Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hotdog123

Bronze

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by hotdog123 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 am

if anyone is interested i'm selling my completely unused LSAT study materials that I gathered from the guide posted in this thread.

contents:

Power Score Logic Games Bible
Power Score Logical Reasoning Bible
Power Score Reading Comprehension Bible

The Official LSAT Super Prep

Kaplan LSAT Advanced

10 Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests
10 More Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests
The Next 10 Actual Official LSAT Prep Tests

Official LSAT Prep Tests # 47, 50, 52, 53, 54

Asking $300 for the entire package... NOT selling individual parts. Thanks!

T14orBust

New

Post by T14orBust » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:57 pm

idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone kno wwhich LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.
Last edited by T14orBust on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frb43

New

Post by Frb43 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 am

T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.
I know that "inference" is the same as "Must be True".

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Frb43 wrote:
T14orBust wrote:idk if this has been answered already, but does anyone who which LR question types in the LRB correspond to the LR question types in the Mastery/Orange Book? some of them have the same names like assumption, parallel and paradox but others have diff names and i wana match up the chapters with the sections in the mastery book before i start.
I'm laughin at myself for not realizing that sooner, I was perplexed that Kaplan didn't have a "must be true" type. I'm an idiot.
Good question, T14orBust

T14orBust

New

Post by T14orBust » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Frb43 wrote:
thanks...can any1 who has followed pithypikes guide give me a list of the LRB chapters and wat question types they match up with in the Mastery?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pandora

New

Post by pandora » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 am

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Frb43 wrote:
I'm laughin at myself for not realizing that sooner, I was perplexed that Kaplan didn't have a "must be true" type. I'm an idiot.
Good question, T14orBust
For those of you using the kaplan mastery book, if your confused just pay attention the question stems and you'll see how they correspond with the LRB. (for example with the Must be True in the LRB, you can just take note of the question stem and you will notice thats the same as inference in the kaplan book.

hope that helps!

Chowder

New

Post by Chowder » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 am

Nearly all of the suggested books are no longer available on Amazon (with the exception of the "10 More" -- which I keep hearing are outdated since the test's changed so much).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which books I should buy (I already have two of the "10 More" and the PowerScore LG Bible)? My greatest weakness is LG anyway, but I keep missing a handful on LR that I feel could use some improving too.

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am

Chowder wrote:Nearly all of the suggested books are no longer available on Amazon (with the exception of the "10 More" -- which I keep hearing are outdated since the test's changed so much).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which books I should buy (I already have two of the "10 More" and the PowerScore LG Bible)? My greatest weakness is LG anyway, but I keep missing a handful on LR that I feel could use some improving too.
I wouldn't discredit the first 10 actual LSATs too much, as far as LR goes, i don't see much difference between LR sections then to now, except for the fact the language gets a little trickier, but its still definitely good practice. And the LGs are slightly different but if you are working through them you're still training your mind to make certain inferences and deductions etc.

neverknow

New

Post by neverknow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Does anyone have a copy of Kaplan Mastery they are willing to sell? I can't find it on amazon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:30 pm

There's a copy of the Mastery Practice book in the first listing here.

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Can you do without the Mastery book?

My assumption was that the LR bible should be OK... otherwise I'll have to track it down. How much is it worth? Are those amazon prices inflated, or actually fair market? :shock:

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm doing it without the Mastery book because i couldn't find anywhere that would ship to canada :( so i'm using the LR sections from the next 10 books, and doing the q's by type and difficulty (i get them from Kaplan's online q rater)...
It's not ideal because you don't get explanations, but i think it still offers a lot more practice then doing just the LRB...

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 pm

But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Kulax22 wrote:But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|
It tells you how to do it, but it really doesn't give you a lot of practice, so the point of mastery practice is just to be able to practice the skills.

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 am

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:But why do the Mastery Practice if you have the LR Bible? Shouldn't that give you what you need? :|
It tells you how to do it, but it really doesn't give you a lot of practice, so the point of mastery practice is just to be able to practice the skills.
You got a point...

Well I will make do with what I have. I like Pithypike's suggestions but I'm not sure how to pace myself. I have free time this summer so I want to do perhaps 3-4 hours a day, 5-6 days a week (unless that isn't enough)

I guess I'll get the Mastery if and only if I feel I need help. Which I might because I hate LR, I get some questions dead wrong.
Last edited by Kulax22 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:52 am

One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I'm guessing you do the first copy of each game as you progress through the Bibles, but when do you know it's time to do the second and third copies?

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 am

Kulax22 wrote:One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I'm guessing you do the first copy of each game as you progress through the Bibles, but when do you know it's time to do the second and third copies?
I do like 5-7 games a day. I do 2/3 new ones and 3-5 repeats, everyday.
I'm doing it over the 3months Pithy suggested, so most of the PTs i'm saving untill the last month, aside from SuperPrep tests, i'm taking one at the end of month1 and the other 2 in the second month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:36 pm

ladyarglwydds wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:One more question: it's not clear to me when to use the 3 copies of each game. When do you actually do the PTs?

I do like 5-7 games a day. I do 2/3 new ones and 3-5 repeats, everyday.
I'm doing it over the 3months Pithy suggested, so most of the PTs i'm saving untill the last month, aside from SuperPrep tests, i'm taking one at the end of month1 and the other 2 in the second month.
Cool. Are you also working on LR and RC or mainly focusing on games? I'm trying to get my own schedule down. I will hopefully finish LR bible next week, then I hope to work on the LR sections of the PTs and the photocopies of the Games. My assumption is that most of the PTs will be used as sources for these sections, not taken on their own as PTs (until Sept rolls around). I will hopefully get the Mastery book, but until then I figure why not do the LR sections, one or two a day?

prolixpike

New

Post by prolixpike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:59 pm

You'd better be right about all of this, Pithypike...

Your arch-nemesis,
Prolixpike

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Kind of a stupid question but are these the 10 most recent PP refers to in the OP?

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/PublicationDetail.aspx

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 am

i get a timed out error when i look at your link....so i can't see what you are referring to, but this is the book of most recent "next 10s"
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Offic ... b_title_bk

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TomfooleryU

New

Post by TomfooleryU » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:56 pm

In the first post, the OP suggested using Kaplan Mastery since Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available. Would I be correct in assuming the Big Orange Book was better, and should be used if one can still procure a copy? I was (potentially) lucky enough to randomly find one when I was cleaning a room in my fraternity house.

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 am

TomfooleryU wrote:In the first post, the OP suggested using Kaplan Mastery since Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available. Would I be correct in assuming the Big Orange Book was better, and should be used if one can still procure a copy? I was (potentially) lucky enough to randomly find one when I was cleaning a room in my fraternity house.

The Big Orange Book was an earlier publication and used questions from earlier exams.

risk_ay

New

Post by risk_ay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Pithypike, I am new to this site, and Mr. Matlock just put me on to this thread, I guess he could tell I just got panicked at the disco. I am glad he did. Thanks for all the hard work!

risk_ay

New

Post by risk_ay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Is there a specific amount of recommended hours per day/week for this plan to be executed ideally?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”