Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
idiothek

New

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by idiothek » Sun May 17, 2009 3:20 pm

animechess wrote:Thank you. Do you happen to know what tests are covered in all the books?

1) 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests: ?? (guessing 1-10)
2) 10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests: PT19-28
3) The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTest: ?? (guessing 11-18 and two more out of sequence)

Is there a website that list what each PT is correlated to (i.e. PT 1 = February 1996 – not saying this is valid, just using it to illustrate).

For the sake of expedience does anyone know what the last 10 released lsats are? The ones that Pithypike suggest we take in full the month preceding the test.
'10 actual' = PTs 7-18, except 8&17
'10 more' = PTs 19-28
'next 10' = PTs 29-38

latest 10-
pt48, pt49, pt50, pt51, June 2007, pt52, pt53, pt54, pt55, pt56

EDIT: actually if you're preparing for sept2009, the latest pt would be 57. that should come out sometime in august.

animechess

New

Post by animechess » Sun May 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Very helpful thanks again.

2011hopeful

New

Post by 2011hopeful » Tue May 19, 2009 10:51 pm

latest 10-
I'm impressed that you remembered the June 2007 exam. Most people forget about it because it isn't numbered.

idiothek

New

Post by idiothek » Wed May 20, 2009 12:06 am

2011hopeful wrote:
latest 10-
I'm impressed that you remembered the June 2007 exam. Most people forget about it because it isn't numbered.
haha yeah i have it printed out and labeled as 'pt 51.5'

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:03 pm

pithypike wrote:I know. Photocopying and sorting all the LGs was such a bitch. It paid off though.

Have fun! :twisted:

im off to kinkos to do this...fun times!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fs34

New

Post by fs34 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 pm

jr0008 wrote:
pithypike wrote:I know. Photocopying and sorting all the LGs was such a bitch. It paid off though.

Why not just leave the original copy untouched and do your work on a separate sheet of paper? That way you can repeat the games that are giving you trouble as often as you like. That would save you time and money.

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:50 am

fs34 wrote:
jr0008 wrote:

Why not just leave the original copy untouched and do your work on a separate sheet of paper? That way you can repeat the games that are giving you trouble as often as you like. That would save you time and money.

good point, i just prefer crossing things out and only using the space provided to try and simulate the exam as much as possible.

2011hopeful

New

Post by 2011hopeful » Mon May 25, 2009 8:38 am

Limiting yourself to space provided is extremely important with games.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 am

2011hopeful wrote:Limiting yourself to space provided is extremely important with games.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2011hopeful

New

Post by 2011hopeful » Mon May 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Quoted by Pithypike! I'm adding this to my resume.

tj1320

New

Post by tj1320 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 am

CRJC wrote:
BlackJack wrote:I think most people prep in the same way, regardless of whether you do the following consciously or unconsciously and whether you take a course or not.

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

That's the way I see it anyway.

i really wish i would have realized this before starting to study, as it is a really important point. there is an order to those factors, and i've just been bombarding myself with everything at once..
That is exactly what my problem is. I felt like I could not afford to do much untimed, "learn the process" work and I have suffered mightily because of it. I'm doing it in those three phases next time around. Hopefully that will help me get a full ride through school.

2011hopeful

New

Post by 2011hopeful » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Yeah, when you're just learning, it's best to take as much time as you need.

It's hard to figure things out when you constantly feel like you have to watch the clock.

hartshorneroot

New

Post by hartshorneroot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm

I was a logic games n00b, read the LG bible, and within 3 weeks of my first cold test I was acing the section every time, in under 30 minutes. If you're using some other method and having trouble, stop being stubborn and give in...to success!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Justice4All

New

Post by Justice4All » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

rocklos

New

Post by rocklos » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 pm

The study guide is great, thanks for breaking it down for us.

But I don't think the numbers next to the game types in month one match? I'm assuming the numbers in parentheses are the PT numbers.

