Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sayan

Bronze

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by sayan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:10 am

Some quick questions:

I noticed that the 1st LSAT prep book does not include test 8 and 17. Since the SuperPrep has 3 new tests, does it cover these older tests?

Also, there appear to be conflicting descriptions on the Mastery book. Does it divide all LR + LG questions into groups for every test up to 41?

In that case, are the LSAT prep tests purchased up to 41 only useful for RC?

Finally, do you think the newer LGB is superior to the older one considering the newer one has LG from recent tests? Wouldn't that spoil recent tests?

BTW, Pithy, your studying strategy really appears to be great. I'm aiming for a top score myself and it seems I'll be following your strategy over the 6 months prior to the June exam.

Did you take the test yet?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

sayan wrote:Some quick questions:

I noticed that the 1st LSAT prep book does not include test 8 and 17. Since the SuperPrep has 3 new tests, does it cover these older tests?

Also, there appear to be conflicting descriptions on the Mastery book. Does it divide all LR + LG questions into groups for every test up to 41?

In that case, are the LSAT prep tests purchased up to 41 only useful for RC?

Finally, do you think the newer LGB is superior to the older one considering the newer one has LG from recent tests? Wouldn't that spoil recent tests?

BTW, Pithy, your studying strategy really appears to be great. I'm aiming for a top score myself and it seems I'll be following your strategy over the 6 months prior to the June exam.

Did you take the test yet?
SuperPrep contains previously unreleased February exams (1996, 1999 and 2000). The PTs missing from the first '10' book are from the early 90s, so no.

Kaplan Mastery separates LR, RC and LG by type, but it isn't even close to comprehensive. The first three '10 LSAT' books are used for all sections. LG-photocopies, LR/RC-full sections. You can master each LR type individually by working through the Mastery book, but to master the section you have to do full, timed sections.

Either LG book will be fine. As you noted, you would have to be sure not to take any LGs from 41 on, which could cut out a substantial chunk of some sections for the new LG Bible. I wouldn't know though, as I only used the old one.

I sat for the October exam and reached my goal.
Last edited by pithypike on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm trying to get the Mastery book but craigslist and ebay don't have it. Barnes & Noble apparently doesn't have it and amazon has 1 that takes 3-6 weeks to ship to Canada :(

Is there any other way to classify the LR questions by type without having to look at every single question and figuring it out (thus partially spoiling the question)?

New

Post by 181 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Pithy: I'm taking in June 09, and already have some RC and LR study under my belt. I really like your plan, especially the LG, and will use it as I now begin LG. First, what are your thoughts on studying in blocks of material, rather than (how your plan does it) incorporating all 3 (LG, RC, LR) at once?

Also, since I've got 5 months (Jan-May) to study, would use simply tack on a Prep class at the end of your 3 month plan? Or still save the recent PTs for end of May? I'm worried about peaking at the wrong time, etc. Other thoughts?

Thanks again for all your advice

mycousinvinny

New

Post by mycousinvinny » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm

sayan wrote:I'm trying to get the Mastery book but craigslist and ebay don't have it. Barnes & Noble apparently doesn't have it and amazon has 1 that takes 3-6 weeks to ship to Canada :(

Is there any other way to classify the LR questions by type without having to look at every single question and figuring it out (thus partially spoiling the question)?
http://www.test-preparation.net/lsat_test.html

up to PT50

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 am

Bump for February testers. PM me with any questions, though many are answered within the thread.

Lawyered

New

Post by Lawyered » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 am

Last edited by Lawyered on Wed May 20, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

unknow4871

New

Post by unknow4871 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Pithypike, this is great! I've added it to Some Useful LSAT and Law School Admissions Links

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 am

my god, you got stickied. that's gotta be an achievement rarer than the 180.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluehen

New

Post by bluehen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm

I would definately mention being stickied here on all your apps under the significant award section of your resume...

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:52 pm

I regret EDing at UVA now.....this would definitely have put me over the top at HYS

Scythron

New

Post by Scythron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Pithypike, I love your study plan. I'm planning on taking the September '09 LSAT but I feel if I follow your plan I'll run out of material months before I take it in September. What changes would you make for someone who's starting 7-8 months in advance? I feel that I need the extra time so I can score in the 170+ range. I took an untimed diagnostic at the end of December and scored a 152. Is a 170+ realistic and what changes should I make to lengthen your study plan.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

You can split up the first two months into "stages" and prorate those stages into however much time you have available. I would not suggest taking this further than two months per stage, and it is mandatory that you complete the PT month (third month) in about 30 days, maybe a little bit more. During the final month you are trying to establish a rhythm and figure out what works for you on full length tests, so taking them too far apart can be detrimental.

