Wearing EAR PLUGS during the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TLSocrates

New

Wearing EAR PLUGS during the LSAT?

Post by TLSocrates » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 am

Probably another stupid question, but since everyone complains about testing noises and distractions while taking the LSAT, has anyone considered bringing ear plugs? Are they prohibited? Has anyone done this on the real LSAT?

Thanks.

arnie162

New

Re: Wearing EAR PLUGS during the LSAT?

Post by arnie162 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 am

hey. they're prohibited. it makes sense, when you think about it; if someone's wearing ear plugs and can't hear the STOP at the end of the section, they may get slightly more time than someone else.

prelaw76

New

Post by prelaw76 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Ear plugs are a big no no.

Just train yourself to become desensitized to distractions by practicing with them. Get a group of friends together to take practice tests, practice in a public setting (starbucks perhaps), or use the LSAT Proctor DVD (http://www.lsatproctor.com)

I think one of the most important things is to not become mad at the person who is making the distracting noises. Once you become mad, your cortisol levels will increase higher than they already are (due to the stress of the LSAT), and your performance will be affected. Instead you need to become so comfortable with them during your practice tests that ignoring them will be very easy and your focus will not be broken.

For those of you wondering, google "cortisol" and read. There is a lot of interesting information out there.

Harry Ballsogna

New

Post by Harry Ballsogna » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 pm

prelaw76 wrote:Ear plugs are a big no no.

Just train yourself to become desensitized to distractions by practicing with them. Get a group of friends together to take practice tests, practice in a public setting (starbucks perhaps), or use the LSAT Proctor DVD (http://www.lsatproctor.com)

I think one of the most important things is to not become mad at the person who is making the distracting noises. Once you become mad, your cortisol levels will increase higher than they already are (due to the stress of the LSAT), and your performance will be affected. Instead you need to become so comfortable with them during your practice tests that ignoring them will be very easy and your focus will not be broken.

For those of you wondering, google "cortisol" and read. There is a lot of interesting information out there.

Good post. This is exactly why I do a majority of my studying in Panera, or Starbucks. If you can tune distractions out at these two places, the controlled setting of the LSAT should offer no problems. I take all of my practice tests in the public library, because I think that is the closest thing I can do to replicate testing conditions. Public libraries are quiet for the most part, but there are still enough rude/clueless people that talk and do annoying things to offer minor distractions.

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:03 pm

I don't know if it's just me but the opposite is also true. If you are used to a noisy environment, a totally silent, distract-free environment will unnerve you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSocrates

New

Post by TLSocrates » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks to you all for the great advice.

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 pm

joonbug wrote:I don't know if it's just me but the opposite is also true. If you are used to a noisy environment, a totally silent, distract-free environment will unnerve you.
That is a good point actually. Test distractions are not a constant thing like you would encounter in a busy starbucks or cafeteria. They are more sporadic. Like 30 seconds of silence, then a distraction, etc.

yolanda32

New

Post by yolanda32 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Thanks for the information. I hate studying at Panera... all that damn fake jazz music, not even close to the real thing!

Robert398

New

Post by Robert398 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Definitely!! Great advice. Stress actually interferes with logical processing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:48 am

Why are ear plugs banned? Because they may help your score go up... thats why haha

janpower

New

Post by janpower » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:14 am

Robert398 wrote:

Someone could be feeding you the answers. Ever think of that?

yolanda32

New

Post by yolanda32 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:49 pm

janpower wrote:
Robert398 wrote:

That is highly unlikely since they would have to have a copy of the test... how would they get it, and how would they ensure it matches the test of the cheater?

janpower

New

Post by janpower » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:42 am

yolanda32 wrote:
janpower wrote:
Robert398 wrote:

That is highly unlikely since they would have to have a copy of the test... how would they get it, and how would they ensure it matches the test of the cheater?
Maybe someone giving the test could be feeding a test taker the answers. Although, that wouldn't make any sense. You're right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:18 am

here's a thought: they could have a camera in the glasses, and read the questions simultaneously.

thecaseman805

New

Post by thecaseman805 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 am

Camera glasses that can wirelessly transmit photos + radio earpeace + a team of people helping you with LSAT problems = Extremely unlikely

Unless James Bond had to get into YLS

marieriesberg

New

Post by marieriesberg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm

thecaseman805 wrote:Camera glasses that can wirelessly transmit photos + radio earpeace + a team of people helping you with LSAT problems = Extremely unlikely

Unless James Bond had to get into YLS
Or Angelina Jolie. :D

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I just punctured my ear drums before the test. Problem solved. Go hard or go home. Made 1L class difficult though - thank goodness for Glannon E&E.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Harvey Dent

New

Post by Harvey Dent » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:18 pm

I was worried that the noise would be a big problem (I would have loved to use earplugs), but on the big day the adrenaline kicked in and the page flipping and pencil scratching wasn't too much of a hindrance. Still, when I took the test I sat next to this girl who scribbled furiously while diagramming her logic games and it was a little distracting.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:36 pm

musician's earplugs are the best.

monkeywrench

New

Post by monkeywrench » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

thedogship wrote:I just punctured my ear drums before the test
I'm thinking of growing my hair long and shoving them in the ole ear holes

Carnodel

New

Post by Carnodel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 am

janpower wrote:
yolanda32 wrote:
Robert398 wrote:

Maybe someone giving the test could be feeding a test taker the answers. Although, that wouldn't make any sense. You're right.
makes perfect sense to me

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marieriesberg

New

Post by marieriesberg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Carnodel wrote:
janpower wrote:
Robert398 wrote:

makes perfect sense to me
So I was right in the first place, yay!

RRoss

New

Post by RRoss » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 am

monkeywrench wrote:
That may be a good idea actually.

Also, I never punctured my ear drum, but I just recently had a really bad ear infection that caused that part of the ear, which has a thin layer of skin or whatever between it and the inner ear to help protect mucus from getting out and bacteria and dirt from getting in, to break open.

Yeah, it was pretty painful, and my hearing out of that ear is slightly muffled now, so maybe one positive is that it may help me on the test not hear annoying people around me on the right side. Although, I think it will be more of a distraction itself if it still hurts by then, which God, I hope it doesn't still.

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am

RRoss wrote:
monkeywrench wrote:
That may be a good idea actually.

Also, I never punctured my ear drum, but I just recently had a really bad ear infection that caused that part of the ear, which has a thin layer of skin or whatever between it and the inner ear to help protect mucus from getting out and bacteria and dirt from getting in, to break open.

Yeah, it was pretty painful, and my hearing out of that ear is slightly muffled now, so maybe one positive is that it may help me on the test not hear annoying people around me on the right side. Although, I think it will be more of a distraction itself if it still hurts by then, which God, I hope it doesn't still.
I stopped reading at the word "mucus."

helpmeplz91

New

Post by helpmeplz91 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Wearing earplugs seems a bit excessive eh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”