Huge breakthrough on RC; will update this list with tips Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
freewheelin

New

Re: Huge breakthrough on RC; will update this list with tips

Post by freewheelin » Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 pm

after reading this i am really excited to try out this method today. yeah, i am actually looking forward to doing hours of RC today. pretty fucked up. this has been the most difficult section for me, usually -6 to -7.

my problem was that i tend to take way too many detailed notes on content instead of structure/arguments/POV/etc. On top of slowing me down for the entire section, the questions rarely rely solely on content. UNless its one of the questions that says the author specifically mentions so and so in the passage. in which case the time i would save by not paraphrasing the entire passage would be more than enough to look back and read one sentence where i underlined a key term anyway. ill let yall know how it goes tonight.

welp, see ya later

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't know, this method isn't working out for me, but neither is whatever I was doing before. I still miss -4 to -6. If I underline, I get bogged down in the underlining and it distracts me from reading the passage. Also, I can never remember what to underline, what to star, and whatnot. Can anyone help me? I desperately need it. :-(

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:21 pm

*sigh*

bump?

CrzyCatDC

New

Post by CrzyCatDC » Sat May 23, 2009 2:36 pm

SilverE2 wrote:I don't know, this method isn't working out for me, but neither is whatever I was doing before. I still miss -4 to -6. If I underline, I get bogged down in the underlining and it distracts me from reading the passage. Also, I can never remember what to underline, what to star, and whatnot. Can anyone help me? I desperately need it. :-(
Get Powerscore's LR and RC bibles. They're a big help.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 23, 2009 2:38 pm

SilverE2 wrote:I don't know, this method isn't working out for me, but neither is whatever I was doing before. I still miss -4 to -6. If I underline, I get bogged down in the underlining and it distracts me from reading the passage. Also, I can never remember what to underline, what to star, and whatnot. Can anyone help me? I desperately need it. :-(
Besides what has already been said, I think the more passages you go through the more you realize what you'll need to underline. If underlining makes you not remember the passage then don't do it. but I still recommend "box"ing the key terms. This method helps me remember what is going on, that is why it is useful for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:30 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Besides what has already been said, I think the more passages you go through the more you realize what you'll need to underline. If underlining makes you not remember the passage then don't do it. but I still recommend "box"ing the key terms. This method helps me remember what is going on, that is why it is useful for me.
Ok. Did you do it untimed in the beginning, just to learn the method? If you did, how many passages did you do untimed before moving to timed practice?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:32 pm

CrzyCatDC wrote:
Get Powerscore's LR and RC bibles. They're a big help.
My logical reasoning is fine, and I don't have time to read the RC bible.

freewheelin

New

Post by freewheelin » Sat May 23, 2009 4:16 pm

alright so i just did a few hours of RC last night. Finished it just in time to watch the 4th of the insane magic v cavs game. so as everyone has been saying about RC. you have to do a shitload and find out what works for you. i did worse underlining and boxing everything than when i do taking notes.

however, i did start combining the two and then when i made some real improvement. i went from getting -7 to -3 on the last 5 or 6 passages i did. i would box key terms with defnitions/people/authors point of view, and after every paragraph write a few words summarizing it, and the role the paragraph plays in the passage. this is what the questions ask anyway. point is, and i am only reiterating what many others have said, you need to sit down and do a lot of passages to find what works best for you. this way, you see that there are very few curveballs the passages can throw at you, then they become like doing LG.
im pumped about the improvement.
if i can keep the -3 on RC i will be able to hit my target of a 90 raw score no problem.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 23, 2009 4:20 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Ok. Did you do it untimed in the beginning, just to learn the method? If you did, how many passages did you do untimed before moving to timed practice?
I do it timed because timing is my biggest issue. If I do an untimed RC passage, I will get a -0 or -1 because all the info needed is in the passage. My biggest problem is getting all of that info within the allotted time.

I recommend doing a couple untimed just to see if you get all the questions right. If you get the questions right, I recommend doing it timed so you can perfect your method and answer the questions more quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat May 23, 2009 4:26 pm

I missed -1 on the RC section on the actual LSAT (made stupid mistakes on the LR sections, but still ended up 99th percentile) and didn't underline a thing. When it comes to RC, everybody has a different way of doing it. I know somebody who had -0 and he used his highlighter while underlining and circling liberally. Try a bunch of different methods. There's no "correct" way across the board to do RC.

porkbraiser

New

Post by porkbraiser » Sat May 23, 2009 4:49 pm

rkitten you are sexy and smart, we should get together sometime

Jean_Rousseau

New

Post by Jean_Rousseau » Sat May 23, 2009 4:53 pm

porkbraiser wrote:rkitten you are sexy and smart, we should get together sometime
How often does this method work for you?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Jean_Rousseau wrote:
porkbraiser wrote:rkitten you are sexy and smart, we should get together sometime
How often does this method work for you?
You're telling me this doesn't work?

*deletes bookmark for TLS*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jean_Rousseau

New

Post by Jean_Rousseau » Sat May 23, 2009 5:47 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote: You're telling me this doesn't work?
I'm pretty sure I did not say that...

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Jean_Rousseau wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote: You're telling me this doesn't work?
I'm pretty sure I did not say that...
Giggity.

Now I just need a sexy username.. like "porkbraiser"

Jean_Rousseau

New

Post by Jean_Rousseau » Sat May 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Your current user name is very sexy.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm retaking in December after doing pretty poorly on RC in February. Bumping this because the link from the first post and that post itself are extremely informative, definitely going to try a lot of the stuff that worked for others!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Try a bunch of different methods. There's no "correct" way across the board to do RC.
+1

I always went back to the passage after reading/before answering each question. I'm sure TLS would tell me this was wrong.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:44 pm

lex talionis wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Try a bunch of different methods. There's no "correct" way across the board to do RC.
+1

I always went back to the passage after reading/before answering each question. I'm sure TLS would tell me this was wrong.
I did that as well. And I was very good with RC, both on PTs and on the actual test.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”