In your case I would suggest you start using other methods to prepare your brain for the LSAT before you actually begin looking at LSAT material. Start reading Scientific American, The Economist, and other such dense material. You may also want to pick up a good book on informal logic, which you can find by doing a few simple searches on this forum.

Frankly, I wouldn't start looking at real LSAT material until 5, MAYBE 6 months before the actual exam, and both of the above suggestions will certainly help train your mind for the sort of thinking necessary to score well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for your help, Pithypike! I read this thread religiously!

Quick question, does anyone have the answer key for PT 40?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:40 am

you wrote: I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical

I suggest never writing any letters A through E as a symbol anywhere on your sheet. It is a small thing but it can lead to one wrong answer that might not have otherwise occurred. If, for example, you are struggling with a passage and decide to come back to it later, it is easy to lose track of time, flip back at the last minute and fill in C because you wrote C plainly in the margin, when in fact you had actually narrowed the choices down to A or E. I made this error on a practice test once.

Jerry

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm

MURPH wrote:you wrote: I suggest developing a set of symbols that help you refer to specific points in the passage. For example, I place a 'C' next to the line in which a critical viewpoint is mentioned and underline the part of the passage indicating this viewpoint is critical

I suggest never writing any letters A through E as a symbol anywhere on your sheet. It is a small thing but it can lead to one wrong answer that might not have otherwise occurred. If, for example, you are struggling with a passage and decide to come back to it later, it is easy to lose track of time, flip back at the last minute and fill in C because you wrote C plainly in the margin, when in fact you had actually narrowed the choices down to A or E. I made this error on a practice test once.

Jerry
I don't understand why you would think a referent next to the passage would be the correct answer for a question. Is it some subconscious thing?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 am

>I don't understand why you would think a referent next to the passage would be the correct answer for a question. Is it some subconscious thing?

It isn't really a subconscious thing. Imagine the passage is on the left side of the page and the questions on the right. I write notes and symbols for things on the left and right, above and in between paragraphs. So if I write "C" to symbolize conclusion to the right of the passage but the left of some question, then later skip that question because it is too hard, then a few minutes later when I go back to fill in the answers at the last minute I may fill in "C". It isn't subconscious. It is because I am rushed to make sure all the answers are filled in. I may or may not have the 15 seconds needed to remind myself what the question was all about.

The symbols are more important in the LR section where the passage and the answers are closer together. But you probably don't want different symbols in different sections if you can avoid them.

Jerry

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MlhopeTC

New

Post by MlhopeTC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 am

Your link to the Kaplan Mastery book in the original post is messed up, but I found this on Amazon. It doesn't have a picture but this must be the book right? Just wanted to check before I bought it, thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7&v=glance

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Yes, that's one option, but the third search result here has cheaper options.

See Kaplan Mastery LSAT on Amazon.

MlhopeTC

New

Post by MlhopeTC » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm

FreeGuy wrote:Yes, that's one option, but the third search result here has cheaper options.

See Kaplan Mastery LSAT on Amazon.
The third listing down is a softcover with only 481 pages while the other one has 700 something. What is the difference between those two?

I just assumed the one that said 2008 (and cost $15) was the more updated version

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Sorry, I meant to say fifth listing (2006 edition). As far as I know, there's no difference between 2006 and 2008 Mastery editions. Looks like the cheapest copies of the 2006 edition sold already, so stick with the second listing (2008 edition) for $15.

The third listing is Mastery Homework (that's why it's much shorter). You want Mastery Practice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somethingclever

New

Post by somethingclever » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Unless i'm reading it wrong, the only time this guide references the Kaplan Mastery book is during the logical reasoning section. Is there some advantage to using both the KM and LRB? Is using only the LRB just as effective? It seems like the two methods might get mixed up in your head as you go through.

Thoughts?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:29 pm

somethingclever wrote:Unless i'm reading it wrong, the only time this guide references the Kaplan Mastery book is during the logical reasoning section. Is there some advantage to using both the KM and LRB? Is using only the LRB just as effective? It seems like the two methods might get mixed up in your head as you go through.

Thoughts?
I used the Mastery book entirely for separating LR question types. I didn't read any of the explanations.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 am

hey pithy I have a quick question.

you list in paranthesis the number of different logic games you used to study for a certain type (i.e., Linear Balanced (23)) but when referencing T14's list, he comes up short on every type by 1-5 games.

is it possible for you to fill in the missing games or hint at where you got the extra games besides the ones listed?

kirsch

New

Post by kirsch » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 pm

i've been out of college for years and my study skills are rusty. i'm willing to shell out some money and study hard. the prep courses seem to get mixed reviews. would i be better off studying on my own?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”