PS etc.) and my undergraduate institution is basically one step up from a community college. That's why I posted ITT. I even updated my post to include some helpful info to future HLS applicants.

If you have a different definition of a reach, then fine. I respect that, although it's totally contrary to what I've seen on TLS over the past year. But there's no need to call me or my post retarded.
I am sorry if I called you an idiot. However, it is hard to believe a particular school can be called a "reach" when a majority of applicants (on LSN) with similar numbers as yours were admitted. But again I apologize and I meant no harm to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 pm

I agree harvard was kind of a reach for Gentleman. The dude/chick URM who got into Yale w/ a 177 is not, however. Asha says in the TLS profile that there are a number of people who are basically auto-admit at Yale, and I have a hard time believing that person was not one of them...

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 11:23 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Gotti wrote:Ok this is getting fucking annoying. a personal reach is when you have no personal expectation that you will get in. Who are you to judge what a reach is for that individual? What if he/she got like 3 DUIs or something or has some other criminal record? Lol stop sipping on that haterade...they got into a school they did not expect to get into. It was a reach for them. It wasn't a reach in your opinion. Cool. End of fucking story. This isn't a thread to cut down peoples accomplishments and call them idiots. You are the ones making this thread stupid.
Wow, I really give up. You're now saying that it's opinions that count. So if a person had the opinion of going to Cooley at sticker price without a job lined up I guess it's the right call, right? Damn, what has TLS come to?
Okay dumb opinions are obviously dumb. This one is not a dumb opinion. That was a ridiculous comparison.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Gotti wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Okay dumb opinions are obviously dumb. This one is not a dumb opinion. That was a ridiculous comparison.
Sounds ridiculous right? It was an analogy to show you how ridiculous your reasoning was. I guess it worked.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 am

dpk711 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Sounds ridiculous right? It was an analogy to show you how ridiculous your reasoning was. I guess it worked.
What is this I don't even...
Last edited by Gotti on Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:20 am

Gotti wrote:LOLWUT. All it showed me is that you probably got all of those logic fallacy and parallel reasoning questions wrong on the LSAT....
I'm not arguing with Gotti anymore, good luck everyone on this thread and sorry if I gave anyone hard feelings.

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 am

A reach is whatever the poster wants it to be. The Poster doesn't give a fuck about your definition of what his/her reaches are.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

I guess I can say I got into my reach!

Fordham Law School!

I'm a reverse splitter, at 25/75th percentiles. Got rejected by them last cycle.

Boo-ya.

j12

Bronze

Post by j12 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 am

Going to the infallible LSP

Harvard with a 4.0 171 is consider at 47%, so while I don't think it was a far reach, I do think there was some extension of the hand. Congrats to anyone who gets into Harvard.

W&M with a 3.17 and 163 is a DENY so good to that person making it into an unquestionable reach. Way to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jtgnyc

New

Post by jtgnyc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:52 pm

In at U. of Michigan!

164/3.6
non-urm

amazed and thrilled.

everyone said it wasn't possible.

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am

Got into a school where I am at the 25% for GPA and below 25% for LSAT! Non-URM.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:47 am

jtgnyc wrote:In at U. of Michigan!

164/3.6
non-urm
Wow, Congratulations! Thats awesome!

AJO83

New

Post by AJO83 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:09 pm

In at WUSTL as of last week. URM and 4 years of great work experience.
Below 25% median for LSAT, at 25% median for GPA.

I took the initiative and made it a point to advocate for myself being admitted.

Got some $$$ as well.

I think it is all because I had gone to a McDonald's last Thursday and when I was given too much in change, I returned it to the cashier. Karma.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:10 pm

AJO83 wrote:In at WUSTL as of last week. URM and 4 years of great work experience.
Below 25% median for LSAT, at 25% median for GPA.

I took the initiative and made it a point to advocate for myself being admitted.

Got some $$$ as well.

I think it is all because I had gone to a McDonald's last Thursday and when I was given too much in change, I returned it to the cashier. Karma.
That's what's up. Congrats.

smithc2011

New

Post by smithc2011 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Gotti wrote: Honestly....harvard and yale are crapshoots even with 4.0/171. I understand the "75/25 should be a target" argument but HLS and YLS don't have normal criteria. I'd say 4.0/171 into HLS isn't super surprising but it wouldn't be surprising if the person with avg softs didn't get in with those numbers. The fact that it's not surprising if he/she didn't get in can qualify HLS to be a reach for this particular person.
So you're saying that since a 180/4.0 is a crapshoot for Yale (meaning that they have an approximately 50/50 chance for acceptance) that an applicant with a perfect LSAT score and an immaculate GPA should consider Yale a reach school? Just ridiculous.

Gonna have to do better than that.
haha. I see what you did there.

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:27 pm

I don't feel like doing this.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Ohh, citykitty, cute cat! I have one who looks just like it; his name is Midnight. Sorry this is totally unrelated to the topic...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”