How does alcohol effect studying? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ssoto0055

New

How does alcohol effect studying?

Post by Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:04 pm

I ask because it is really the only thing I can think of. I didn't get hammered over the weekend, but did have a few scotches this past weekend, and got a little buzz. I felt a little bit like I was burned out because I couldn't go through the progressions I normally go through. Making the connections between the argument, and eliminating answers. My last four exams have been 160, 153, 159, and 151. The lower scores were on weekends I drank. I didn't do anything over the weekend, as a matter of fact I took Friday off too. It's the schedule I have been keeping to lately. If I stidy much more than I will get burned out. Perhaps there is a correlation? Or is it a flaw in my argument? Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship? :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist. Does alcohol have effects on cognitive memory long after the buzz is gone??

lloydchristmas

New

Re: How does alcohol effect studying?

Post by lloydchristmas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:06 pm

man up, the attorneys in the good old days could do anything hammered while at work.
Last edited by lloydchristmas on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justice4All

New

Post by Justice4All » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Ssoto0055 wrote:Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship?
It could be the crack you've been smoking.

Ssoto0055

New

Post by Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Justice4All wrote:
It could be the crack you've been smoking.
That will be after the LSAT. It is the quickest way to lose weight.

FunSized

New

Post by FunSized » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 pm

If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justice4All

New

Post by Justice4All » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Is this like Craigslist Casual Encounters?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

FunSized wrote:If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.

TITCR. State dependent learning, FTL.

Man up, put down the booze, and get it in gear.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Ssoto0055 wrote:I ask because it is really the only thing I can think of. I didn't get hammered over the weekend, but did have a few scotches this past weekend, and got a little buzz. I felt a little bit like I was burned out because I couldn't go through the progressions I normally go through. Making the connections between the argument, and eliminating answers. My last four exams have been 160, 153, 159, and 151. The lower scores were on weekends I drank. I didn't do anything over the weekend, as a matter of fact I took Friday off too. It's the schedule I have been keeping to lately. If I stidy much more than I will get burned out. Perhaps there is a correlation? Or is it a flaw in my argument? Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship? :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist. Does alcohol have effects on cognitive memory long after the buzz is gone??
One thing alcohol does is make you forget the difference between affect and effect.

aer

New

Post by aer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 pm

The length of time that you experience side effects of alcohol varies based on how much you drink, your weight and your metabolism. If you are taking practice tests the morning after drinking it may have some effect. Another possible reason for your decreased test score is that some people don't sleep as well after drinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ssoto0055

New

Post by Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm

macattaq wrote:
FunSized wrote:If you learn something while you are drunk you are more likely to remember said material when you are drunk again. Therefore you can either not drink or drink when you are studying and during exams. Babe Ruth was drunk all the time, but he didn't have to do much critical thinking and maybe he would have hit 1000 home runs sober.

TITCR. State dependent learning, FTL.

Man up, put down the booze, and get it in gear.
The booze was just a casual thing on a Friday or Saturday night to relax, or when I am hanging out with friends. I don't go near it during the week, which is when I do my studying. I just have no idea how much it is effecting me, if it is. I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge than me can provide some insight. If that's the case I can deal without it for the next month while I finish preparations for June 8th.

lloydchristmas

New

Post by lloydchristmas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:30 pm

i agree with the above poster, i know ppl that have to quit drinking for a few months before they can perform to maximum capacity, then there are those that can get liquored up the night before the test and have no problem. same goes for smoking, i know a kid who studied for the thing blown, took the thing pretty much blown, 170. Matters person to person.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I remember that when I personally was studying for the LSAT I found a major correlation between drinking and during the weekend and doing well on PTs

Stop drinking if it affects you!

muddywaters

Bronze

Post by muddywaters » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:34 pm

it affects you, totally. affects.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ssoto0055

New

Post by Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:I remember that when I personally was studying for the LSAT I found a major correlation between drinking and during the weekend and doing well on PTs

Stop drinking if it affects you!
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't grasping at air with this. It was the only thing I can tell that was different about on weekends. I wanted to know how much it can affect someone. I guess I am not the only one, and it does affect me more than others.

williamholden1

New

Post by williamholden1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 pm

In general, negatively.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Alcohol destroys brain cells. Supposedly lowers mental performance for up to 3 days. Don't drink it before tests.

Ssoto0055

New

Post by Ssoto0055 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:11 pm

kurla88 wrote:Alcohol destroys brain cells. Supposedly lowers mental performance for up to 3 days. Don't drink it before tests.
That's what I was afraid of. We'll I guess I won't be drinking til the evening of June 8th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgg1974

New

Post by jgg1974 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm

I think you should keep drinking with the hopes for me that you get a DUI and hinder your chances of getting accepting to a school that I might be applying to and thus an extra seat to fill, for say, maybe moi? :lol:

So to your question, no, alcohol is just fine! Not to mention , it is NOT a drug like some say. It is something to "relax" with. That's all.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:20 pm

Suozzo_98

New

Post by Suozzo_98 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:50 am

Mod edit: spam

PearsonSpecterLitt

New

Post by PearsonSpecterLitt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 am

Ssoto0055 wrote:I ask because it is really the only thing I can think of. I didn't get hammered over the weekend, but did have a few scotches this past weekend, and got a little buzz. I felt a little bit like I was burned out because I couldn't go through the progressions I normally go through. Making the connections between the argument, and eliminating answers. My last four exams have been 160, 153, 159, and 151. The lower scores were on weekends I drank. I didn't do anything over the weekend, as a matter of fact I took Friday off too. It's the schedule I have been keeping to lately. If I stidy much more than I will get burned out. Perhaps there is a correlation? Or is it a flaw in my argument? Am I making a correlation from a casual relationship? :mrgreen: Sorry couldn't resist. Does alcohol have effects on cognitive memory long after the buzz is gone??
Think about it this way. Assume that alcohol destroys brain cells. Whenever you drink alcohol, brain cells die. If you are able to go through a test and do well when you have fewer brain cells, then you really understand the material. So if you can drink and can consistently perform well on the LSAT, you might be good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”