How did your real LSAT score differ from your practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CCA

New

Re: How did your real LSAT score differ from your practice?

Post by CCA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:57 pm

I don't like this thread at all. I always expected to be more focused on the real one, but I guess it can definitely go the other way. For the people that answered, was your practice mostly at home or in a test center environment?

kritiosboy

New

Post by kritiosboy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:58 pm

I had an average score of 167, having taken 10-15 PT's under pretty realistic testing conditions. Highest score (once): 171, lowest score (twice): 166.

Despite being sick on the real thing, I scored a 169. I scored better because on the real thing, I focused and my training took over. I wasn't thinking,it felt like I was in autopilot and all my practice seemingly paid off.

I'm re-taking because I was sick and felt I could have done even better that day. Through 15 PT's I've averaged 91.0 CR's, or approx a 171-172. I'm hoping test day adrenaline will shore up some of the dumb mistakes and I'll around there or a bit better.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:59 pm

I studied everywhere, including a quiet library and noisy fast food restaurant. I wasn't at all phased by the testing environment--quite the contrary actually, columbia has very good desk space--but I got hit with the then new comparative RC sections (one real, one experimental), which I hadn't seen before. If a couple more points would have made a big difference, I probably would have retaken, but as a splitter I don't think it would have mattered.

The takeaway, if you will, is that if you're someone who doesn't get really anxious when taking tests, you can expect to do about as well as you've practiced, provided you've practiced sufficiently (obviously not the case for me).

Carpathian1

New

Post by Carpathian1 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:20 am

Like many other june test takers, I got fucked on the Cakewalk/Oil questions; I went from a 172 practice average to 165 on the real deal. Shit happens I guess, but I hate that stupid dance now.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 am

This page just made my blood pressure rise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:25 am

This topic is extremely lame.

Look, if you are nervous as hell on test day your score will likely go down.

If you are rested and relaxed and approach the test like any other test you will do just fine.

So, the factor which will lead to a test day decrease is your own psychological state at the time. Completely within your control, no point in worrying about it.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 am

I also think a lot of people cheat on their PTs. When people say their score went down, I tink a lot of time it is because people didn't take them in real conditions, or added a few points saying "oh, it was just a dumb mistake, and I won't make that on the real thing." I think more people are guilty of this than people who aren't.

vasiok

Bronze

Post by vasiok » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 am

ColtonDLong wrote:I also think a lot of people cheat on their PTs. When people say their score went down, I tink a lot of time it is because people didn't take them in real conditions, or added a few points saying "oh, it was just a dumb mistake, and I won't make that on the real thing." I think more people are guilty of this than people who aren't.

Ditto.

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 am

I agree that people cheat themselves. In my case, I think I gained some points on my preptest average (which was 168.5).

Now, we'll see if I eat those words.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Yeah,
If you simulate test conditions, like I tried to (especially on my last 10 PTs), you'll get nervous and anxious like you do on the real thing. Although I got more nervous on the real thing, I was used to the anxiety by then. If my score substantially went down, I think it was an outlier, and I messed up. Nerves only harm you if you let them. In my case, I found that it forced me to focus more. This isn't a personal thing, it has to do with realizing the importance of the test when you're taking it. I don't buy the "just relax" crap. Some people aren't good at "just relaxing," and you're perpetuating a myth by saying nerves will only harm you in the end. I think it is possible I did better due to my nerves.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:08 pm

My practice scores were consistently 7-8 points higher than I scored on test day. Although, I'd never missed more than 2 in RC and I missed 7 on test day. That section really threw me off :? Sorry, I know that's discouraging.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:44 pm

