Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
VSFula14

New

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Post by VSFula14 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

So I'm am planning on taking the LSATs in June next year and my plan was to start studying in January. While I know that, typically, this is more than enough time to study, I don't have a normal schedule of school or a 9-5 job. I'm a Peace Corps volunteer and I won't be back in the states until April (though I will briefly be home for Christmas this year, which is when I plan on getting a lot of my prep stuff). Between projects, traveling and trying not to neglect my host family/village, I can't really dedicate 4-5 hours a day to studying.

I plan to do that once I get home.

What sort of advice can you give on this point? I was thinking of doing more lighter studying while still in Senegal - going over the LG and LR bibles, doing games and such when I have time even a few PTs once my COS (close of service) nears and my work is done. But the hard core, every day 4-5 hours and 3 PTs a week I plan on saving for when I'm home and can live in the library.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:02 am

Bump for June takers. This is still the best way to get a good LSAT score.

jasonleb1

New

Post by jasonleb1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Is Kaplan Premier 2014/2015 a suitable substitute for Kaplan Mastery? They don't seem to be publishing Mastery anymore.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:52 pm

jasonleb1 wrote:Is Kaplan Premier 2014/2015 a suitable substitute for Kaplan Mastery? They don't seem to be publishing Mastery anymore.
I would avoid Kaplan, I think the main function that mastery served was providing problem sets but you can get the Cambridge bundles for that now.

Ndfan2373

New

Post by Ndfan2373 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Hey, i am a new poster studying for the September LSAT. Would someone mind updating the books needed for this study schedule? Obviously the PS Bibles are still pertinent, but looking online, i haven't been able to find some of the resources mentioned by Pithypike? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun May 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Ndfan2373 wrote:Hey, i am a new poster studying for the September LSAT. Would someone mind updating the books needed for this study schedule? Obviously the PS Bibles are still pertinent, but looking online, i haven't been able to find some of the resources mentioned by Pithypike? Thanks.
Pithypike wrote:You will need:
Kaplan Mastery (Kaplan's Big Orange Book is no longer available)
Powerscore Logic Games Bible (LGB)
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (LRB)
All 3 of the '10 More LSAT" series
The most recent 10 PTs
Official LSAT SuperPrep
3 months (more or less - adjust to your rate of progress but do not try to cram)
-Kaplan Mastery is no longer needed or useful (or available). Instead use the Cambridge LSAT bundles. They can be found and downloaded online.
-Both powerscore books are still useful, although you might also look into Blueprint for LG
-There are now 5 of the "10 more" LSAT series, they can be found online. Additional tests can be purchased online via Cambridge or the LSAT blog. Honestly idk if you need the first two of this series since the material will be covered in the bundles.
-Still get superprep, but be sure to get the "new" version from Amazon. Older versions don't cover comparative reading or some of the new LG question types.
-3 months is doable, but 4-5 is much more comfortable, especially if you intend to drill Logical Reasoning. This can also be done via Cambridge bundles.

interested53

New

Post by interested53 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi, first time poster and taker of the LSAT, so just needed some clarification:

For the cambridge bundles: Which ones should I be looking to purchase?
- Should I be getting the Ultimate LSAT prep packages or look into getting the Endurance ones? Would there be a disadvantage if I don't get the endurance 6 section or 5 section ones?
- Or is it just fine getting the LR, LC and LG by type?

For the New version of the Superprep: Does this mean the one that covers the 3 tests (Feb. 2000, Feb. 1999, Feb. 1996)?

The most recent 10 PTs: Isn't this in the 10 More LSAT Volume 5?

Thanks for the help in advance

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 20, 2014 5:02 pm

You should be getting "by type."

Yes, that is the correct copy, I just meant to buy it "new" from Amazon because there is no way to tell what edition you're getting if you go used.

Coincidentally, yes the ten most recent are in that volume. It's not always available though, in which case you've gotta get them individually from Cambridge or similar.

Good Luck!

Joseph

New

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:03 am

so this might be a stupid question, but what does he mean by "Role of a Statement"? At first I thought it was PS's Method of Reasoning - Argument, but I don't think he would have added role of statement if it were the same as "method of argument".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

topdreg

New

How to combine Cambridge LSAT stuff with Pithypike's plan?

Post by topdreg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Just got the Cambridge LSAT endurance bundle and Manhattan LSAT stuff. I plan to drill through all of the LR and LG stuff, and was wondering as to how rigidly I should follow Pithypike's advice? Should I go through ALL of the Assumption, Strengthen/Weaken, and Flaw questions in Cambridge drill sections, before moving onto the other question types? That's what I'm currently planning to do. Maybe just do a majority of them and do the rest later in some random order with other question types? I don't think there's a clear decision to make here, but I was wondering if anyone could weigh in an opinion on that?

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm about to start studying for the LSAT, and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this method lately?

Also since the Kaplan Mastery book is no longer sold anymore, what book would I use to replace it with?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 pm

It's the gold standard for self study. Use cambridge packets instead of the Kaplan book. Also, you should buy everything either before Monday because as of then all old tests will no longer be sold online in PDF format.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Details and discussion on the PDF change:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=245253

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Pneumonia wrote:It's the gold standard for self study. Use cambridge packets instead of the Kaplan book. Also, you should buy everything either before Monday because as of then all old tests will no longer be sold online in PDF format.

As for the Cambridge packets, should I buy only the logical reasoning seeing as how that's all the Kaplan mastery was being used for or all of the Cambridge packets?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Yeah just the LR, from PR's 1-38

x.ross

New

Post by x.ross » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Thank you very much! Anything else you might recommend to help me out?

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:55 am

bump

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:14 am

Pneumonia wrote:It's the gold standard for self study. Use cambridge packets instead of the Kaplan book. Also, you should buy everything either before Monday because as of then all old tests will no longer be sold online in PDF format.
Gold standard 7 years later gives me warm and fuzzies.

If anybody who still has an interest in this wants to send me proposals for how to update the primary post in order to reflect new materials, etc. that would be awesome. I'd love to update this to keep it relevant and useful for all the 0Ls out there.

TLS is a great community! With the advice here I ended up at a law school I was happy with and a great job. This place is tops. :mrgreen:

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Nice to see you back in here, pithypike.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 pm

I used your method and ended up at a T14 which was my goal. Thanks! What are you up to these days?

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 am

Mid-level at a firm in NY. I miss the LSAT. :D

Glad I could help!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

josh9308

New

Post by josh9308 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 pm

I have the Powerscore LG, LR, LSAT Trainer, and 10 Actual LSATs.

Are these materials adequate for a 3 month study process? Do I need more LSAT test booklets? Thanks for the help.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon May 18, 2015 9:50 pm

You'll need more for drilling at least. 10 PTs is on the low side, but I guess enough for three months

Shcamz

New

Post by Shcamz » Tue May 26, 2015 10:14 am

Hey I came across this guide last night and have a question..

Which LG sections am I exactly photocopying?

Thanks!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Shcamz wrote:Hey I came across this guide last night and have a question..

Which LG sections am I exactly photocopying?

Thanks!
3 copies each of games from PT's 1-38 (available as such from Cambridge LSAT). First set of copies, sort by type and do 4 at a time (untimed). Second set of copies, randomize and do 4 at a time (untimed). 3rd set of copies, randomize and do 4 at a time (35 minute timer).

If you want you can skip the second step and just go straight into timed, and do your 3rd set as 5-section, randomized, 35 minute timer (that's what i did). For anything you do timed, don't stop at 35 minutes if you're not done, but also don't count as "correct" anything you got after the 35 minutes were up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”