BP' or TM's or PS's online course to move up from ~170? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
blhblahblah

Bronze

Re: BP' or TM's or PS's online course to move up from ~170?

Post by blhblahblah » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Here's a tip to make the whole issue easier to understand: When someone calls you retarded, they don't actually think you have a physiological disability. It's a colloquialism that suggests you are foolish or acting foolishly. So responding with a self-report of your IQ doesn't refute the assertion. Paradoxically, it only reinforces the original idea.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:35 pm

simple jack.

Stephx52

New

Post by Stephx52 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:57 pm

bluejayk wrote:You seem to be confused about more than just the LSAT. There's a difference between being an asshole and being a douchebag. The guy who called you retarded is an asshole. Originally, based on your posts in this thread, I'd have pegged you as a douchebag. However, after your breathless defense of mentioning your IQ.. well, maybe the Asperger's syndrome guy is right.

Here's a tip to make the whole issue easier to understand: When someone calls you retarded, they don't actually think you have a physiological disability. It's a colloquialism that suggests you are foolish or acting foolishly. So responding with a self-report of your IQ doesn't refute the assertion. Paradoxically, it only reinforces the original idea.

You come off really douchey in that last post man, give it a rest. Never, ever mention what you believe your IQ is unless directly questioned about it. That's serious advice.
:lol:

To the OP: I recently attended two of Robin Singh's workshops, and found the LG workshop particularly useful in explaining diagram strategies, inferences, and a whole lot more. Enrolled TM students have access to both videos of these workshops, and sections the workshops cover. Maybe contact TM and see if there's any way you can purchase access to LG video explanations?

pretzellogic

New

Post by pretzellogic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks for the serious advice. I've met few men (or boys) who are so specially abled that they can clearly define the difference between a douchebag and an asshole. Those shades of meaning are lost on most people. Never mention my IQ unless asked about it? Well, except on this single internet board, I've never mentioned it to anyone except close friends and family -- but I wasn't always asked about it directly before I mentioned it. When will the sky begin falling?

Why shouldn't I mention it without being directly asked? If you mention your IQ, is there a danger of an irate kid in his early 20's jumping out from behind the nearest bush and assaulting me or something? I'll just assume that's the case. Thanks for the heads up.

Another response: the term mental retardation does not refer to a physiological disorder. It does not imply a particular etiology in any way. (Of course, you might hold that all mental states have a physiological counterpart...)

To the other guy: There was no breathless defense. I know a breathless defense, and that wasn't it. In fact, I don't really care, per se, I am just the type of person who is compelled to respond to negative comments. (Just as I responded to the guy who first said retarded despite, obviously, not actually caring.)

Now, here it is. Here's why getting bothered by the mention of IQ ON THIS BOARD is ridiculous.

In the end, it boils down to this: The fact that you're hung up on mentioning IQ scores is silly. This whole board is in no way lacking for people talking about the LSAT and there are many, many mentions of their scores. The LSAT is not much worse for estimating intelligence than are many IQ tests. In fact, MENSA used to accept it!!! The fact that you don't get up tight when people mention their LSAT scores yet you freak when someone speaks of IQ is silly. Period. You can't avoid that fact. You're posting in the LSAT prep forum, simple logic shouldn't be hard for you to handle.

Here's the tests American Mensa takes -- turns out they *still* take the LSAT. Huh. That indicates that MENSA, an organization which allows very few "modern" standardized tests to qualify members, considers the LSAT to be a reasonable IQ test, at least at higher score levels. Start bugging the people who mention their LSAT scores or stop getting uptight about IQ -- because the LSAT *is* an IQ test, and is efficacious as such, at least for those with high IQ's, at a level which is acceptable to the largest high IQ organization in the world. Since the first choice is ridiculous, stop being so uptight about IQ. Of course, you might get on someone's case for mentioning their LSAT in response to someone calling them retarded, but I doubt you would. In that case, at least you'd make sense. Regardless, all of you just let it go now, huh? I'm having trouble breathing in the midst of this heated internet discussion. Take your LSAT, pretend it doesn't in any way measure intelligence, and I'll oblige you by never, ever, ever using the word IQ, which serves as reminder (apparently a painful one to you) of the fact that there is such a thing as intelligence and that people possess it in differing amounts.

Mensa Req'ts:
LSAT*** prior to 1982 662
effective 1982 95
(total percentile rank)

http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/Nav ... s.htm#LSAT

Never, ever mention your LSAT score unless directly asked. That's serious advice.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:46 pm

pretzellogic wrote:Thanks for the serious advice. I've met few men (or boys) who are so specially abled that they can clearly define the difference between a douchebag and an asshole. Those shades of meaning are lost on most people. Never mention my IQ unless asked about it? Well, except on this single internet board, I've never mentioned it to anyone except close friends and family -- but I wasn't always asked about it directly before I mentioned it. When will the sky begin falling?

Why shouldn't I mention it without being directly asked? If you mention your IQ, is there a danger of an irate kid in his early 20's jumping out from behind the nearest bush and assaulting me or something? I'll just assume that's the case. Thanks for the heads up.

Another response: the term mental retardation does not refer to a physiological disorder. It does not imply a particular etiology in any way. (Of course, you might hold that all mental states have a physiological counterpart...)

To the other guy: There was no breathless defense. I know a breathless defense, and that wasn't it. In fact, I don't really care, per se, I am just the type of person who is compelled to respond to negative comments. (Just as I responded to the guy who first said retarded despite, obviously, not actually caring.)

Now, here it is. Here's why getting bothered by the mention of IQ ON THIS BOARD is ridiculous.

In the end, it boils down to this: The fact that you're hung up on mentioning IQ scores is silly. This whole board is in no way lacking for people talking about the LSAT and there are many, many mentions of their scores. The LSAT is not much worse for estimating intelligence than are many IQ tests. In fact, MENSA used to accept it!!! The fact that you don't get up tight when people mention their LSAT scores yet you freak when someone speaks of IQ is silly. Period. You can't avoid that fact. You're posting in the LSAT prep forum, simple logic shouldn't be hard for you to handle.

Here's the tests American Mensa takes -- turns out they *still* take the LSAT. Huh. That indicates that MENSA, an organization which allows very few "modern" standardized tests to qualify members, considers the LSAT to be a reasonable IQ test, at least at higher score levels. Start bugging the people who mention their LSAT scores or stop getting uptight about IQ -- because the LSAT *is* an IQ test, and is efficacious as such, at least for those with high IQ's, at a level which is acceptable to the largest high IQ organization in the world. Since the first choice is ridiculous, stop being so uptight about IQ. Of course, you might get on someone's case for mentioning their LSAT in response to someone calling them retarded, but I doubt you would. In that case, at least you'd make sense. Regardless, all of you just let it go now, huh? I'm having trouble breathing in the midst of this heated internet discussion. Take your LSAT, pretend it doesn't in any way measure intelligence, and I'll oblige you by never, ever, ever using the word IQ, which serves as reminder (apparently a painful one to you) of the fact that there is such a thing as intelligence and that people possess it in differing amounts.

Mensa Req'ts:
LSAT*** prior to 1982 662
effective 1982 95
(total percentile rank)

http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/Nav ... s.htm#LSAT

Never, ever mention your LSAT score unless directly asked. That's serious advice.
omg.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tocanuk

New

Post by tocanuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Dear "Isaac Yankem, DDS",

Pretzel was looking for you. He told me to tell you that he wants to swap subject titles with your thread.

Sincerely,

- The Management

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”