Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Verify

New

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by Verify » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm

There are glaringly noticeable deficiencies in the OP's heuristic organization of his/her study pattern.

Do you mind producing your age level, OP?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Verify wrote:There are glaringly noticeable deficiencies in the OP's heuristic organization of his/her study pattern.

Please feel free to throw in some additional information so I can add it to the study guide and help out others more.

Oh yeah, and I'm 14 and 1/2.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Verify wrote:There are glaringly noticeable deficiencies in the OP's heuristic organization of his/her study pattern.

SEE, this is why this guy is my favourite poster! This is absolutely amazing!

ArsenalGunner

New

Post by ArsenalGunner » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:20 pm

Question...ive been "spoiled' by Kaplan and im trying a newer approach...do the 3 "actual" test come with explanations? If not, how would you recommend going over right and wrong answers?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:

I'm just curious who uses the term "age level."

That's the real mystery.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:17 pm

ArsenalGunner wrote:Question...ive been "spoiled' by Kaplan and im trying a newer approach...do the 3 "actual" test come with explanations? If not, how would you recommend going over right and wrong answers?
No they don't. Some prep companies provide full explanations, but I never used any so I can't vouch to their quality.

I review wrong answers and circled answers (ones that I had to come back to) by writing out a complete explanation for why each answer choice is wrong/correct.

For RC I go through and pick out the tidbits in the passage that lead me to the wrong answer and which parts would have lead me to the right answer. I then compare the two and see why the credited response is credited.

Spend MASSIVE amounts of time reviewing wrong answers. This is the bread and butter of fixing logical errors but is often overlooked because it so tedious. It is not unusual for me to spend 45 minutes on an LR question that gives me trouble - nor is it time wasted.

jack123

New

Post by jack123 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Which one is the Kaplan Mastery? Is that the 2009 premier program or Kaplan 180? I dont see any that say "Mastery". Thanks

StizzalioN

New

Post by StizzalioN » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:30 pm

jack123 wrote:Which one is the Kaplan Mastery? Is that the 2009 premier program or Kaplan 180? I dont see any that say "Mastery". Thanks
I am also wondering this. Can someone point it out on this amazon link or supply an ISBN number?
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=moz ... lla-search

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:35 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Mastery-Pr ... 361&sr=8-1

There should be some posted after the Oct. administration. You can find them at other sites as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jack123

New

Post by jack123 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Now I could be wrong but isnt Kaplan not producing the mastery anymore and instead going to the advanced?

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-LSAT-Advan ... 744&sr=1-1

KaplanLSATInstructor

New

Post by KaplanLSATInstructor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:13 pm

The Mastery Practice book is one of three books (along with Pacing Practice and Endurance Practice) that are given to Kaplan students when they enroll for a course. These three books (along with in-class tests, lessons and homework) incorporate every question from every released PrepTest. To my knowledge, they are not available for purchase individually or in stores (online or brick & mortar). If you see them for sale online, chances are they are being sold by a former student who never really used them.

The retail Kaplan books, including the Logic Games Workbook, LSAT 180, LSAT Advanced, and LSAT Comprehensive Program, have all been revised recently to incorporate only real LSAT questions. Those are available for purchase in most book stores that carry such material.

jack123

New

Post by jack123 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 am

KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:The Mastery Practice book is one of three books (along with Pacing Practice and Endurance Practice) that are given to Kaplan students when they enroll for a course. These three books (along with in-class tests, lessons and homework) incorporate every question from every released PrepTest. To my knowledge, they are not available for purchase individually or in stores (online or brick & mortar). If you see them for sale online, chances are they are being sold by a former student who never really used them.

The retail Kaplan books, including the Logic Games Workbook, LSAT 180, LSAT Advanced, and LSAT Comprehensive Program, have all been revised recently to incorporate only real LSAT questions. Those are available for purchase in most book stores that carry such material.

I ordered this a few days ago, it was the only one at the time and still so.
http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Mastery-Pr ... 742&sr=8-2

It says 720 pages. Is this just the master book and does not include the pacing/endurance books? Is there good value in obtaining the pacing/endurance books?

KaplanLSATInstructor

New

Post by KaplanLSATInstructor » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 pm

As you can probably tell by the picture on Amazon's listing, the Mastery Practice book is not an officially sold retail book. The picture on Amazon's page was clearly taken by somebody at home. Since this book is not sold in stores or in online stores, the person selling it must have signed up for a Kaplan course, never used the book, and sold it online to make some quick money. As you can imagine, this is not quite on the up-and-up.