My last three practice tests were 172, 170, 171. then i made a 170 on the actual test. My hand was shaking at the first of the test and i was so nervous i spelled my name wrong and put my birthdate wrong at first and had to change it. So even though I was basically having an anxiety attack, (and my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me the night before) I still tested at about the same as my practice test.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I got a little above my pre-test average. I prayed before the exam, and I attribute my score to that. It relaxed me, helped me focus, and ultimately gave me the kind of confidence I needed to just go at the exam.
I recommend that no matter what religion or spirituality you have you take the time to perform a ritual that relaxes you and brings you to center before the exam. Ultimately it's mostly nervousness that lowers one's score, because most takers are prepped to the limit (in my opinion).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:34 pm

just a girl wrote:I got a little above my pre-test average. I prayed before the exam, and I attribute my score to that. It relaxed me, helped me focus, and ultimately gave me the kind of confidence I needed to just go at the exam.
I recommend that no matter what religion or spirituality you have you take the time to perform a ritual that relaxes you and brings you to center before the exam. Ultimately it's mostly nervousness that lowers one's score, because most takers are prepped to the limit (in my opinion).
Out of curiosity, what god(s?) did you pray to? I'd like to know if I have to retake.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:57 pm

just a girl wrote:I got a little above my pre-test average. I prayed before the exam, and I attribute my score to that. It relaxed me, helped me focus, and ultimately gave me the kind of confidence I needed to just go at the exam.
Got it.

deleted

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 am

A lot of people seem to compare scores instead of raw scores, which is kind of misleading. I was averaging about 84-86 raw score, which was anywhere from 162-168, so it's hard to really gauge it.

thisbigolclub

New

Post by thisbigolclub » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:26 am

chadstew55 wrote:My last three practice tests were 172, 170, 171. then i made a 170 on the actual test. My hand was shaking at the first of the test and i was so nervous i spelled my name wrong and put my birthdate wrong at first and had to change it. So even though I was basically having an anxiety attack, (and my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me the night before) I still tested at about the same as my practice test.
That is absolutely incredible. If my girlfriend(of two years as well) and I had broken up the night before the test, I would have been a wreck. You've got nerves of steel my friend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thisbigolclub

New

Post by thisbigolclub » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:27 am

Are people considering the change from their PT average or their PT maximum. Also, if one averages all their PTs, the score will certainly be a lot lower than, say, their last 10.

ColtonDLong

New

Post by ColtonDLong » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 pm

jawsome wrote:A lot of people seem to compare scores instead of raw scores, which is kind of misleading. I was averaging about 84-86 raw score, which was anywhere from 162-168, so it's hard to really gauge it.
Not true. The scale is really pretty accurate. It is set at difficulty levels for the test test among other things. As the average for many years running has been right around a 155, scaled scores seem to be a better indicator. The precentage of distribution is usually very similar, and while some scales certainly are too strict they are at least as reliable if not more so than raw scores. Plus it gives you a better outlook on the unpredictability of a test.

her034

New

Post by her034 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:14 pm

x
Last edited by her034 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm

I've taken it 3 times. '

First time, averaged 168-170, freaked out, got a 162.
Second time, averaged 172-175, got a 169
Third time, was banging out 177+ pretty consistently toward the end with 2 180s, still awaiting score. we shall see

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I think the idea of planning for a drop is a joke... I haven't gotten my score back but I know I took pt's under test conditions, and a took a ton of them... wasn't nervous a bit... I'm sure I scored same/better...

That test makes a living on your fear...

jayhawkai

New

Post by jayhawkai » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 am

Time to update this thread, guys.

MHP

New

Post by MHP » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:45 am

Five points higher than average.

Took about thirty timed practice tests.

Started at 160, cold.

Toward the end: 168, 172, 169, 172, 169, 169

Confidence is key. I am older, happily married, work as a special ed teacher, have a darling dog and a calm life. I brought no neuroses to the testing center. Since it was a big, public university (a rival school of my alma mater, at that) there was a lot of anxiety to go around already (lots of college kids, banking on going straight from undergrad to law school and completely fearful of any alternatives). Stay even-keeled. It is not the end of the world either way. I left the test feeling great. I had some bloody marys downtown and found the perfect pair of vintage cowboy boots for thirty bucks. Now they are lucky, n'est-ce-pas?

MHP

New

Post by MHP » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 am

Oh, yeah,

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”