old LSAT prep tests vs. new LSAT prep tests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Matypete

New

old LSAT prep tests vs. new LSAT prep tests

Post by Matypete » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Are the older LSAT practice tests generally easier than the newer ones? The reason I ask is because I started off taking tests in the 50s and was scoring between 155-160... Then I bought the 10 Actual Official LSATs and started scoring much higher... First 167, then 170, then 172. Is this difference in scores due to the difference in difficulty of the tests, or could it be that my score is just improving from taking so many practice tests? Thanks for your help!

ruleser

Silver

Re: old LSAT prep tests vs. new LSAT prep tests

Post by ruleser » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

They're just different, and depends on the year - there's a period where the LG's are much tougher, and a period where they are much easier. RC is just different, maybe easier, but different. LR's I do worse at the old ones for some reason, again just because they are very different somehow.

Matypete

New

Post by Matypete » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I've heard (from the LSAT blog) that the LG sections on the newer exams is easier/shorter and that the RC and logic/reasoning on are much harder... If that is correct, I guess the answer to my question depends on which section your best at...

ace0260

New

Post by ace0260 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm

i also do slightly worse on the older LR. I think it is because the stimuli are longer, it is more draining, and it is possible to lose focus.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 pm

I've found that old LG tend to be harder, or at least the combination of 4 is harder, older tests rarely if ever have a give away pure sequencing game. LR for me is pretty much the same ... and I just started a RC strategy so I can't really say, but I think that newer RC is more difficult.

SabermetricFan

New

Post by SabermetricFan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:51 pm

ace0260 wrote:i also do slightly worse on the older LR. I think it is because the stimuli are longer, it is more draining, and it is possible to lose focus.
I found this to be the case as well. On all newer tests I finish all LR questions before time is up, while I used to guess on 1-3 Q's sometimes on the old ones, because I'd get frustrated at certain points and lose concentration and time. Also I feel the new LR sections 'flow' better if that makes any sense. Or it could just be I've practiced so much I have LR down better now. I'll have to retake some older LR sections and see if I can get the same 'flow'.

All in all I think the newer tests are easier - complete mastery of the LGs, and down to -3 or -4 on the other 3 sections. I'd probably score a 166-168 right now, hoping for a 170+ come the 26th.

My head hurts a lot less after taking a newer test than older one - which I think creates a natural curve just being less taxing as the test goes on, but maybe they curve it, with the fact it's less taxing, in mind, along with that test's separate difficulty curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”