Anyway, to answer your questions about the books: Yes, the 720-page book is one book: Mastery Practice. This breaks down about 10 real LSAT tests worth of material into individual question types, sorts them in order of difficulty, and provides full explanations for every question.

The Pacing Book is roughly 14 real LSAT tests broken down into individual 35-minute sections to practice pacing yourself within a section. The Endurance Book is 16 Full-Length real LSAT exams (including 2005 and 2006 exams), complete with the four scored multiple choice sections, the writing sample, and a fifth multiple choice section taken from a previous real LSAT exam acting as an experimental in order to give yourself the most test-like practice.

Both of those books only have answer keys (and the Endurance Book includes the actual scales for each exam). The explanations are available only to Kaplan students through their online accounts or in local Kaplan centers.

But, to reiterate, these are student books and any copies you find online are being sold by former students who didn't use them.

If you have any other questions about these books, please let me know in this thread or feel free to PM me.

- Chris
Last edited by KaplanLSATInstructor on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 am

KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:As you can probebly tell by the picture on Amazon's listing, the Mastery Practice book is not an officially sold retail book. The picture on Amazon's page was clearly taken by somebody at home. Since this book is not sold in stores or in online stores, the person selling it must have signed up for a Kaplan course, never used the book, and sold it online to make some quick money. As you can imagine, this is not quite on the up-and-up.

Anyway, to answer your questions about the books: Yes, the 720-page book is one book: Mastery Practice. This breaks down about 10 real LSAT tests worth of material into individual question types, sorts them in order of difficulty, and provides full explanations for every question.

The Pacing Book is roughly 14 real LSAT tests broken down into individual 35-minute sections to practice pacing yourself within a section. The Endurance Book is 16 Full-Length real LSAT exams (including 2005 and 2006 exams), complete with the four scored multiple choice sections, the writing sample, and a fifth multiple choice section taken from a previous real LSAT exam acting as an experimental in order to give yourself the most test-like practice.

Both of those books only have answer keys (and the Endurance Book includes the actual scales for each exam). The explanations are available only to Kaplan students through their online accounts or in local Kaplan centers.

But, to reiterate, these are student books and any copies you find online are being sold by former students who didn't use them.

If you have any other questions about these books, please let me know in this thread or feel free to PM me.

- Chris
I bought a used one, but I only wanted LR practice, and the person only did the games section.

FBGM

New

Post by FBGM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am

tagging this thread for later use. thx.

boytwoboy

New

Post by boytwoboy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:37 pm

hey everyone,

what does this mean:
"PTs 45-54 (10) " ?

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:41 pm

holy crap! I wish I'd had this before October, you're awesome! :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:45 pm

I was wondering when this thread would surface again.

Mad props to your LG study guide..worked wonders for me!

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:33 am

paulmar wrote:I was wondering when this thread would surface again.

Mad props to your LG study guide..worked wonders for me!
Glad I could help.

kilo

New

Post by kilo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:39 am

good post

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:19 pm

CastleRock wrote:

lol me too. verify is my favorite poster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 181 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Pithypike: why do you suggest making the 3 copies of the LGs? How do you incorporate all the copies?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 pm

181 wrote:Pithypike: why do you suggest making the 3 copies of the LGs? How do you incorporate all the copies?
I believe I explained above, though I could be wrong. You make three copies because LG is all about mechanics, and by repeating games you become familiar with the necessary skill set. At this point all games are just variations of other games, so by utterly mastering every single game out there you are better preparing yourself for what they throw at you on test day.

It's important that even if you remember the answers you go through the process each time. Eventually the right answers will pretty much jump off the page at you.

Any other questions let me know.

New

Post by 181 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:04 pm

How do you go about separating the LGs by type without spoiling the problem? When I read your instructions, it sounded to me like I'd have to read the problem, determine its category, and sort it out - but wouldn't this end up subverting the integrity of the scores you get bc you'll already have done some significant work on the problem, essentially?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm

http://powerscore.com/gamesbible/content_game_info.cfm

This lists LG by type from June 2003 on. The link is on the original post as well. You can find the rest of the classifications in the back of the LG Bible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”