Month 1:
LG: (# of game type through PT 44-Powerscore Classification)
Basic Linear - Balanced (23)
Basic Linear - Overloaded (5)-undefined
Basic Linear - Underfunded (5) there is only one basic linear game on the test
Advanced Linear - Balanced (25)
Advanced Linear - Overloaded (4)-balanced
Advanced Linear - Underfunded (7)-balanced

I might completely wrong and confused, which wont be surprising, but I just want to follow this great study guide step by step.

and does any one have any suggestions how to do more LR questions?? I'm thinking about buying the PT tests 7-18 and using them as my drills that should get me more LR questions.

But anymore books I could buy??

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:24 am

Those are not PrepTest numbers. They're the quantity of games of each type.

For LR practice, you can use the Mastery Practice Book, not Mastery Homework. The Mastery Practice book takes a bunch of real LSAT questions and organizes them by type.

It's normally only available through their prep course, but you can get it on Amazon.

You can get more book recommendations here.

YoungLLChamp

New

Post by YoungLLChamp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:52 pm

You can look for the Mastery Practice on ebay if you don't find it on Amazon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BKMorris

New

Post by BKMorris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm trying to get my study materials in order. Did I overlook a discussion of which LR Bible chapter goes with which Mastery chapter? Some of the chapter names don't match, and it isn't always clear to me how they relate. Can anyone help?
Last edited by BKMorris on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKMorris

New

Post by BKMorris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Oh yeah...and the same question goes with regard to the logic game chapters.

Thanks!

pandora

New

Post by pandora » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 am

Question,

This Kaplan Mastery book, should we review the explanations that are provided for the Logical reasoning sections? . My brother took this course as well and he has a whole set of books that he gave to me (untouched) that are labeled Kaplan Mastery, Endurance, and Practice.

I wasn't sure if we should review all the explanations they provide.

Thanks!
Last edited by pandora on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:33 pm

pandora wrote:Question,

This Kaplan Mastery book, should we review the explanations that are provided for the Logical reasoning sections? I have the actual classroom sets because a friend of mine gave me her books and never even touched them. I dont think I am quite sure what everyone is referring to when they are taking about the "kaplan Mastery book"? My brother took this course as well and he has a whole set of books that he gave to me (untouched) that are labeled Kaplan Mastery, Endurance, and Practice.

Btw I have the 2008 edition. I dont even know if I plan on using them, but feel like I should since I have them on hand!

I would appreciate it if someone could help clear the confusion!
That is the Kaplan Maytery book everyone is talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 am

pandora wrote:Question,

This Kaplan Mastery book, should we review the explanations that are provided for the Logical reasoning sections? . My brother took this course as well and he has a whole set of books that he gave to me (untouched) that are labeled Kaplan Mastery, Endurance, and Practice.

I wasn't sure if we should review all the explanations they provide.

Thanks!
Their explanations did not help me much, if anything they made things worse. I usually refer back to the LR bible and figure out what i did wrong. Make sure u review the corresponding sections in the bible before you practice as well.

ahk!

New

Post by ahk! » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 am

hi everyone,

for those of you who have followed pithypike's study guide, i would appreciate any help with the LG portion. i've copied and sorted the games and i've got a nice fat 3-ring binder to prove it. but how should i proceed through the PS bible?

should i read, for example, chapter 2 - basic linear games, do the drills within that chapter, as well as the handful of practice games, and finally go through all the basic linear games that i've copied? (then i would start over & repeat with the subsequent chapters)

-OR-

should i read through all the chapters (including the drills + practice games) in immediate succession so as to familiarize myself with all the game types and then go through all the copied games type by type?

thanks for your help guys

nallku

New

Post by nallku » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:05 am

When I went through Powerscore, I did the homework after learning that section (I took the course and had the bibles). By doing some of the grouping games and then moving on allows you to learn the technique. After you master the techniques, you will be able to 1) identify what type of game it is and 2) be able to properly attack it on practice tests. That is my $.02 based on experience. (i.e do the first method not the second)

ladyarglwydds

New

Post by ladyarglwydds » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm in the process and i'm ready the section in the LGB doing the q's in the book and then doing some of the questions ive photocopied, and then move on to the next section and when i do the questions... i do some of the new type with some of the old type as well...
i hope i explained myself there...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”